The new Eddie Current 2A3x4
Jun 6, 2014 at 10:07 AM Post #106 of 182
Just want to make clear to everyone, I bought a matched quad from a reputable ebay seller, and I do not have any trouble using the other two tubes. The price will include UPS shipping and pp fee, that is why I charge 180 for total because shipping insurance and pp fee will cost me more than 40 usd( I will also let UPS pack for me), I will find the ebay link after work.

I think mine should use Hammond maybe Craig made a mistake about S/N

Jun 6, 2014 at 11:43 AM Post #107 of 182
I wouldn't worry about a dust cover.  Also from my experience you have the power supply WAY too close to the amp.  I am fairly certain if you move it away a couple of feet you will get better performance.

I now have basically as far away from it as cord will allow. I just thought it was strange that I heard way more feedback with eml vs rca. Must be the size of the eml :)

Jun 6, 2014 at 11:49 AM Post #108 of 182
Just want to make clear to everyone, I bought a matched quad from a reputable ebay seller, and I do not have any trouble using the other two tubes. The price will include UPS shipping and pp fee, that is why I charge 180 for total because shipping insurance and pp fee will cost me more than 40 usd( I will also let UPS pack for me), I will find the ebay link after work.

I think mine should use Hammond maybe Craig made a mistake about S/N

Any comments on how the we417a changed the sound?

Jun 6, 2014 at 11:59 AM Post #109 of 182
Hey Crashem, I did not try the raytheon, I have been using 417a since the first time I turned on the amp. I can try to compare them when I have time. 

Jun 6, 2014 at 12:06 PM Post #110 of 182
Raytheons are kind of harsh sounding in comparison with the Amperex gold pins.  Raytheons are more U shaped to me.  Bass is nice but the highs were too much for me.  Amperex has better transparency and a more neutral sound.

Still trying to find some 417a's :p

Jun 6, 2014 at 12:18 PM Post #111 of 182
Raytheons are kind of harsh sounding in comparison with the Amperex gold pins.  Raytheons are more U shaped to me.  Bass is nice but the highs were too much for me.  Amperex has better transparency and a more neutral sound.

Still trying to find some 417a's :p

Did the midrange get better with amperex as well? 2a3 and it's lovely midrange. Plus my lcdx need a little help there.

Jun 6, 2014 at 1:03 PM Post #113 of 182
I now have basically as far away from it as cord will allow. I just thought it was strange that I heard way more feedback with eml vs rca. Must be the size of the eml
smily_headphones1.gif

Maybe check with Craig or EML re: feedback. Although different amp & tube but my EML 45s is dead quiet.

Jun 6, 2014 at 1:39 PM Post #114 of 182
Did the midrange get better with amperex as well? 2a3 and it's lovely midrange. Plus my lcdx need a little help there.

I didn't really notice.  I have an extra pair of amperex I can send to you if you want.  Might be cheaper to snag them off ebay for $30-$40 though.

Jun 7, 2014 at 6:48 PM Post #116 of 182
Well I found the issue with that feedback I was hearing. One of my MIT cables was picking up feedback. Put in way cheaper set of MIT cables and absolute silence. BOGGLE

Jun 10, 2014 at 12:34 PM Post #117 of 182
Well I found the issue with that feedback I was hearing. One of my MIT cables was picking up feedback. Put in way cheaper set of MIT cables and absolute silence. BOGGLE

Hmmm buzz at higher volumes with no music playing is back. Haven't moved equipment or changed tubes on EC. Only thing that has changed is that I put on tube dampeners and I tried it both with tube dampeners and without. Don't hear anything on speakers however, just headphones.

BTW, tried some B&W 805 which are relatively inefficient. I haven't run big ensemble classical on it yet, but it sounds great with rock/jazz. I don't hear any signs of it having problems driving the 805's. However no big bass lines as 805 couldn't reproduce them anyway. In terms of volume, I am just under half on the volume dial to run at loud volumes in 20X30 room.

Jun 10, 2014 at 3:37 PM Post #118 of 182
Try to figure out if it is one channel or both.  That would definitely make it easier to identify the problem

Jun 12, 2014 at 5:07 AM Post #119 of 182
Happening on both channels.  But I have figured out the gross issue.  The slight buzz happens when I turn on the Lampizator.  Now I have relistened to the KGSSHV at max volume and also getting buzz but lower volume.  Spent some time tapping my 6SN7 with a pencil and changing out any potential microphonic ones, but buzz remains.  Starting to think this is ground loop issue of some sort.  Have to hunt down the equipment to identify/fix some of those potential ground loop issues.  Keep you updated.

Jul 6, 2014 at 5:15 PM Post #120 of 182
Anyone interested in my 2A3MKIV can just PM me. Since I will have 445  in the near future, I might let it go in 2 months. I plan to keep one tube amp and one SS amp. 

Users who are viewing this thread

Back