The need for amplifiers
Sep 2, 2014 at 5:16 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 13

greaterworks

Head-Fier
How do we know if a pair of headphones/earphones/earbuds would require an amp to perform optimally? Because I'm a casual listener and just use them on a smartphone. I don't even intend to tweak the equalizer.

Is there a certain price range that doesn't require an amp, and is very forgiving to listen on? Does it mean I won't be needing a pair with very good sound quality?

Sep 2, 2014 at 5:30 AM Post #2 of 13
Welcome, and I'm terribly sorry about your wallet.

Okay, first of all. Perform optimally is subjective. What you think sound good may or may not be what I find to sound good.

Secondly, perform optimally makes it sound so digital (either good or bad). Analog audio is instead a greyarea full of subjective thoughts. 
I think you should, rather than look for an amp that makes your headphones "justice" look for an amp that YOU think pairs good with YOUR headphones. Wether that's the built in amp in your phone or a Schiit Ragnarök (yes, that's how you spell it), the important thing is that you enjoy your music.
And you probably know what the only thing you can do about that is right? Listen, listen and then listen some more. You may need to go through one or two amps before you are completely happy about your sound. But hey, as I said. That's the fun part.

Again, sorry 'bout your wallet. 

Sep 2, 2014 at 7:03 AM Post #4 of 13
I suggest you do some proper research, or at least read some threads on the sound science board on this site. Most members don't actually know much about audio or electronics and will swear that their $500 amp transforms their headphones. Most modern headphones do not require an amplifier unless the source is very underpowered.

Sep 2, 2014 at 7:04 AM Post #5 of 13
Because people tend to spend a lot more money than they expect to once they start browsing this here forum. There's always some new gadget or upgrade that will catch your eye. Hence, good luck to your wallet. Heh.

Anyway, I think what Johan was trying to say was that sound quality is rather subjective. Just because a certain pair of earphones/headphones/iems are more expensive doesn't necessarily make them better. You might not necessarily like their sound signature, or they might not pair well with your smartphone.

There is no specific price range that will work well with your phone due to a lot of factors. The price of the earphone doesn't determine how sensitive they are. You'll need to do your homework for that. And even then, they might not work well with your smartphone, depending on the model of smartphone that you're using. Hence Johan's comment about needing to do a lot of testing before buying.

Not all smartphones have the same output quality and level. It really depends on the phone design. To give you an example, I noticed a drop in sound quality and volume once I upgraded from a iPhone 4S to an iPhone 5S. That was when I started to look for an amp. Then after using the amp, I realised that different amps gave different sound signatures and output levels as well. Now one year later, I'm eyeing the Chord Hugo and the Noble K10s. So yes. i'm sorry for my wallet too. Heh.

What is your budget? What kind of sound signature do you like? Warmer or Clearer sound? More booming bass? All these can affect your choice of earphones.

Sep 2, 2014 at 8:31 AM Post #7 of 13
Because people tend to spend a lot more money than they expect to once they start browsing this here forum. There's always some new gadget or upgrade that will catch your eye. Hence, good luck to your wallet. Heh.

Anyway, I think what Johan was trying to say was that sound quality is rather subjective. Just because a certain pair of earphones/headphones/iems are more expensive doesn't necessarily make them better. You might not necessarily like their sound signature, or they might not pair well with your smartphone.

There is no specific price range that will work well with your phone due to a lot of factors. The price of the earphone doesn't determine how sensitive they are. You'll need to do your homework for that. And even then, they might not work well with your smartphone, depending on the model of smartphone that you're using. Hence Johan's comment about needing to do a lot of testing before buying.

Not all smartphones have the same output quality and level. It really depends on the phone design. To give you an example, I noticed a drop in sound quality and volume once I upgraded from a iPhone 4S to an iPhone 5S. That was when I started to look for an amp. Then after using the amp, I realised that different amps gave different sound signatures and output levels as well. Now one year later, I'm eyeing the Chord Hugo and the Noble K10s. So yes. i'm sorry for my wallet too. Heh.

What is your budget? What kind of sound signature do you like? Warmer or Clearer sound? More booming bass? All these can affect your choice of earphones.

Thanks for your reply. I'm not going to be buying any expensive stuff to go with a pair of headphones. :wink:

OP, for smartphone:
0-32 ohms - no amp
33-70 ohms - hit or miss (depends on strength of phone's internal amp)
71+ ohms - amp

All headphones/iems list the ohm rating, just look it up prior to purchase.

Thanks for the info. I just got a pair of CAL!2 and its impedance is 32 ohms. I guess that's good for me. :wink:

Sep 2, 2014 at 12:40 PM Post #9 of 13
Amplifiers are needed when you have a high impedence , low sensitivity cans. Without amplifiers for these type of cans, you might not be able to drive it to satisfying volumes. For high impedence, high sensitivity cans, you might be able to drive it to loud volumes, but you might be losing dynamics for the music, and not fully utilizing headphones potential.

Another reason why we need amplifiers for these high impedence cans is to provide enough(high) voltage swing, and stable current to drive a headphone to its fullest as our portable devices cannot do the job well. Portable device might be able to supply high current, to drive it loud, but they are not able to supply high voltage swing (which leads to decrease dynamics)

Just my opinion on amplifiers.
Hope it can help you!
Cheers!

Sep 2, 2014 at 1:19 PM Post #10 of 13
Amplifiers are needed when you have a high impedence , low sensitivity cans. Without amplifiers for these type of cans, you might not be able to drive it to satisfying volumes. For high impedence, high sensitivity cans, you might be able to drive it to loud volumes, but you might be losing dynamics for the music, and not fully utilizing headphones potential.

Another reason why we need amplifiers for these high impedence cans is to provide enough(high) voltage swing, and stable current to drive a headphone to its fullest as our portable devices cannot do the job well. Portable device might be able to supply high current, to drive it loud, but they are not able to supply high voltage swing (which leads to decrease dynamics)

Hope it can help you!
Cheers!
This is the answer you need. Both impedance and efficiency need to be taken into account.

Higher Impedance = Higher Voltage Swing Required
Lower Sensitivity = Higher Current (Power) Required

And dedicated amplifiers provide each of these.

Sep 2, 2014 at 1:21 PM Post #11 of 13

Hope it can help you!
Cheers!

Appreciate the explanation. That means if I don't want to be using an amp and only with a smartphone, I'll go for low impedence headphones (as souhikyaku9 mentioned)?

Sep 2, 2014 at 1:32 PM Post #12 of 13
Thats usually the rule for headphones. :)

But for IEMs they start to defer. Many multi BAs have extremely low impedance, while high sensitivity, which also makes it hard to drive. If plug directly to handphone, you might also hear hissing on top of not driving it to its fullest potential. :)

Users who are viewing this thread

Back