the New BLACK Schiit Valhalla amp!
Apr 9, 2014 at 11:36 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 15

NGlignum

New Head-Fier
Hello. I want to start off by saying that I am very new to this site, and hope to meet some wonderful people. 

I was browsing the net for an amp for some the HE-400 or 500 and found the valhalla amp... I've been browsing Schiit for a while now, drooling over the products and saving up for a gungnir... anyways, I found out they came out with something new and different. The drop down menu named "finish" in the Valhalla section. One of the pictures shows a BLACK Valhalla amp! My jaw dropped. I couldn't believe they offered a different finish. Check it out when you have a chance. Perhaps other amps and dacs will come with a  black finish option... 

I created a post earlier talking about the exact same thing, but i posted a link in it as well, and it seems i need to get some sort of "permissions" before posting any photos or links that are not from this website, so no link here. 
Anyways, HELLO FELLOW HEAD-FIERS
normal_smile .gif

Apr 9, 2014 at 12:07 PM Post #2 of 15
Now we just need a black Lyr
dt880smile.png

Welcome by the way!

Apr 9, 2014 at 8:57 PM Post #5 of 15
thanks for posting the pic. I like the black, but the silver would go great with my mac computers. And who knows if they'll come out with the rest of the equipment in black to match.

Apr 9, 2014 at 9:26 PM Post #6 of 15
It looks like it would match my Yamaha CD-S300 Black Noir finish. I was going to get a spare easy to drive set of phones but maybe I'll get a spare amp instead. PS: I could anodize the panels on the La Figaro to match.

Apr 10, 2014 at 9:17 AM Post #7 of 15
The black finish was a supplier mistake, but since it still looked good, Jason and company decided to sell them anyway (instead of having to rework the chassis). So the takeaway is: don't expect them to offer any color as a permanent option. Part of the reason Schiit gear is cheaper is that they don't offer anything special. Options add cost.

But anyway...I showed the black Valhalla to my wife this past weekend, and even though she's not into the headphones like I am, she thought it was gorgeous and bought one for me O_O

I hope to have it by the end of today...

Apr 10, 2014 at 12:23 PM Post #8 of 15
The black finish was a supplier mistake, but since it still looked good, Jason and company decided to sell them anyway (instead of having to rework the chassis). So the takeaway is: don't expect them to offer any color as a permanent option. Part of the reason Schiit gear is cheaper is that they don't offer anything special. Options add cost.

But anyway...I showed the black Valhalla to my wife this past weekend, and even though she's not into the headphones like I am, she thought it was gorgeous and bought one for me O_O

I hope to have it by the end of today...

That is dissapointing to hear, I would really love a black Lyr
frown.gif

grats on the Valhalla btw!

Apr 10, 2014 at 2:10 PM Post #9 of 15
I recieved my black Valhalla last week. It is currently driving Beyerdynamic T1 and T51p. The black finish was much nicer than anticipated. I personally love the look. My wife also commented on it looking very classy. I own 5 different amps, but the Valhalla has quickly become my favorite. The synergy with the T51p is so good, I wish the Valhalla had a battery in it for portable use.

One thing that i haven't seen mentioned often is the smooth operation of the Schiit volume knob. The volume range is great with the Beyers. The feel of the dial is butter; not loose, not tight...silk.

Apr 11, 2014 at 7:25 PM Post #10 of 15
Well...after USPS delivered two days late, I open the box to find a silver Valhalla :frown:

The good news is that I emailed them about it and I already got it sent back off for an exchange.

That is dissapointing to hear, I would really love a black Lyr :frowning2:

Schiit gets away with everything they do--US manufacturing, US sourcing, and low prices--by NOT giving in to certain pressure. Offering a second finish costs the company more because it adds complexity. The supplier has to be able to make both, Schiit has to be able to order both, and you have to keep inventory for twice as many combinations (or else you have to manually stuff boxes to order).

It is what it is. I'm a fan of the black finish, but I am much more interested in a company like Schiit staying in business.

Apr 11, 2014 at 9:56 PM Post #11 of 15
Oh I totally understand and agree with you, doesn't change the fact that its dissapointing as I would like to get a lyr soon and a black one would be beautiful :)

Apr 11, 2014 at 10:36 PM Post #12 of 15
Agreed. I'm a fan of black electronics in general. Not exactly sure why, but I think part of it is the ability to contrast the non-black parts. Case in point, the silver parts on the black Valhalla shine (pun not intended) more than they do on the silver chassis.

On top of that, I really really like how tubes look, and the black chassis does a better job of getting out of the way.

Apr 12, 2014 at 1:42 AM Post #13 of 15
I wasn't planning on getting one, but the finish seems keeps growing on me.. Maybe one it wouldn't hurt to have one more amp. 
Well...after USPS delivered two days late, I open the box to find a silver Valhalla
frown.gif

The good news is that I emailed them about it and I already got it sent back off for an exchange.
Schiit gets away with everything they do--US manufacturing, US sourcing, and low prices--by NOT giving in to certain pressure. Offering a second finish costs the company more because it adds complexity. The supplier has to be able to make both, Schiit has to be able to order both, and you have to keep inventory for twice as many combinations (or else you have to manually stuff boxes to order).

It is what it is. I'm a fan of the black finish, but I am much more interested in a company like Schiit staying in business.

That sucks, let us know how the exchange goes. I think this might be a one time deal with the black finish, more the reason i wanna buy one. I think i like the tubes on a black chassis better. 
Oh I totally understand and agree with you, doesn't change the fact that its dissapointing as I would like to get a lyr soon and a black one would be beautiful
smily_headphones1.gif

I agree.  A black lyr would be very nice to have. I can only hope..

Apr 18, 2014 at 7:22 PM Post #14 of 15
Big shout out to Laura in customer service for handling the return/exchange/getting the right color.

It's sitting on my desk now and singing nicely. I'll try to take some proper pictures tomorrow.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back