The Nameless Guide To PC Gaming Audio (with binaural headphone surround sound)
Nov 22, 2012 at 9:37 AM Post #946 of 4,136
Quote:
I need help guys cause i am going to buy a decent gaming audio system so help me please. I will going to buy one of two beyerdynamic headphone DT990 or MMX300 , which one is better for music and gaming?

2 - if i bought one of them what kind soundcard i need to be overall good ?

3 - DO i need to buy amp with the headphone and the soundcard ?

I would guess the DT990 would be the better headphone, as it is open.
You can add any mic you want to the DT990, if you need a mic.

Nov 22, 2012 at 2:13 PM Post #948 of 4,136
Quote:
Would a Realtek alc898 (running dolby live) > MUSE 6n11 tube amp > DT990 setup work well?

Using your motherboard's built in DDL (Dolby Digital live) will output a compressed digital audio signal, that will be sent thru a S/PDIF (optical or coaxial) output (cable), requiring something at the other end that can uncompress DDL and then the digital signal would need to be sent thru a DAC, then sent to the Muse 6N11 tube amp.

Recommend you get an Asus Xonar DX or D1 sound card (built in CS4398 DAC chip) and connect that to the Muse 6N11.

Nov 22, 2012 at 3:05 PM Post #949 of 4,136
Quote:
Would a Realtek alc898 (running dolby live) > MUSE 6n11 tube amp > DT990 setup work well?

That setup does sound good, except the onboard audio chip. And if you want to do proper gaming, avoid Asus cards, they have partial gaming support and lack positional cue accuracy. Instead, get a stock Creative X-Fi Titanium, an Auzentech X-Fi Forte or a flagship Creative X-Fi Titanium HD.

Nov 22, 2012 at 11:06 PM Post #950 of 4,136
Nameless,

I think even if you can't give out headphone recommendations, you can make a list of games where positional audio and the likes are noticeable. For example, you mentioned the Thief games quite a few times in this thread already.

Nov 23, 2012 at 4:23 PM Post #951 of 4,136
Quote:
Nameless,
I think even if you can't give out headphone recommendations, you can make a list of games where positional audio and the likes are noticeable. For example, you mentioned the Thief games quite a few times in this thread already.

That is a good idea.

I'll work up a list, including tips and tweaks to get better audio out of certain games (most notably, Thief 1/2, Unreal Gold, and Unreal Tournament have unofficial OpenAL patches that most people don't know about, and then there's the "snd_legacy_surround" command for Source engine games). I just have to decide what should go on it besides the usual suspects (Thief, System Shock 2, Unreal, Battlefield series up to 2142).

Nov 23, 2012 at 4:54 PM Post #952 of 4,136
Quote:

That is a good idea.

I'll work up a list, including tips and tweaks to get better audio out of certain games (most notably, Thief 1/2, Unreal Gold, and Unreal Tournament have unofficial OpenAL patches that most people don't know about, and then there's the "snd_legacy_surround" command for Source engine games). I just have to decide what should go on it besides the usual suspects (Thief, System Shock 2, Unreal, Battlefield series up to 2142).

Bioshock, Doom 3, Mass Effect, Dirt series, Race Driver Grid, Prey, just to name a few. I can bring up a lot more later on, if needed.

Nov 24, 2012 at 3:46 PM Post #954 of 4,136
Quote:
I thought Metro 2033 had fine 5.1 surround on Xbox360, do you think it was scaled up on the PC?

Both PC and console versions share similar audio paths, only that PCs can have much higher quality output devices.

Nov 24, 2012 at 11:27 PM Post #955 of 4,136
Quote:
Using your motherboard's built in DDL (Dolby Digital live) will output a compressed digital audio signal, that will be sent thru a S/PDIF (optical or coaxial) output (cable), requiring something at the other end that can uncompress DDL and then the digital signal would need to be sent thru a DAC, then sent to the Muse 6N11 tube amp.

Recommend you get an Asus Xonar DX or D1 sound card (built in CS4398 DAC chip) and connect that to the Muse 6N11.

These tube amps seem to be just as expensive as the Fiio e11, do tubes sound a lot better than Fiio?  I would rather go for a reliable brand than things shipped out of china :p.  I don't really care much about having to charge the amp daily.  Also I found one of these http://us.store.creative.com/Sound-Blaster-XFi-Surround-5.1/M/B0017QQQAE.htm lying in my basement, I believe these have CMSS 3d, will a USB card work better with the tube or e11 ? 

Nov 24, 2012 at 11:41 PM Post #956 of 4,136
Quote:
These tube amps seem to be just as expensive as the Fiio e11, do tubes sound a lot better than Fiio?  I would rather go for a reliable brand than things shipped out of china :p.  I don't really care much about having to charge the amp daily.  Also I found one of these http://us.store.creative.com/Sound-Blaster-XFi-Surround-5.1/M/B0017QQQAE.htm lying in my basement, I believe these have CMSS 3d, will a USB card work better with the tube or e11 ? 

You can use that X-Fi Surround 5.1 with any headphone amps, be it tubes or solid state.

Tubes vs solid state is a lengthy subject on its own. There are power, signature and accuracy differences between them, which is why it's not as simple as saying one is better than the other. Look around for additional info, and read this thread: http://www.head-fi.org/t/526275/tube-vs-solid-state-amps

Nov 25, 2012 at 12:09 AM Post #957 of 4,136
Looking for suggestions please, I have searched the thread but not found this specifically.

After reading Mad Lust Envy's Headphone Gaming Guide I am looking at the following headphones:
AKG Q701
Senn HD 598
Senn RS 180 (wireless would be very convenient)

Soundcard: X-Fi on board sound on Gigabyte G1.Assassin2
No amp, don't plan on getting one.

