The Nameless Guide To PC Gaming Audio (with binaural headphone surround sound)
Nov 25, 2019 at 7:06 PM Post #4,036 of 4,136
Will Waves NX still work with an external DAC, either via USB or the Xonar DGX's digital out?
I use a lot of multichannel audio. In the Xonar and OS 7.1 (8 speakers) are set.
Will the audio go first to Waves NX which will convert it to a two channel audio?

Nov 25, 2019 at 10:52 PM Post #4,037 of 4,136
Will Waves NX still work with an external DAC, either via USB or the Xonar DGX's digital out?
I use a lot of multichannel audio. In the Xonar and OS 7.1 (8 speakers) are set.
Will the audio go first to Waves NX which will convert it to a two channel audio?

it works with and spdif transmission, but the windows version only converts 2.1 to 2.1 signals. It does not support higher than 2.1 signals. But seems like möbius version of it supports 8 channel.

Nov 26, 2019 at 12:14 AM Post #4,038 of 4,136
I'm fairly sure the Wave NX will output audio thru both USB and the Xonar DGX's S/PDIF optical port.

Nov 26, 2019 at 3:12 AM Post #4,039 of 4,136
it works with and spdif transmission, but the windows version only converts 2.1 to 2.1 signals. It does not support higher than 2.1 signals. But seems like möbius version of it supports 8 channel.

Doesn't the Windows NX version accept 6 or 8 channels and mix it in 2.0?

I'm fairly sure the Wave NX will output audio thru both USB and the Xonar DGX's S/PDIF optical port.

In the Xonar DGX's menu the sampling rate can be switched, can for example the DAC iFi Audio Nano IDSD Black Label do the same?

What about the microphone on the Xonar, can it be used at the same time as an USB audio card/DAC?

Nov 26, 2019 at 4:28 AM Post #4,040 of 4,136
Waves Nx uses a virtual playback device IIRC. While it will work with any sound card / DAC, I would avoid such software solutions and just get an Audeze Mobius with integrated Waves Nx for head tracking. Even with my Mobius I have ultimately disabled its 3D & head tracking and just use Windows' Spatial Sound as an increasing number of games support Spatial Sound. I purchased both DTS Headphone:X and Dolby Atmos for Headphones and I prefer one over the other depending on the title.

The latest build of MPC-BE now supports 7.1-channel output when Spatial Sound is enabled. E-AC-3 Atmos content is only supported on Media Foundation players like Windows Media Player and UWP apps, and it only seems to render extra channels when used with the Dolby Atmos for Headphones renderer. When playing E-AC-3 Atmos content with DTS Headphone:X, the 9.1.6 channels are flattened to 5.1 channels.

DTS Headphone:X also has correction profiles for many headphone models to provide the most accurate HRTF.

If you don't care about object-based audio, then the Mobius' 7.1-channel mode with 3D on is the most realistic of them all.

If you have a sound card that exposes a 7.1-channel playback device, you can just use Equalizer APO to apply whatever HRTF you want for free and output stereo for headphones. This is better than using a virtual playback device.

Last edited:
Nov 26, 2019 at 7:32 AM Post #4,041 of 4,136
Waves Nx uses a virtual playback device IIRC. While it will work with any sound card / DAC, I would avoid such software solutions and just get an Audeze Mobius with integrated Waves Nx for head tracking. Even with my Mobius I have ultimately disabled its 3D & head tracking and just use Windows' Spatial Sound as an increasing number of games support Spatial Sound. I purchased both DTS Headphone:X and Dolby Atmos for Headphones and I prefer one over the other depending on the title.

The latest build of MPC-HC now supports 7.1-channel output when Spatial Sound is enabled. E-AC-3 Atmos content is only supported on Media Foundation players like Windows Media Player and UWP apps, and it only seems to render extra channels when used with the Dolby Atmos for Headphones renderer. When playing E-AC-3 Atmos content with DTS Headphone:X, the 9.1.6 channels are flattened to 5.1 channels.

DTS Headphone:X also has correction profiles for many headphone models to provide the most accurate HRTF.

If you don't care about object-based audio, then the Mobius' 7.1-channel mode with 3D on is the most realistic of them all.

If you have a sound card that exposes a 7.1-channel playback device, you can just use Equalizer APO to apply whatever HRTF you want for free and output stereo for headphones. This is better than using a virtual playback device.

Did not like how the Mobius sounded.

What is Windows Spacial Sound? Windows Sonic?
I tested most of the HRTF's except for DTS H:X. Tested OOYH, but not with a good setup.
NX was best for me.

MPC with LAV has worked with multi channel output for some time. Works fine with NX.

I don't want to change Waves NX, just want to use it with a DAC.
Can a sample rate be changed in a DAC?

