The New Brainwavz S3 “Silver Bullet” Earphones with Clearwavz Remote & Microphone
Sep 25, 2015 at 6:45 PM Post #91 of 316
  What also bugs me is that they claim "accurate sound reproduction" "sure to please any true audiophile". To me these descriptions do not belong on something that is not somewhat neutral. Misleading if you ask me. 

Hmmmm, no. the S3's are a somewhat neutral sounding IEM, with a bit more emphasis on the lower and higher end to make its signature more palatable to the masses(a true neutral signature is not many's cup o tea either). Most all of the better manufacturers do this as, whether you like it or not, they are in the game to make money. YOU are the one not hearing this, because it's not what YOU like, or wanted, to hear. I'd say the majority of us others listening/testing are. Your opinion, duly noted. Not mine, not at all. No lies here at all. 

Sep 25, 2015 at 6:49 PM Post #92 of 316
EDIT: Didn't realize BW changed all s-series IEM to S0-type cables. Comments below pertain to older S1 and S5.

Just cracked the case open. I swear someone asked about whether S3 had the same cable as S5 earlier in the thread. The answer is a definitive NO. The cable, plug, strain reliefs, and y-splitter are the smaller ones used with S0. Much more manageable IMHO than those used with S1 and S5. Nice!

Yes, I was asking about the cables. Glad to hear the cables etc. are the ones used on the S0. They are still sturdy and  durable but not overly so and the y-splitter is just too big on the S5 & S1.

It will be interesting to see if the S3 is different enough from the other S-Series models to make them a worthwhile purchase.

Sep 25, 2015 at 6:50 PM Post #93 of 316
  I had the same issue with the S0 and S5. I personally didn't like their sound, but that doesn't mean it's a bad earphone. The Jive I actually liked, I thought for being under $30 they sounded ridiculously good and definitely closer to neutral then the S0 or S5. 

Then do you mind if I ask you a question? Why did you sign on to review the S3's if all the other S series aren't what you like to hear or review? Sounds like you were setting yourself up to be disappointed, lol. I'd skip over the next in the series if I were you 
wink_face.gif

Sep 25, 2015 at 6:53 PM Post #94 of 316

Yes, I was asking about the cables. Glad to hear the cables etc. are the ones used on the S0. They are still sturdy and  durable but not overly so and the y-splitter is just too big on the S5 & S1.

It will be interesting to see if the S3 is different enough from the other S-Series models to make them a worthwhile purchase.

Yep I love the smaller y- splitter, the other ones looked bulbous and just out of place...but they were sturdy as they get, I tried and tried to break 'em, wasn't gonna happen. Here's to hoping the replacements are just as strong.

Sep 25, 2015 at 6:55 PM Post #95 of 316
  Then do you mind if I ask you a question? Why did you sign on to review the S3's if all the other S series aren't what you like to hear or review? Sounds like you were setting yourself up to be disappointed, lol. I'd skip over the next in the series if I were you 
wink_face.gif

Because of exactly my last post. Their description was "accurate and sure to please any true audiophile". I was expecting them to be different. Exactly why it bugs me. When I read something described as accurate, I expect it to be somewhat neutral since that is what the typical audiophile is after. To me all of my other headphones and IEM'S are neutral and accurate. These do not sound any bit similar. 

Sep 25, 2015 at 7:08 PM Post #96 of 316

Right now all of the S series have the new cables, so that's a plus.and I am wondering the same about the S3, especially in relation to the S1 and the S5.

Sep 25, 2015 at 7:10 PM Post #97 of 316
  Yep I love the smaller y- splitter, the other ones looked bulbous and just out of place...but they were sturdy as they get, I tried and tried to break 'em, wasn't gonna happen. Here's to hoping the replacements are just as strong.

They certainly are sturdy...I'm sure if the cable looks like that of the S0 it should be as durable.

Sep 25, 2015 at 7:14 PM Post #98 of 316
Right now all of the S series have the new cables, so that's a plus.and I am wondering the same about the S3, especially in relation to the S1 and the S5.

I'm hoping to read some reviews from people who enjoy the sound of the other Brainwavz s-series IEMs so they can give a good review that is helpful to me in deciding whether to buy or not.

Sep 25, 2015 at 7:36 PM Post #99 of 316
Marketing speak always chooses to use words that are vague or can be construed many ways. While I am not a fan of marketing speak I don't think of it as misleading but rather the fluff that it is.

