The National - High Violet !!!!!!
May 11, 2010 at 4:51 PM Post #2 of 36
I'm liking it so far.  Haven't listened to it enough to be able to give any further impressions.

May 13, 2010 at 5:28 PM Post #8 of 36
So I just got back from the record shop and gave it a listen. The Vinyl is 180 gram, split onto two records, and is of good quality on my modest system. The vinyl version also comes with a code for a free digital download, which I appreciate. First impressions are very good. It's the same tone and flow that we've heard before from The National. That's not to say that their sound is getting boring, I think they really have something great. Their talent clearly lies in the lyrics and simple complexity of the tracks themselves. I agree with the above poster that it probably doesn't reach the heights of Boxer but I'm sure that with future listens the songs on High Violette will only grow on me as has been the case with their other albums.

I would definitely pick this up if you are a fan of the band. If your just hearing about them for the first time, check out Boxer first but you're probably going to want to fill out your collection shortly after.

May 13, 2010 at 8:35 PM Post #10 of 36
I'm really liking "High Violet" a lot. After two listens, I like it at this point better than I liked "Boxer." Except for "Fake Empire," which I liked immediately and which I think is better than anything on "High Violet," "Boxer" was a slow grower with me. Time will tell...

May 13, 2010 at 8:44 PM Post #11 of 36
Quote:
Haven't picked it up yet but it sure is cheap at Amazon...
it's got a few run-thru's via NPR's First Listens site - a pretty cool spot that picks 4 or 5 new releases and lets you stream the whole album and read a bit about it.  check it below if curious...

The National - NPR First Listen

Great, I know what album I'll be listening to tonight.

May 14, 2010 at 11:37 PM Post #12 of 36
Just got it finally.  Resorted to getting it at Borders
frown.gif
so I could get the purchase over with and listen to it on my hour drive back home tonight.  I thought it was good.  It seemed kind of bland, and I felt a little meh towards it, but that's how I've felt about every album of theirs on my first few listens.  The National seems to be the only band whose music continues to grow on me, even Alligator after all these years I'm not sick of it

Users who are viewing this thread

Back