The new beta Squeezecenter 7.4 is literally a free upgrade
Mar 9, 2009 at 3:43 PM Post #31 of 46
Quote:

Originally Posted by rederanged /img/forum/go_quote.gif
What makes you think this is happening? As far as I know, there is not even any such thing as ABR FLAC encoding. (For MP3 and other types of compression, "ABR" means you're targeting an average bitrate in your final file. The FLAC encoder didn't offer this option last time I checked.) Also, if Squeezecenter is doing any transcoding, you should see the flac.exe process running on your server. I do not see this happening when I run native flac.

Maybe you're looking at the file information and seeing something like "856 kbps ABR"? This just means that the average bitrate is 856 kbps, the number obtained from dividing the file size by its length. It does not indicate anything about the method used to encode the file.

that's what the unit says when I look up 'more info' while the song is playing; it displays "xxxkbps VBR (Converted to yyykbps ABR)" -> xxx != yyy

what does 'converted' mean?

Mar 9, 2009 at 3:46 PM Post #32 of 46
Quote:

Originally Posted by chesebert /img/forum/go_quote.gif
that's what the unit says when I look up 'more info' while the song is playing; it displays "xxxkbps VBR (Converted to yyykbps ABR)" -> xxx != yyy

what does 'converted' mean?

Weird. Do you have bitrate limiting on by any chance?

Mar 9, 2009 at 5:22 PM Post #33 of 46
Quote:

Weird. Do you have bitrate limiting on by any chance?

no; I thought that option was only for mp3 decoding

Mar 9, 2009 at 5:32 PM Post #34 of 46
Quote:

no; I thought that option was only for mp3 decoding

Yeah, I think that's true. I still doubt that there's any actual conversion going on, though, because I know for sure that flac.exe does not run when streaming native flac, whereas it does when I convert to PCM on the server side.

I'll see what mine looks like tonight. It's probably just some confusing terminology in the UI. Is either of the bitrates 1411, by the way? (That is the native bitrate of uncompressed stereo 16/44.1 PCM.)

Mar 9, 2009 at 5:44 PM Post #35 of 46
Quote:

Yeah, I think that's true. I still doubt that there's any actual conversion going on, though, because I know for sure that flac.exe does not run when streaming native flac, whereas it does when I convert to PCM on the server side.

I'll see what mine looks like tonight. It's probably just some confusing terminology in the UI. Is either of the bitrates 1411, by the way? (That is the native bitrate of uncompressed stereo 16/44.1 PCM.)

nope. Are you running version 7.4 btw?

Mar 9, 2009 at 5:47 PM Post #36 of 46
Quote:

nope. Are you running version 7.4 btw?

No, 7.3. It doesn't look like anything relevant has changed in 7.4, but you might want to look at your process list when streaming just to make sure that flac.exe is not running.

Mar 9, 2009 at 10:00 PM Post #37 of 46
Quote:

No, 7.3. It doesn't look like anything relevant has changed in 7.4, but you might want to look at your process list when streaming just to make sure that flac.exe is not running.

flac.exe is running in the process list even when FLAC is set under 'Native' with PCM set to 'disabled'

Mar 9, 2009 at 10:15 PM Post #38 of 46
Quote:

flac.exe is running in the process list even when FLAC is set under 'Native' with PCM set to 'disabled'

Very interesting. So I guess there is some sort of transcoding going on. I'm not sure if this is an undocumented 'feature' of 7.4, or if there's something strange going on with your configuration. You might want to go post on the slimdevices forum and see if they know what's up.

Mar 9, 2009 at 10:56 PM Post #40 of 46
Quote:

Very interesting. So I guess there is some sort of transcoding going on. I'm not sure if this is an undocumented 'feature' of 7.4, or if there's something strange going on with your configuration. You might want to go post on the slimdevices forum and see if they know what's up.

I have SC7.4 running on 2 different computers at 2 separate locations serving Transporter/SB3 respectively, both showing the same thing wrt conversion of FLAC under 'more info'.

Mar 9, 2009 at 11:16 PM Post #41 of 46
Quote:

I have SC7.4 running on 2 different computers at 2 separate locations serving Transporter/SB3 respectively, both showing the same thing wrt conversion of FLAC under 'more info'.

One last question before I give up trying to figure this out.
smily_headphones1.gif
Are these 24/96 FLACs by any chance? From what I can glean, those need to be downconverted to 48 kHz before sending to the player.

Mar 9, 2009 at 11:37 PM Post #42 of 46
Quote:

One last question before I give up trying to figure this out.
smily_headphones1.gif
Are these 24/96 FLACs by any chance? From what I can glean, those need to be downconverted to 48 kHz before sending to the player.

16/44.1 FLAC

FYI, transporter can play 24/96 in its native form

Mar 9, 2009 at 11:50 PM Post #43 of 46
Quote:

16/44.1 FLAC

FYI, transporter can play 24/96 in its native form

OK, I give up. Why don't you post over on the slimdevices forum and let us know what you find out? I googled it a bit, but couldn't find anything useful.

Mar 9, 2009 at 11:58 PM Post #44 of 46
Quote:

OK, I give up. Why don't you post over on the slimdevices forum and let us know what you find out? I googled it a bit, but couldn't find anything useful.

What do you want me to post? SC7.4 sounds great? Dev team is awesome?

Mar 10, 2009 at 12:01 AM Post #45 of 46
Quote:

What do you want me to post? SC7.4 sounds great? Dev team is awesome?

I thought you were curious about why your SB was telling you your flac files were being converted VBR -> ABR.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back