The New DAC Super Pro DAC707 USB
Dec 6, 2007 at 7:07 PM Post #4 of 34
just received it in the mail. it came with all the accessories that are shown on obadimports' website.
there is no way for me to test it right now b/c i am at work.
will test it when i get home and let you know how it is.

Dec 6, 2007 at 8:51 PM Post #6 of 34
Quote:

Originally Posted by tjumper78 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
will test it when i get home and let you know how it is.

Waiting eagerly for your impression.

Thanks

Dec 7, 2007 at 2:01 AM Post #7 of 34
As soon as I got home from work, I opened up the package. The packaging made me say "What??"
Everything was there as advertised but they all came in a plastic ziploc bag that had a sticker with "super pro usb" written on it. Well, the DAC itself was wrapped in another plastic wrapper, and covered with bubbly on top of it. The DAC actually looks pretty nice, and feels very sturdy in my hands. I just wish it was not purple...

img1466sx8.jpg

All the accessories looked cheap and felt cheap in my hands. I didn't mind it much because all I wanted was the DAC to work nicely.
I plugged the ac adapter into the dac and noticed that it was not going all the way in into the DAC, and it did not fit tightly into the DAC. Disappointed but oh well, it's not loose at least. See the below picture. Sorry, it's blurry, my camera sucks.

img1473ns9.jpg

My set-up: Dell Inspiron 1505 laptop with a crappy onboard soundcard -> USB cable -> DAC -> RCA cable -> Gilmore Lite w/ DPS -> Sennheiser HD650

I plugged the Radioshack RCA cable (that's all I have for now) into the DAC and Gilmore Lite amp. Then when I was about to plug in the USB cable, I realized that there was no software for this. I looked into the box(the USPS Priority Mail box) and the ziploc but there was no CD. Maybe there is no software at all? I plugged the USB cable into the DAC and my laptop. The laptop right away recognized the DAC and disabled the Windows sound.

img1470gb5.jpg

img1471tl0.jpg

I did not test the coaxial and optical cables on it. I have no idea what the CTL is. It kinda looks like the ethernet cable plug-in. Can anyone tell me what it is? =p

Now the most important part, SQ.
I hate being disappointed so I told myself not to expect too much out of this little purple unit. The SQ was VERY VERY NICE!! This DAC turned the crappy sound of my laptop into nice analog sound, and I was very pleased. I played Upside Down by Jack Johnson, Oxygen by Colbie Caillat, Disconnected by Red Jumpsuit Apparatus, and In The Club by 50Cent because I am gangsta like that. I compared this sound with the one from my stand alone CD players and I did not notice any difference. (However, please keep in mind that my stand alone CD players are not fancy at all.) I paused the music, and turned the amp volume all the way up and there was no hiss or noise at all.
I am a newbie Head-Fi'er so I can not explain the characteristics of the sound or anything in audiophile lingo but I am very pleased with this unit.
I wanted a nice analog sound from my laptop and this DAC just did that nicely.
If you want a USB DAC but don't wanna spend a bunch, I highly recommend this purple DAC.

Thanks for reading.

Dec 7, 2007 at 6:54 AM Post #11 of 34
i have the non usb version of this DAC (used optical input). i ran it both on battery power after breaking it in with the wall transformer. Sounded good for the money, but i wanted more. I had the exact same setup - gilmore lite + DPS + 650's.

it drains ~110mAH. 2000mAH lithiums lasted about 5-6hours before dropping below 12.0v loaded

Essentially it convinced me to buy a DAC1 exactly 1 week later.

Dec 7, 2007 at 8:28 AM Post #12 of 34
Quote:

Originally Posted by jh4db536 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
i have the non usb version of this DAC (used optical input). i ran it both on battery power after breaking it in with the wall transformer. Sounded good for the money, but i wanted more. I had the exact same setup - gilmore lite + DPS + 650's.

it drains ~110mAH. 2000mAH lithiums lasted about 5-6hours before dropping below 12.0v loaded

Essentially it convinced me to buy a DAC1 exactly 1 week later.

dac1 is better but is the super pro worth it at the asking price?

Dec 7, 2007 at 11:52 AM Post #13 of 34
I own the Super Pro USB DAC and I'm quite happy with it, I had a few noise issues and I blamed the DAC but it turned out to be my cheap cable (I now use a BJC LC-1) that picked up noise. The DAC does it's job very well IMhO. It's much better than my soundblaster Live! sound card.
However I'm quite a noob so I can't compare it to any real high end DACs.

Dec 9, 2007 at 12:48 AM Post #14 of 34
Sorry for asking it here but do MacBooks recognize such DACs as well? I’m quite interested in this DAC, is anybody able to test it with a MB(P)? I don’t know much about DACs yet, sorry..
And what about the one without USB? It says "The unit has optical and RCA coaxial digital outputs. Analog output is via standard RCA plugs." - well, no input then? *lol* I’m a bit confused at the moment.

Dec 9, 2007 at 5:30 AM Post #15 of 34
for <$100 for the dac + $25 for a chaintech or your existing soundcard it is one hell of a bargain. it's a small simple device. I was impressed by the cost/performance. just plug it right into your toslink out on your soundcard and plug the IC's into your amp's input. it works, no fussing around.

used with the toslink input itll isolate the computer noise, still has some hiss with IEMs connected directly to the outputs (same with battery or wall plug). I thought it had Very good detail.

im not going to write a review for it because i dont feel i have enough experience. My thoughts are that it will give MUCH more expensive DACs a damn good run for the money.

my only gripe was i wish it came with a mini toslink adapter

Quote:

Originally Posted by kamal007 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
dac1 is better but is the super pro worth it at the asking price?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back