The new Eddie Current 2A3x4
Jan 1, 2015 at 2:48 AM Post #166 of 182

I haven't had a chance to directly compare them directly, but from memory, I think the new 2A3x4 may (take with huge salt grains) edge out the 4-45 in terms of clarity in mids and has a more effortless presentation. Probably because of more power and also because the 2A3's lower plate resistance, which means less wire in the OPT primaries. 4-45 may sound a bit more textured in bass, but that may be because 2A3 has a more bassy organic sound. Not totally sure. 

More of a side-grade than an up-grade from the 445 then? I'm getting used to the rather lean sound of the 445 driving semi modded HD800s. Live music sounds uncannily real. Can't really vouch for other types of music - I'd reach the HE-6 and the Rag.

Jan 3, 2015 at 10:45 AM Post #167 of 182
I heard from other people that EC is now upgrading 2a3mk4, is that true?? when will this be done, I just can't wait to order the latest version ! 

Jan 3, 2015 at 12:56 PM Post #168 of 182
  I heard from other people that EC is now upgrading 2a3mk4, is that true?? when will this be done, I just can't wait to order the latest version ! 

You can ask EC for more info. 

Jan 3, 2015 at 8:23 PM Post #169 of 182
I asked EC last night, and I received the reply " We are going with an amorphous core inter-stage, still waiting for the sample. " well, that's awesome!
ps: anybody know what amorphous core inter-stage is ???

Jan 5, 2015 at 12:30 AM Post #170 of 182
  I asked EC last night, and I received the reply " We are going with an amorphous core inter-stage, still waiting for the sample. " well, that's awesome!
ps: anybody know what amorphous core inter-stage is ???

I believe it means they are changing the transformers.  Amorphous core presumably means they are using an amorphous (non-crystalline) core material for the transformer.  I don't know what that does in terms of the sound produced.  Based on my experience with Craig, though, it will sound fantastic!

Jan 5, 2015 at 12:51 AM Post #171 of 182
beyersmile.png

Jan 5, 2015 at 3:59 PM Post #172 of 182
Craig has been making steady and slow progress on the 2A3mk4. The output transformer has been finalized. It's a Cinemag which has some similarities to the Cinemag in the 4-45, but made for the plate resistance of two paralleled 2A3 tubes obviously. This output transformer replaces the Hammond on the original mk4.

A couple of interstage transformers have been tested. I have heard the interim transformers and they are pretty good sounding, but I think Craig is looking for just the right one; so he's looking at an amorphous C-core. If this interstage transformer lives up to expectations, we can expect the 2A3mk4 to exceed the 4-45 (tonal balance and tube preferences aside). But there are no guarantees in life.

Jan 5, 2015 at 5:53 PM Post #173 of 182
Craig has been making steady and slow progress on the 2A3mk4. The output transformer has been finalized. It's a Cinemag which has some similarities to the Cinemag in the 4-45, but made for the plate resistance of two paralleled 2A3 tubes obviously. This output transformer replaces the Hammond on the original mk4.

A couple of interstage transformers have been tested. I have heard the interim transformers and they are pretty good sounding, but I think Craig is looking for just the right one; so he's looking at an amorphous C-core. If this interstage transformer lives up to expectations, we can expect the 2A3mk4 to exceed the 4-45 (tonal balance and tube preferences aside). But there are no guarantees in life.
And will this eventually be the Levi?

Mar 23, 2015 at 12:07 PM Post #175 of 182
Any updates on this front since then?

Jul 12, 2015 at 1:02 PM Post #176 of 182
Dear 2a3 owners, you may help me :  I have an Eddie Curent 445, but... I really find its sound signature to be too much "dry", too SS style. It is Not the tube signature I was looking for (I definitively want details but I also want some warm & musicality)

Initially I was about to resale myEC445 for a VIVA 845 that I heard in Munich, and that did impress me a lot but, after consideration, I think that a warmer type of tubes like a 2a3 will be better for my taste and for the type of music that I like (no BIG symphonies, but rather more intimate formations, vocals, solo piano, pinkfloyd, pop, ....  for example I much prefer the Beethoven 7th pastorale than the 5th).

I am therefore finally tempted by a VIVA 2a3 instead of the VIVA 845, but...  since the VIVA 2a3 cost 50% more than the EC2a3 and lack the speaker output that the EC2a3 provide, I wonder if the VIVA 2a3 is really better than the EC2a3.

So any advices or comment about the EddieCurent 2a3 V/S it's competitors or other TOL tube amp will be welcome ?  Will the "good looking" Balanced Act also offer a warm sound ? why did you chosed the 2a3 rather than the balancing Act ? 

PS : before I change my EC445 for a 2a3 amp, I may try to change my 445's driver tubes 6C45II-5 for some 5842 tubes like the WE417 that are supposed to be "warmer"  (I already have the 5842->6C45 adapters, I need now to find some good & tested NOS WE417).  Are you aware of this tube roll ?

thank you in advance for any advice that you may provide.

Dec 5, 2015 at 7:54 AM Post #178 of 182
Yes. Since it drives the HE-6 or Abyss with gobs of power, the HEK are easy.

Dec 5, 2015 at 8:11 AM Post #180 of 182
4 ohms full size speakers or AKG K812 - no problems and sounds awesome. The amp deserves better transducers than the HEK - all imo. 

Users who are viewing this thread

Back