Nov 26, 2019 at 3:25 PM Post #4,042 of 4,136
Did not like how the Mobius sounded.

What is Windows Spacial Sound? Windows Sonic?
I tested most of the HRTF's except for DTS H:X. Tested OOYH, but not with a good setup.
NX was best for me.

MPC with LAV has worked with multi channel output for some time. Works fine with NX.

I don't want to change Waves NX, just want to use it with a DAC.
Can a sample rate be changed in a DAC?
The Mobius uses Waves Nx with different defaults (Room Ambience set to 35 vs 17).

Windows Sonic gives true object-based audio in games that support it, and 7.1 channels in others. It can either downmix for headphones using a HRTF renderer like Dolby Atmos for Headphones / DTS Headphone:X, or output an Atmos bitstream over HDMI for an AVR. The API used by games is called Spatial Sound. It didn't work with MPC-BE because when using headphones the system mix format is still reported as 2-channel. MPC-BE has been updated to use the best supported format such as 7.1 channels instead of the mix format. In older sound card / virtual playback device based HRTF soflutions, the mix format is 7.1 channels. This works with older applications but it will never support object-based audio.

Given that Windows Sonic is the future for Xbox and PC games going forward, 7.1-channel HRTFs are not worth investing in. Just buy one of the Spatial Sound renderers from the Microsoft Store and use them with any headphones. You may have a better experience with DTS Headphone:X as it has profiles for many headphone models. Spatial Sound only works on surround streams and ignore stereo streams, so applications like stereo music players will not be affected. You can play music in the background while running a game, and the HRTF will apply only to the game stream.

You can set the DAC to whatever sample rates it exposes from the playback device settings. Spatial Sound only works at 16-bit / 24-bit 48 kHz.

Last edited:
Nov 26, 2019 at 4:34 PM Post #4,043 of 4,136
The Mobius uses Waves Nx with different defaults (Room Ambience set to 35 vs 17).

Windows Sonic gives true object-based audio in games that support it, and 7.1 channels in others. It can either downmix for headphones using a HRTF renderer like Dolby Atmos for Headphones / DTS Headphone:X, or output an Atmos bitstream over HDMI for an AVR. The API used by games is called Spatial Sound. It didn't work with MPC-BE because when using headphones the system mix format is still reported as 2-channel. MPC-BE has been updated to use the best supported format such as 7.1 channels instead of the mix format. In older sound card / virtual playback device based HRTF soflutions, the mix format is 7.1 channels. This works with older applications but it will never support object-based audio.

Given that Windows Sonic is the future for Xbox and PC games going forward, 7.1-channel HRTFs are not worth investing in. Just buy one of the Spatial Sound renderers from the Microsoft Store and use them with any headphones. You may have a better experience with DTS Headphone:X as it has profiles for many headphone models. Spatial Sound only works on surround streams and ignore stereo streams, so applications like stereo music players will not be affected. You can play music in the background while running a game, and the HRTF will apply only to the game stream.

You can set the DAC to whatever sample rates it exposes from the playback device settings. Spatial Sound only works at 16-bit / 24-bit 48 kHz.

Isn't Windows Sonic free?

I tried Sonic and Atmos, I did not like the way they sounded. Wanted a musical HRTF more than an accurate spacial point virtualizer, and NX was the best out of those tested.

Is it MPC BE or HC that was updated?

I remember when selecting Sonic the OS and Xonar channel configuration changed to 2.0. I'm not sure how this would have been changed from MPC, it's Windows thing. And the latest MPC has LAV included, so that is what is handling the audio. There hasn't been an update to LAV since March.
Can't remember what happened to the audio channels when selecting Atmos.

Nov 26, 2019 at 4:48 PM Post #4,044 of 4,136
Isn't Windows Sonic free?

I tried Sonic and Atmos, I did not like the way they sounded. Wanted a musical HRTF more than an accurate spacial point virtualizer, and NX was the best out of those tested.

Is it MPC BE or HC that was updated?

I remember when selecting Sonic the OS and Xonar channel configuration changed to 2.0. I'm not sure how this would have been changed from MPC, it's Windows thing. And the latest MPC has LAV included, so that is what is handling the audio. There hasn't been an update to LAV since March.
Can't remember what happened to the audio channels when selecting Atmos.
In my opinion, Windows Sonic < Dolby Atmos for Headphones < DTS Headphone:X.
DTS has Balanced and Spacious settings which make a big difference - try the trial. Atmos also has several settings including an accuracy mode which is the default.
When you enable Spatial Sound (with any headphone renderer), the speaker layout gets changed to 2-channel, so apps must be updated to detect that update 7.1-channel formats are still available using the correct API.