Games:
MMORPGS (don't need mic though)
Action games (Borderlands 2)
RPGS - (Skyrim, Dishonored)

Current headphones: Tritton AX360 (5 years old...don't laugh please)

For reference I am using Senn HD-25-II with my mobile phone for music and love them.

From the new headphones I am looking for something with a great soundstage and positional effects. Something with a bit of bass wouldn't go astray as the headphones might be used for movies or music (vocals to punk to very bassy dubstep).

The RS 180 are very appealing for the no cable factor. I hate cables, in fact I modded my HD-25-II's to use a Bluetooth receiver most of the time for commuting.

Any suggestions would be great, thanks :)

Nov 25, 2012 at 12:52 AM Post #958 of 4,136
Quote:

You can use that X-Fi Surround 5.1 with any headphone amps, be it tubes or solid state.

Tubes vs solid state is a lengthy subject on its own. There are power, signature and accuracy differences between them, which is why it's not as simple as saying one is better than the other. Look around for additional info, and read this thread: http://www.head-fi.org/t/526275/tube-vs-solid-state-amps

Ah thanks, I think solid state sounds okay for me.  I was looking up some more portables around $50-75, found e7 and this Headroom are on sale.  The e7 can be used while charging so that would be a big plus, and it seems to have more battery life as well.  Can I still use these with my USB x-fi (via the amp's aux-in), I think read somewhere that its not advisable to bypass the DAC?.  Headroom uses AA batteries which is kind of lame, but reviews / opinions say its of higher quality.  Which do you guys think is a better buy for gaming + bassy music ? (I will be using the DT990 pro/250 ohms by the way)

Nov 27, 2012 at 4:26 PM Post #959 of 4,136
Ah thanks, I think solid state sounds okay for me.  I was looking up some more portables around $50-75, found e7 and this Headroom are on sale.  The e7 can be used while charging so that would be a big plus, and it seems to have more battery life as well.  Can I still use these with my USB x-fi (via the amp's aux-in), I think read somewhere that its not advisable to bypass the DAC?.  Headroom uses AA batteries which is kind of lame, but reviews / opinions say its of higher quality.  Which do you guys think is a better buy for gaming + bassy music ? (I will be using the DT990 pro/250 ohms by the way)

Have you read Head-fi'er ClieOS amp round up? It includes impressions of both for amp quality. Last I read, the Headroom AirHead and BitHead (same amp, BitHead adds a DAC) are decent but of aging design, and even FiiO's inexpensive amps sound superior for less money. But opinions aside, consider some spec facts: the E7 is an amp/DAC combo. You already have a similar-quality DAC in your USB X-Fi, so that part you're paying for in the E7 is redundant/extra-but-useless. The amp section of the E7 isn't a big upgrade in power either, about the same as an iPod, FiiO E5, and possibly your X-Fi. In fact, I believe the E7 amp is basically the E5's buffer connected to a DAC section. I think I read that FiiO is releasing an updated E7 with the E6's amp buffer... about the same amount of power still, but a bit cleaner performance.

In my opinion, based on my research, you would be better served with a FiiO E11. Much more powerful amp than the E7, no DAC that would be useless if you are using an X-Fi's DAC anyway, rechargeable lithium battery, and only like $60 if you buy on Amazon from seller Micca with a spare battery (so you can keep a spare charged & ready). A good deal. If you can afford $100, your DT990 - 250Ohm headphones would be even better served by the more powerful E9 desktop amp.

Pox64,
I fully understand how wires can be an issue. Especially in areas of traffic or where you want to be a little discreet. Just decide for yourself if the trade-off of permanently allocating part of your purchase budget towards a wireless antenna, cheap built-in DAC, cheap built-in amp, cheap built-in battery, and the weight of those components is worth the wireless convenience. I'm going to assume based on your Bluetooth mod on your Senn HD 25-II that you have the modding skills to replace the headset's batteries when they no longer hold a charge. I personally have no idea how the wireless Sony headset you mentioned sounds, Sony makes pretty good products, but I wouldn't believe it sounds better than my Q701 wired into a decent amp/receiver. The Q701 also comes with two long lengths of detachable cable, so I have no problem lounging on a couch while the cable is routed mostly out of the way. IMO, the inexpensive flagship AKG headphone would be the clear all-around choice among those listed for my tastes, especially considering you already own a pair of wireless headphones. I can't tell you if they'll fit your preference for sound signature, but technically they are very capable and high-performing headphones.

Nov 27, 2012 at 10:49 PM Post #960 of 4,136
Hey guys - after a bit of an idea in which direction to head,

I'm currently running (on my PC)

Realtek Audio (898) => Mixamp (optical) => Sennheisser HD598's
and
Realtek Audio (898) => Mixamp (optical) => O2/ODAC (amp) => Sennehiser HD650's (gaming)
Realtek Audio (898) => O2/ODAC (usb amp/DAC) => Sennehiser HD650's (Music)

and I'm at a bit of a cross-roads with regard to which way to goto next.

I can unlock the onboard drivers and get TruSurround?? (I think it was around $20)

I can purchase a soundcard (am looking at the new Soundblaster ZxR or the Xonar STX) which could allow me to get rid of the mixamp and O2 amp for gaming completely (I believe) and use the O2/ODAC or the soundcard for music as I see fit (cards have >= 600ohm headphone support)

Grab a cheaper card (will still need the amp for the HD650's)

Are any of these options going to have a better end result than what I've currently got? I really wouldn't mind being able to take the mixamp out of the equation completely (free it up for my consoles and lappy)

Which will give the best quality for music on the HD650? (O2/ODAC for serious listening sessions, which will not care what soundcard I'm using, but, rather for when I can't be bothered changing outputs)

Users who are viewing this thread

Back