The new Eddie Current 2A3x4
May 30, 2014 at 12:42 AM Post #76 of 182
I am using EML 2A3 mesh and WE417A, I think they works so well with my HD800

May 30, 2014 at 3:08 AM Post #77 of 182
I am using EML 2A3 mesh and WE417A, I think they works so well with my HD800

Was thinking about mesh instead of solid plate. Any thoughts on differences between them for EC 2a3

May 30, 2014 at 9:46 PM Post #78 of 182
I have no idea about the mesh and solid, I only tried mesh with we417a though. 

May 31, 2014 at 2:14 AM Post #79 of 182
May 31, 2014 at 3:36 AM Post #80 of 182
No, I think I will just stick with my EML 2A3 mesh and we417a

Jun 3, 2014 at 3:52 PM Post #81 of 182
Just got my EC 2a3 my iv!! Lots of equipment coming in this week. Going to test with my new lampizator. Also need to play with various tubes. Report for you guys later. As FYI mine came with raytheon 5842 stock. Will compare lcd x and EC 2a3 vs stax sr009 and kgsshv

Jun 3, 2014 at 7:33 PM Post #82 of 182
Pretty awesome so far.  I was listening away with the following chain CAPS Zuma > USB > Lampziator > Single Ended > EC 2A3 MK IV > Balanced Out > LCD-X.

Basically was listening to SACD's on random and zoning out.  When Little Wing came on from Stevie Ray Vaughan's album, The Sky is Crying, I jumped out of my seat because I thought the headphones had unplugged and music was coming out of the speakers.  With a sleeping baby, this is not a good thing.  But I quickly realized that the speakers coming on would be impossible with EC 2A3 Mk IV since it is a switch, but even more basic, there were NO SPEAKERS in the room (doh!).

First time I have had a sound stage with the LCD-X that was so obviously beyond the bounds of the headphones.  On re-listen, I realized the spatial clues I was hearing was that at the beginning on the song, I could now hear the initial guitar riffs reverberate through the room and hit the walls of the recording venue which made me think it was doing the same in my room.  Pretty fricking amazing.  Not sure if it was the EC 2A3 or the Lampizator or the combo that caused this (yet), but I do know I was not hearing the same with the Chord Hugo and the random other amps I was trying.

Jun 4, 2014 at 12:07 PM Post #83 of 182
Switched the RCA Blackplates out for the brand new EML 2A3 solid plates.  The sound definitely took a step back with soundstage shrinking being the most noticeable.  Had to switch them back.  Any thoughts on break in time for EML 2A3 solid plates?

Jun 4, 2014 at 12:37 PM Post #84 of 182
Interesting stuff and congrats on the amp buddy!
Make sure you switch out those Raytheon's, the Amperex are much better.

I am not entirely surprised the EMLs SP sound more forward.  How would you compare the other characteristics of the sound?

Jun 4, 2014 at 1:03 PM Post #85 of 182
I am just wondering, since I am also looking for those NOS tubes, do I really need a matched quad? Can I use two matched pair 2a3?

Jun 4, 2014 at 1:04 PM Post #86 of 182
I heard lots of people on DNA thread tried chinese psvana WR2A3 and shuguang natural sound 2a3, and claimed they are better than EML 2A3 mesh, I really want to try them now...was thinking maybe they will be better. 

Jun 4, 2014 at 1:20 PM Post #87 of 182
I don't think Psvane is recommended due to poor reliability though......seems lots of people (including myself) having sputtering noise problem with their 2A3 tubes. The Shuguang is good but whether it is better than the EML on all areas I am not so sure.

Jun 4, 2014 at 5:39 PM Post #88 of 182
Interesting stuff and congrats on the amp buddy!

Make sure you switch out those Raytheon's, the Amperex are much better.

I am not entirely surprised the EMLs SP sound more forward.  How would you compare the other characteristics of the sound?

I need to do a real listen. Still playing around. Problem is all this new equipment and tube possibilities making it too hard to see what is causing what aside from really gross observations. I did notice more feedback on eml sp when no music playing vs rca.

Jun 4, 2014 at 5:41 PM Post #89 of 182
I am just wondering, since I am also looking for those NOS tubes, do I really need a matched quad? Can I use two matched pair 2a3?

Nope. 2 matched pair is fine. Basically 2 channels with 2 tubes in path so one from each pair in each channel. Try the rca grey plates as similar to black plates if not identical and reasonable pricing/availability on those.

Jun 4, 2014 at 5:56 PM Post #90 of 182
Feedback? There shouldn't be any noise whether music is playing or not. Make sure you have the power supply as far away from the amp as possible. The big OPTs on the mk4 need space from other electronics or else you will likely hear some noise

Users who are viewing this thread

Back