The Nameless Guide To PC Gaming Audio (with binaural headphone surround sound)
Apr 12, 2012 at 7:51 PM Post #406 of 4,136
Realtek codecs generally don't have anything like CMSS-3D Headphone or Dolby Headphone to my knowledge, barring some motherboards that come bundled with a Dolby Home Theater or X-Fi MB software package.

I'd still advise picking up a used X-Fi (non-XtremeAudio, those are fakes) or Xonar DG (if you can't get a true X-Fi card for a reasonable price in your area) if you have an expansion slot free. Shouldn't cost any more than US$40 shipped.

The AD700s are very easy to drive, so no worries about amplification, even with integrated motherboard audio. I'd be more concerned about a clean analog audio output (no buzzing or hissing whenever you move the mouse or have any drive activity going) and gaming audio features.

Apr 12, 2012 at 8:17 PM Post #407 of 4,136
Cool, thanks!  The Xonar DG card is only $17 (after rebate) on amazon right now, so unless there's some major reason to go with Creative, the Xonar will be the cheaper option by far.  (Had some bad experiences with Creative drivers a few years back, so I'm not the biggest fan anyway...)

Does the AD700 with an AntLion ModMic sound like a good choice for my first foray into higher-fidelity gaming?

Apr 12, 2012 at 8:21 PM Post #408 of 4,136

Quote:
Cool, thanks!  The Xonar DG card is only $17 (after rebate) on amazon right now, so unless there's some major reason to go with Creative, the Xonar will be the cheaper option by far.  (Had some bad experiences with Creative drivers a few years back, so I'm not the biggest fan anyway...)
Does the AD700 with an AntLion ModMic sound like a good choice for my first foray into higher-fidelity gaming?

The ATH-AD700 is very bass light.
The Samson SR850 has more bass and is a lower price.
and the Asus Xonar DG is a great value.

Apr 13, 2012 at 3:07 AM Post #409 of 4,136

Quote:

I'm not fond of rebates, but that price is hard to beat.

The main incentive to go Creative would be if you play any games that use DirectSound3D or OpenAL in some fashion. Such games aren't common these days due to the prevalence of FMOD Ex (which enforces software audio mixing) in games released over the last few years, in which case the benefits of the X-Fi DSP largely go to waste.

I don't have a ModMic yet, but the concept is sound and the reviews don't complain about audio quality or sensitivity. The AD700 is very comfortable and will synergize well with binaural audio filters, but they're not kidding about the lack of deep, low bass (and it still doesn't sound quite right even if you EQ up the bass). If you don't mind that flaw, you'll probably like them.

Apr 13, 2012 at 7:54 AM Post #410 of 4,136
The AD700 is very comfortable and will synergize well with binaural audio filters, but they're not kidding about the lack of deep, low bass (and it still doesn't sound quite right even if you EQ up the bass). If you don't mind that flaw, you'll probably like them.

Wierd. The Dynamic range specs say the bottom range is 5 hz, IIRC. You'd think the bass would be great.

Apr 13, 2012 at 10:28 AM Post #411 of 4,136
Quote:
Wierd. The Dynamic range specs say the bottom range is 5 hz, IIRC. You'd think the bass would be great.

Headphone frequency response specs by the manufacturers rarely mean anything, these are often just made up numbers for marketing.

May 4, 2012 at 1:53 PM Post #414 of 4,136
Both those setups will do fine. It really comes down to what headphone/headset you think sounds best. I used the hd595's for awhile but didnt like the sound signature so I sold them and tried out some DT 770 Pro 80's and love them. Read Mad Lust's thread. He covers tons of headphones/sets. The link is posted on the first page of this thread. If you know the sound signature you like that would help you get the right headphone/set for you.

ModMic - I have one and love it. If you use the forum search you will find a review on it. But everyone that has used it seems to recommend it :)

Sound cards - look for one that has the features you need (read this thread and you will know what you need) and is in your price range. After you find one you want read some reviews and old threads.
Quote:
I believe this is the right thread to ask the following..

Will this combo do well for PC Gaming and awesome sound in general?

Sennheiser HD598
this soundcard
modmic

edit: or is this a better combo? I don't think it is though..

May 4, 2012 at 2:09 PM Post #415 of 4,136
Quote:

Sennheiser HD598
this soundcard
modmic

I am running that same Xonar DG soundcard.  Seems to be very fully-featured - especially for the extremely affordable price.  I particularly liked the built-in headphone amp, and the Dolby Headphone support.

I had first tried a set of Beyerdynamic DT770 Pro-80s with the ModMic for gaming.  The ModMic provides a very high quality sound, and the attachment system is very flexible (literally).  However, I found the lack of an inline volume control - and especially an inline mic mute switch - to be very inconvenient.  I also disliked the closed headset paired with a mic - it is hard to hear yourself talk, and I had to concentrate on not talking very loudly.  (Note that the DT770s sounded fantastic - no complaints there!)

In the end, I settled on Sennheiser's PC 360 headset.  It is an open-backed set, and while the sound quality might not be quite as high as the HD598s, it is still quite good.  The volume control on the right earcup and the integrated mic (which mutes automatically when stowed vertically) are just incredibly convenient.  (A Senn rep told me that the PC 360 is based on the HD555 headphones.)

May 4, 2012 at 2:11 PM Post #416 of 4,136
Quote:

I am running that same Xonar DG soundcard.  Seems to be very fully-featured - especially for the extremely affordable price.  I particularly liked the built-in headphone amp, and the Dolby Headphone support.

I had first tried a set of Beyerdynamic DT770 Pro-80s with the ModMic for gaming.  The ModMic provides a very high quality sound, and the attachment system is very flexible (literally).  However, I found the lack of an inline volume control - and especially an inline mic mute switch - to be very inconvenient.  (What do you do if you have to sneeze, etc.)  I also disliked the closed headset paired with a mic - it is hard to hear yourself talk, and I had to concentrate on not talking very loudly.  (Note that the DT770s sounded fantastic - no complaints there!)

In the end, I settled on Sennheiser's PC 360 headset.  It is an open-backed set, and while the sound quality might not be quite as high as the HD598s, it is still quite good.  The volume control on the right earcup and the integrated mic (which mutes automatically when stowed vertically) are just incredibly convenient.  (A Senn rep told me that the PC 360 is based on the HD555 headphones.)

So, while the DT770s were definitely superior for listening to music, the PC 360 sound is still quite good, and all the convenience you need for gaming it built right in.

May 4, 2012 at 10:31 PM Post #417 of 4,136
Quote:

Sennheiser HD598
this soundcard
modmic

The Xonar Xense combo has a better sound card, but if you're willing to pay up more than a Xonar DG's worth on the sound card, you're probably best off going for the X-Fi Titanium HD and your headphones of choice + ModMic. Then again, DirectSound3D and OpenAL games are higher-priority for me; I like the classics.

If all you play are recent games with purely software-driven audio courtesy of FMOD Ex or other popular middlewares, then you're not losing anything with C-Media-based cards like what Asus offers.

May 4, 2012 at 10:58 PM Post #418 of 4,136
Quote:
Sennheiser HD598
this soundcard
modmic

Asus just came out with the Xonar DGX, the PCI-Express version of the DG.

May 8, 2012 at 7:14 PM Post #420 of 4,136
Quote:

Is Asus phasing out the DG?  Maybe that's why mine was so cheap (like $13 USD on Amazon after rebate).

I think they will keep making them for a little while.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back