The new Decemberist album
Oct 5, 2006 at 3:19 PM Post #16 of 20
Well, I have the album. Its the usual Decemberists way of life for me...I'm absolutely blown away by one song on the album (the 1st track, "the crane wife") and the rest does nothing for me. I guess I'm not into the whole sea-shanty-mariner vibe I get from them.

It was the same with their past albums: always blown away by one track, i.e. "16 miltary wives" or "July, July" and then can't enjoy the rest of the album.

Anyway, for true fans of the band, I'm sure this album will not disappoint.

Oct 6, 2006 at 3:40 AM Post #17 of 20
I really wanted to find this on vinyl but I have been shut out for a couple days so I bought the CD tonight. I am liking the disc a lot and think it has a similar "feel" to Picaresque, but I think I will like this one more.

Oct 8, 2006 at 3:42 PM Post #18 of 20
Like those above, I've been enjoying this album - chamber folk I guess. For me, it's not quite as good as Picaresque. It seems a litte dis-jointed in spots, only because music like this raises the standards of the listener. If one like's story telling, and are weary of the usual lyrical cliche's, "The Crane Wife" is a good bet.

BTW - this week it's only $7.99 at Best Buy.

Jan 5, 2007 at 8:10 PM Post #20 of 20
Ok, thread necromancer here, but never mind.

I listened to this album for the first time today, and, well, to me it's impressingly boring. Bland pop, bland texts which try to be interesting, and a singer who is not the slightest bit convincing. I just don't believe any of the things he's singing. If you like the murder ballad theme, you should check out Tom Waits' Oprhans, the disc "Bawlers". Now that's a man I can believe.

Ok, I will give it a few more spins, I'm sure that it'll grow on me. Most music does, and I know better than going by first impression. But the thread needed some variaton =P

Users who are viewing this thread

Back