The New Analogue
Apr 28, 2009 at 2:39 AM Post #16 of 21
Quote:

Originally posted by scrypt
Fascinating question, j-curve. .

I second that.

J-curve, I'm sure there's a lot of people waiting for that. This would cause a big impact in the industry. Analogue quality !!! Jee !!

May 1, 2009 at 5:27 PM Post #17 of 21
I personally cannot see how it could work...

maybe as has been mentioned, it could be something along the lines of the laser LP player, but the one thing that I think it would be hard for analog to overcome is the ease of use of digital...

Sure, analog sounds better, but there is no form that has instant track access and so forth... and thats what consumers want isn't it... I don't think a hardcore of 5000 members here, and however many at other audio forums would be enough to keep a new fledgling technology alive

Jun 15, 2009 at 8:15 AM Post #18 of 21
with a laser player, there wouldn't be any reason why you couldn't have a digital track alongside the analog which would allow the track skipping, ff/rev, pause etc which we all find so convinient... its easily possible technically, i mean you (used??) to get CD-ROM drives that split the beam into 7!

g

Jun 23, 2009 at 10:11 AM Post #19 of 21
or you could have a TOC list, some way to determine what's where.

as Duncan mentioned, it's a very niche-market concept. especially if you can keep up some amount of PC-compatibility.

then again, within 10 years from now, Sony will come with something new and 'superior', to make people re-buy Kind Of Blue, Dark Side Of The Moon and the White Album all over again, it might as well be analog this time
rolleyes.gif

Oct 13, 2009 at 11:46 PM Post #20 of 21
About 5 years ago, I remember seeing somewhere on TV a story about a solid state music medium, as a potential "wave of the future". No moving parts, no lasers, no digital encoding, no data loss, just some hunk of plastic and metal that somehow contains the music, you place it into the playback device. Obviously, this hasn't yet come to pass...

Nov 28, 2009 at 4:15 PM Post #21 of 21
well, I can see memorychips holding music somewhere in the future, like in solid-state MP3 players right now. memory has to become a lot cheaper to allow 80 minutes of WAV tho...

I guess a lot depends on how music and the internet get integrated. do the masses move to downloading the music as just the media (just the tracks they want, and no booklets or fancy digipacks), and how big will the market for non-virtual artwork and quality really be. you mustn't forget the bulk of audiophiles did move to the CD format quite happily, they might move to a computer-based format if that's the 'future'.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back