The new Decemberist album
Oct 3, 2006 at 8:37 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 20

humanflyz

Headphoneus Supremus
So, did anyone pick this up today? I bought this along with the new Beck and Hold Steady album. So far, I like it a lot, but then again, this is a biased opinion since I've owned all of their other albums.

Just curious about what other fans of the band's take on this

Oct 3, 2006 at 9:16 PM Post #2 of 20
I think I will be picking up the Decemberists, Beck, Robyn Hitchcok, Pernice Bros., and a newly released Eric Dolphy disc of unreleased takes. I imagine I will buy those on vinyl to the extent I can find them, since I have bought no CDs since getting my new TT. I also need to dig around for some Ry Cooder and a French singer named Camille that a couple other threads got me thinking about . . . it never ends [happily]!
very_evil_smiley.gif

Oct 3, 2006 at 9:20 PM Post #3 of 20
Quote:

Originally Posted by humanflyz
So, did anyone pick this up today? I bought this along with the new Beck and Hold Steady album. So far, I like it a lot, but then again, this is a biased opinion since I've owned all of their other albums.

Just curious about what other fans of the band's take on this

I'll make sure to check it out.

Oct 3, 2006 at 9:23 PM Post #4 of 20
Well, I just finished the first run-through in the library on my laptop, and my first impression is that this is their best album to date. Highly recommended for fans of the band.

Oct 4, 2006 at 12:32 AM Post #5 of 20
I had absolutely no clue they had a new album coming out! Thanks

Oct 4, 2006 at 2:59 AM Post #7 of 20
A great follow up to Picaresque! I like Summersong.

Oct 4, 2006 at 2:48 PM Post #8 of 20
Love it, even better than Picaresque imho.

Oct 5, 2006 at 12:05 AM Post #10 of 20
I'm not yet sure if it's as good as their last album, but it is very good in its own right. The Crane Wife is also not sidestep, more of the same sound kind of thing. There's no question who's playing, but it feels fresh.

Note: These guys are currently on tour. Check out the dates: http://www.decemberists.com/dates.html

Oct 5, 2006 at 12:34 AM Post #11 of 20
It is excellent!

Whew! I always wait for a new album from a band I love with excitement a little worry that I won't enjoy it like the others. This year has given me a few chances to rejoice...Stadium Arcadium, 10,000 Days, and now The Crane Wife.

Oct 5, 2006 at 12:53 AM Post #12 of 20
Quote:

Originally Posted by ogewo
I'm not yet sure if it's as good as their last album, but it is very good in its own right. The Crane Wife is also not sidestep, more of the same sound kind of thing. There's no question who's playing, but it feels fresh.

Note: These guys are currently on tour. Check out the dates: http://www.decemberists.com/dates.html

hmm! only 30 bucks and at the hammerstein!

http://www.ticketmaster.com/event/00...&minorcatid=60

too bad it's on nov 3 - i'll be busy hopefully moving in to my place
evil_smiley.gif

Oct 5, 2006 at 1:06 AM Post #13 of 20
It's an interesting album. I think I like it.

Oct 5, 2006 at 11:55 AM Post #15 of 20
Picked it up today.

Am listening to the track "Shankill Butchers" right now - this album's "Eli The Barrow Boy". It sounds eerily real through my RS-1s.

While Picareque was had more immediate appeal on first listen, imo this album grows on you.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back