In this case accurate seems precise but they don't say what it is accurate to and because nobody but the engineers who record the music we listen to know how they want it to really sound we can't ever really know if what we hear is accurate. The word audiophile is much much worse because there is no real definition or measurable guidelines of what makes audio equipment truly "audiophile". So the term can be used by anyone, it's like saying "my product is the best".

Sep 25, 2015 at 7:42 PM Post #100 of 316

Because of exactly my last post. Their description was "accurate and sure to please any true audiophile". I was expecting them to be different. Exactly why it bugs me. When I read something described as accurate, I expect it to be somewhat neutral since that is what the typical audiophile is after. To me all of my other headphones and IEM'S are neutral and accurate. These do not sound any bit similar. 

I still haven't heard the s3 but IMO in my experience Brainwavz's descriptions aren't 100% accurate and I usually comment on that in my reviews. As far as the liking and disliking goes when writing a review, I personally judge the sound purely on performance and technical level and try to put the sound signature and presentation preferences aside. Of course, something being warm, or v-shaped, or bright etc. can affect a reviewer'opinion but I try to focus on the actual shortcomings when pointing out negatives coz if something is muddy, sibilant, rolls off at one or both ends, has unnatural peaks or dips etc., these are always weaknesses despite the fact that someone can tolerate them or just doesn't mind them. 
Also, when one spends time even here on the forums talking with other people he gets' a better understanding of what other people like and it's not often what you might do. For instance, I was sure that a lot of people could be impressed with the s5 even though it was not my cup of tea. 

Sep 25, 2015 at 8:09 PM Post #101 of 316
  I still haven't heard the s3 but IMO in my experience Brainwavz's descriptions aren't 100% accurate and I usually comment on that in my reviews. As far as the liking and disliking goes when writing a review, I personally judge the sound purely on performance and technical level and try to put the sound signature and presentation preferences aside. Of course, something being warm, or v-shaped, or bright etc. can affect a reviewer'opinion but I try to focus on the actual shortcomings when pointing out negatives coz if something is muddy, sibilant, rolls off at one or both ends, has unnatural peaks or dips etc., these are always weaknesses despite the fact that someone can tolerate them or just doesn't mind them. 
Also, when one spends time even here on the forums talking with other people he gets' a better understanding of what other people like and it's not often what you might do. For instance, I was sure that a lot of people could be impressed with the s5 even though it was not my cup of tea. 

It's all a matter of taste and personal preference I guess. I happen to love the S5...probably my 2nd favorite IEM behind the Altone 250.

Sep 25, 2015 at 8:31 PM Post #102 of 316

It's all a matter of taste and personal preference I guess. I happen to love the S5...probably my 2nd favorite IEM behind the Altone 250.

thats interesting you say that... i have both of those with me now...i see what your into now 
wink_face.gif

you like em punchy and impactful with thinner midrange and a forward lower treble? 

Sep 25, 2015 at 10:01 PM Post #104 of 316

I'm hoping to read some reviews from people who enjoy the sound of the other Brainwavz s-series IEMs so they can give a good review that is helpful to me in deciding whether to buy or not.

I'm waiting patiently (sort of) for at least 80-100 hours burn in before comparing them to my current fav, the S5 and the Jive (not too far behind the S5). My preference for a sound sig is one that sounds like REAL instruments and vocals. I like a 'phone that removes the veil between me and the music and sounds like a live performance in a venue or the studio. Personally I find the sound that some claim to be "neutral" to be lacking...especially in the lower regions (bass). Real music has low impactful bass. Most of what I listen to is acoustic as I enjoy hearing how close a headphone gets to the nuances of real instruments and real vocals. My first impressions of the S3 are good but I miss the better low end of my S5. Late tomorrow or early Sunday I will listen to them in depth and compare and contrast.

Sep 25, 2015 at 11:03 PM Post #105 of 316
I would like to thank all the people here taking the time to review our Brainwavz S3 earphones :)

I want to also add that the actual cable is the same on all of the S series earphones, some do use a black cable others use grey. The only difference are the design of the plug and splitter, we are moving to small profile plugs and splitter based on the important feedback we got from all of you at head-fi and the various customer feedback we have had. Although the plug and splitter are smaller they are still quite durable.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back