MPC-HC is dead. MPC-BE is actively developed and is the way to go. It's been updated to use the correct API and output 7.1-channel even when Spatial Sound is enabled and the speaker layout reports 2-channel. The final audio output is handled by MPC Audio Renderer, not LAV Filters. LAV Filters always decodes to multi-channel but the renderer will downmix the audio again if not updated.

I still think it's is mistake to limit yourself to 7.1 channels when everything is migrating to object-based audio.

Last edited:
Nov 26, 2019 at 5:04 PM Post #4,045 of 4,136
In my opinion, Windows Sonic < Dolby Atmos for Headphones < DTS Headphone:X.
DTS has Balanced and Spacious settings which make a big difference - try the trial. Atmos also has several settings including an accuracy mode which is the default.
When you enable Spatial Sound (with any headphone renderer), the speaker layout gets changed to 2-channel, so apps must be updated to detect that update 7.1-channel formats are still available using the correct API.

MPC-HC is dead. MPC-BE is actively developed and is the way to go. It's been updated to use the correct API and output 7.1-channel even when Spatial Sound is enabled and the speaker layout reports 2-channel. The final audio output is handled by MPC Audio Renderer, not LAV Filters. LAV Filters always decodes to multi-channel but the renderer will downmix the audio again if not updated.

I still think it's is mistake to limit yourself to 7.1 channels when everything is migrating to object-based audio.

Is there a list of Spacial Sound compatible games?
I only know of this list:
http://satsun.org/audio/

Nov 26, 2019 at 5:08 PM Post #4,046 of 4,136
Dec 14, 2019 at 7:15 AM Post #4,047 of 4,136
Not sure if this makes sense, is it possible to use Waves NX with DSD?

Using foobbar, followed the guide here: https://diyaudioheaven.wordpress.co...-part-3-new-experimental-sacd-plugin-v-0-9-x/
With Mode 1: Bitperfect.

Mojo DAC via USB.
Not entirely sure this DAC can do native DSD or DSD over DOP.
The manual (http://www.chordelectronics.co.uk/wp-content/uploads/2016/09/Mojo-Manual-28072016.pdf) claims only DSD over DOP, however the sample frequency ball can turn white if the signal is DSD.

04.JPG

1 x micro USB capable of 44KHz to 768KHz PCM and DSD64, DSD128 and DSD256 in DoP format.
DSD playback is supported using the DoP Standard 1.0 with 0xFA / 0x05 markers.

Something is working, not sure what. The light turns pink with the settings below:

05.JPG

01.png

02.png

DS: NX works fine, if in SACD DSD is changed to PCM.

But DSD:WASAPI push/event with NX does not.
The DAC is selected in Waves NX, and is primary in Sound>Playback in Control Panel.

There is some multi channel music I would like to try in this method.

Last edited:
Dec 14, 2019 at 7:19 AM Post #4,048 of 4,136
It’s a waste of time using DSD and other hi-res snake oil with HRTFs as all fidelity is destroyed in the filters anyway. Nx and other DSPs only work in PCM internally, as did the mixing console that produced the DSD snake oil in the first place.

Last edited:
May 6, 2020 at 11:11 AM Post #4,049 of 4,136
hi guys my gaming audio setup is ad700x + sbz
i had tried hesuvi with oal_dflt hrir and for me works great but i use vb cable mod with mb audio...i m noob about audio but if i need vb cable mod and need to use mb audio,can i use some amp/dac for better audio fidelity and hesuvi for pinpoint accuracy?if yes which amp/dac is better for my ad700x?actually i have modmic4 and planning to buy mw800 microphone don t know if is a useless info(or dac/amp can amp mic too)

May 6, 2020 at 11:23 AM Post #4,050 of 4,136
hi guys my gaming audio setup is ad700x + sbz
i had tried hesuvi with oal_dflt hrir and for me works great but i use vb cable mod with mb audio...i m noob about audio but if i need vb cable mod and need to use mb audio,can i use some amp/dac for better audio fidelity and hesuvi for pinpoint accuracy?if yes which amp/dac is better for my ad700x?actually i have modmic4 and planning to buy mw800 microphone don't know if is a useless info(or dac/amp can amp mic too)
The CL SB-Z's headphone jack has a 22-Ohm output impedance, which might cause a bloated (louder less detailed) bass for 38-Ohm (AD700X) headphones.
As the AD700X are so bass light, some might prefer the bloated bass.
Creative's newer AE series of internal sound cards has a much lower output impedance, which would offer better damping control (less bloated bass and better detail), with the AD700X.
But if you really have no need for sound card's headphone surround sound features, you can get a Schiit Modi/Magni and connect it to the motherboard's optical (or USB) port.
If Hesuvi can send it's audio out the USB port, then you could just get a Schiit Fulla 3.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back