The National - Boxer
Aug 9, 2007 at 1:52 AM Post #16 of 28
Quote:

Originally Posted by xyz /img/forum/go_quote.gif
good lp but a step down from alligator

I would say great lp but a tiny step down from alligator. I really enjoyed hearing Matt stretch his vocals out a bit on Alligator, and he doesn't really do that on Boxer. But it is still a great album and will definitely end up in my top 10.

Aug 9, 2007 at 1:56 AM Post #17 of 28
Quote:

Originally Posted by Scrith /img/forum/go_quote.gif
it's one of the few albums from recent new bands that I can see myself still listening to 5 years from now.

you need to search harder.

Aug 9, 2007 at 2:04 AM Post #18 of 28
Listening to it right now. I bought it today based on the comments I found on this forum. So far so good.
biggrin.gif

Aug 9, 2007 at 3:26 AM Post #19 of 28
Quote:

Originally Posted by Agent Kang /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Listening to it right now. I bought it today based on the comments I found on this forum. So far so good.
biggrin.gif

If you like the National that much on your first listens, you'll really grow to LOVE them (they are frequently described as "growers", even though I really liked pretty quickly as well). Anyways, Boxer is about as great of a follow up to Alligator as I could imagine. They simply have been getting better and better with each release. But yeah, I'd really really recommend trying out Alligator as well if any of you have enjoyed this album.

Aug 9, 2007 at 6:31 AM Post #21 of 28
maybe my favorite album right now. it has so much energy in it, but manages to be subdued at the same time. it is completely controlled on the outside and screaming on the inside

Aug 9, 2007 at 8:00 AM Post #22 of 28
They sound like an American, Higher-fi, and less somber Elbow.

Boxer is pretty enjoyable through one listen, and it definitely has at least one more in it.

Aug 10, 2007 at 5:51 PM Post #24 of 28
If you enjoy Alligator and Boxer, definitely check out Sad Songs for Dirty Lovers. Another great album.

Aug 11, 2007 at 9:47 PM Post #25 of 28
I'm glad to see The National finally getting their due.

They've always struck me as a group that wasn't born into musical royalty. There are others more talented, others who are luckier, and others who are "cooler." Keep working hard and plugging away and things just might work out.

Aug 12, 2007 at 1:05 PM Post #26 of 28
Someone said they sound a bit like Interpol. I wouldn't go that far, personally. There are vocal similarities with the baritone voices and maybe a bit with the lyrical style, but musically they're quite different.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back