The Nameless Guide To PC Gaming Audio (with binaural headphone surround sound)
Jun 30, 2012 at 3:06 AM Post #466 of 4,136
Quote:
The idea way would be to just make an HRTF profile using this technology and 3 pictures of the individual and then calibrating the the specific headphone the same way the realiser does it.  

Well, this is interesting. Too bad there are no current products that use that approach to creating personalized HRTFs.

Since this is modeling just the HRTF, not a theater sound system, this could theoretically be used to present a true 3D binaural sound image, not just 7.1, when fed with the proper positional data.

Come to think of it, does anyone actually sell earbud microphones for the headphone calibration part? I haven't seen any that weren't packaged with the Realiser.

Jun 30, 2012 at 9:52 AM Post #467 of 4,136
I don't really want to install a sound card just for Dolby Headphone. So I guess I was looking for an excuse to get a USB headset. :)

I'm actually leery of getting any headphones. I've never tried any that were comfortable for more than a few minutes.

I also haven't been impressed with HRTF demos I've listened to. So I'm probably not a good candidate for that.

Jun 30, 2012 at 5:21 PM Post #468 of 4,136
There is the possibility that your own HRTF falls too far outside the average for the binaural positioning cues to work. That's the drawback of non-personalized HRTFs, sadly...

As for finding some comfortable headphones, you just have to find the right ones. One of the reasons I like my Stax SR-Lambda so much is that I can wear it for hours on end without complaint (very low clamping force helps), but I doubt you're going to be spending that much on headphones.

If you really don't want to install an internal sound card, you have two options:

-If it's a typical Realtek motherboard, try fiddling around with those modified Realtek driver packages featuring the X-Fi MB(2) software suite and see how well CMSS-3D Headphone/THX TruStudio Pro Surround works out. I'm not sure if there are any equivalents bearing the Dolby Home Theater software package (including Dolby Headphone).

-Get some cheap USB audio interface with a few gaming features like an X-Fi Go! or Xonar U3, then connect your headphones and mic to that. It's really not that different from a USB headset, except the USB sound device can be used with whatever headphones and mic you want. More flexible that way.

Jun 30, 2012 at 6:05 PM Post #470 of 4,136
Quote:

Well, this is interesting. Too bad there are no current products that use that approach to creating personalized HRTFs.

Since this is modeling just the HRTF, not a theater sound system, this could theoretically be used to present a true 3D binaural sound image, not just 7.1, when fed with the proper positional data.

Come to think of it, does anyone actually sell earbud microphones for the headphone calibration part? I haven't seen any that weren't packaged with the Realiser.

Yes, actually.

Jun 30, 2012 at 6:39 PM Post #471 of 4,136
Quote:
I have a Xonar DX sound card where I use optical-out to my NFB 12.1 DAC/amp. How do I get Dolby Headphones working for gaming?

Set Audio Channel to Max (6 or 8?).
I usually leave sample rate to 96Khz.
Analog out to "Headphone" (but it might not matter, but set to "Headphone" anyway)
Set S/PDIF to "Dolby Digital Live".
Check the box for Dolby headphone.

Hopefully these settings will give you Dolby Virtual headphone thru the digital out.

I'm assuming your connecting the Toslink optical cable to the Xonar DX's optical output and not the motherboard's

Jun 30, 2012 at 6:51 PM Post #472 of 4,136
Quote:
Analog out to "Headphone" (but it might not matter, but set to "Headphone" anyway)

Hopefully these settings will give you Dolby Virtual headphone thru the digital out.

I'm assuming your connecting the Toslink optical cable to the Xonar DX's optical output and not the motherboard's

Hi! Thanks for the help :) There's a problem though. The "Analog Out" dropdown box and the "Sample Rate" boxes are greyed out. I can't select them. Also, there is no box for "Dolby headphone" when in "Dolby Digital Live" mode, only when in "PCM mode". Also, even when I switch to PCM mode and turn on Dolby Headphones, there is no audible change whatsoever. And I know what it should sound like, because I used to use analog instead of digital before I got my NFB-12.1, but DH is definitely not doing anything when I select it.

Maybe something in the my control panel's sound settings is wrong? Here is what it currently looks like, along with my Xonar DX control panel settings:

Jun 30, 2012 at 7:03 PM Post #473 of 4,136
Quote:

I don't think you need Dolby Digital Live because you're only outputting two channels.  

Jun 30, 2012 at 7:34 PM Post #474 of 4,136
Quote:
I don't think you need Dolby Digital Live because you're only outputting two channels.  

You right, it's not Dolby Digital Live, the S/PDIF needs to be set for "PCM" for 2-channel for headphone surround sound thru the S/PDIF.

Jun 30, 2012 at 8:09 PM Post #476 of 4,136
Just to clarify Aelius' position - I've been PMing him up to now on setting up his NFB-12 & he's all go for music over SPDIF/optical - but we're not sure on the surround / dolby h/p.

I have an X-Fi Titanium, and have similar set-up - using the NFB-12, and outputting surround/dsps over the optical connection - and getting quite good cues for gaming with headphones.  A bit stuck with setting same up with his Xonar - so thought you guys could help.  FTR - I use the Win7 "What You Hear" option to make it work.  He doesn't seem to get that option - so not sure if it only comes with the Creative cards?

Jun 30, 2012 at 9:07 PM Post #477 of 4,136
Quote:

Correct it was wrong of me to say Dolby Digital live, I should have said
enable S/PDIF and set to  PCM to output headphone surround sound thru the S/PDIF Toslink digital optical output.

Jun 30, 2012 at 9:11 PM Post #478 of 4,136
Quote:
I'm still confused. Did you read my post above?

Yes I did.
The S/PDIF needs to be enabled to send anything thru the Toslink optical output.
For preprocessed headphone surround sound (2-channel) to be sent out the toslink, the S/PDIF needs to be set to PCM.

Jun 30, 2012 at 9:19 PM Post #479 of 4,136
Quote:
Hi! Thanks for the help :) There's a problem though. The "Analog Out" dropdown box and the "Sample Rate" boxes are greyed out. I can't select them. Also, there is no box for "Dolby headphone" when in "Dolby Digital Live" mode, only when in "PCM mode". Also, even when I switch to PCM mode and turn on Dolby Headphones, there is no audible change whatsoever. And I know what it should sound like, because I used to use analog instead of digital before I got my NFB-12.1, but DH is definitely not doing anything when I select it.

Maybe something in the my control panel's sound settings is wrong? Here is what it currently looks like, along with my Xonar DX control panel settings:

As I use the Essence STX, maybe the control panel works differently.
Before enabling S/PDIF, set audio channel to max.
Sample rate to whatever, I just prefer 96Khz
Set analog out to headphone.
Then enable S/PDIF and set to PCM.
I would assume the "Dolby Headphone" would be visable?

Jun 30, 2012 at 9:26 PM Post #480 of 4,136
Quote:
As I use the Essence STX, maybe the control panel works differently.
Before enabling S/PDIF, set audio channel to max.
Sample rate to whatever, I just prefer 96Khz
Set analog out to headphone.
Then enable S/PDIF and set to PCM.
I would assume the "Dolby Headphone" would be visable?

Yes, but like I said: "Also, even when I switch to PCM mode and turn on Dolby Headphones, there is no audible change whatsoever. And I know what it should sound like, because I used to use analog instead of digital before I got my NFB-12.1, but DH is definitely not doing anything when I select it."

Users who are viewing this thread

Back