The Nameless Guide To PC Gaming Audio (with binaural headphone surround sound)
Sep 5, 2019 at 8:13 AM Post #4,021 of 4,136
Oct 28, 2019 at 8:25 AM Post #4,024 of 4,136
Guys, I'm a owner of a Sennheiser HD 598 headphone and a Creative Sound Blaster Titanium X-FI HD soundcard and I'm looking for upgrade both (for gaming).

Which headphone do you suggest to upgrade from a HD 598? And soundcard? A Creative Sound Blaster AE-5 will be a good upgrade or doesn't worth it?

I'm looking for better soundstage to better hear the "footsteps" on FPS, but I don't want a poor sound for other gamings too.

Regards,

Ricardo

Last edited:
Oct 28, 2019 at 10:37 PM Post #4,025 of 4,136
Guys, I'm a owner of a Sennheiser HD 598 headphone and a Creative Sound Blaster Titanium X-FI HD sound card and I'm looking for upgrade both (for gaming).
Which headphone do you suggest to upgrade from a HD 598? And soundcard? A Creative Sound Blaster AE-5 will be a good upgrade or doesn't worth it?
I'm looking for better soundstage to better hear the "footsteps" on FPS, but I don't want a poor sound for other gamings too.
Regards, Ricardo
The Sennheiser HD598 seem to get positive feedback for FPS gaming.
The Ti-HD's headphone jack has a 35-Ohm output impedance, which means it might be causing the 50-Ohm HD598 to have a bloated (louder, less detailed) bass (poor damping control).
The AE-5's headphone jack has a 1-Ohm output impedance, which offers better damping control for 50-Ohm headphones (HD598).
Creative Labas claims the scout mode on the AE-5 helps to hear footsteps.

Nov 8, 2019 at 10:52 PM Post #4,026 of 4,136
Hi All,

Just looking for confirmation that I have my X-Fi Titanium HD configured correctly for the best compatibility with API's while gaming.

I have it setup as below:

- Game Mode
- Control Panel set to Headphones with Optimize speaker output for headphones
- Windows Sound Control Panel set to 5.1 Surround
- X-Fi CMSS-3D Disabled

When playing games, should I ALWAYS be enabling X-Fi CMSS-3D? As an example, I've just started playing RDR2, which lets me set the in-game audio to 5.1. Should I be enabling X-Fi CMSS-3D here?

Nov 9, 2019 at 3:30 PM Post #4,027 of 4,136
Hi All,

Just looking for confirmation that I have my X-Fi Titanium HD configured correctly for the best compatibility with API's while gaming.

I have it setup as below:

- Game Mode
- Control Panel set to Headphones with Optimize speaker output for headphones
- Windows Sound Control Panel set to 5.1 Surround
- X-Fi CMSS-3D Disabled

When playing games, should I ALWAYS be enabling X-Fi CMSS-3D? As an example, I've just started playing RDR2, which lets me set the in-game audio to 5.1. Should I be enabling X-Fi CMSS-3D here?

Yea, you would need cmss 3d to convert the 5.1 into a format optimal for headphones.

Nov 9, 2019 at 7:20 PM Post #4,028 of 4,136
Hi, I know that many of you have probably seen hundreds of posts like mine and some of you may be tired of them. I understand but I live in a country where there's simply no way for me to test 99% of audiophile headphones, and I really want to improve my gaming experience and simply don't want to make a mistake. I'd appreciate any help :)

For starters I should mention the most important details. My budget is ~$220/€200/£175 for the headphones alone. I currently do not own any amp but I don't mind buying one later on if it will make the headphones that much better, however I'm gonna be honest, I'm not here to make this my lifetime hobby, I just want a pleasant experience so not buying an amp if not required would be nice too.

Here's a breakdown of my activities that I use headphones for :
  • PC Gaming (80%) (However, it would be a nice addition if the headphones could work with consoles too)
  1. Single Player games (60%)
  2. Multiplayer or competitive shooter games (20%)
  • Movies or Series (15%)
  • Music (5%)
All of that is being done inside my room, I do not use headphones outside.

As you can see I'm mostly a gamer that likes to fiddle with competitive shooters from time to time but ultimately I seek Single Player immersion and the so called "fun" aspect as I've heard. Footsteps are important for me but it's not a life or death situation. I watch movies from time to time on my PC and rarely listen to music. I do occasionally play single player games on consoles.

So here I am, going through various reviews, websites, forums etc. for the last 3 days reading words that I simply do not understand as I've never been into audio before. Like I said, this will probably not become my hobby but I'm interested, I want proper cans.
I've researched plenty of audiophile headphones that are good for gaming but I just can't decide, there's always something somewhere written about each that turns me away.
  • Philips Fidelio X2HR - These are on top of my list for a reason, they have come down in price DRAMATICALLY over the last year and I've been waiting for Black Friday to pick them up from Amazon UK. However, there's as many reviews that praise them as there are that completely crap all over them. I heard they're "fun" but grainy (I have no idea what that means) and overall not great for competitive.
  • Beyerdynamic DT(770/880/990) - I've heard people pick one and complain about the other two so I've no idea which one is good anymore.
  • AKG K712 Pro - I heard many good things about them, apparently just as "fun" as the Fidelio's, however I heard the AKG to have a flimsy design,
  • Sennheiser HD600/650/HD6XX - I read the soundstage isn't as great as Fidelio's and that they need a good amp.
  • Sennheiser HD598 - A bit too much on the competitive side of things and not enough on "fun" from what I read.
Of course there's probably plenty missing here, other AKG models etc. but you get the idea. Ultimately I'm leaning towards either the Fidelio X2HR which I could turn into wireless if I wanted to with the FiiO BTR3 or AKG K712 Pro but those would probably be more expensive even on black Friday and I suppose they wouldn't be that great if turned into wireless as I believe they need an amp if I understand correctly.

Any help would be greatly appreciated. Thank you.

P.S. I've seeked help in Mad Lust's thread and was eager to go with Fidelio's after people pointed me in that direction in that thread but since then I read other reviews etc etc and now I'm just lost so I thought I'd ask here.

Nov 11, 2019 at 8:33 PM Post #4,029 of 4,136
What is the make and model of your PC's motherboard?
Check out the Soundmagic HP200 headphones, they are like a combo of the DT880 & DT990 (best parts of each)

Nov 11, 2019 at 8:36 PM Post #4,030 of 4,136
Guys, I'm a owner of a Sennheiser HD 598 headphone and a Creative Sound Blaster Titanium X-FI HD sound card and I'm looking for upgrade both (for gaming).
Regards, Ricardo
Disable the motherboard's on-board audio, in the BIOS.
Get a Schiit Magni or JDS Atom headphones amplifier and connect it to the TI-HD (Titanium-HD) line-output (RCA) jacks.
See if that improves the HD598 (it should at least a little).

Nov 11, 2019 at 10:21 PM Post #4,031 of 4,136
Yea, you would need cmss 3d to convert the 5.1 into a format optimal for headphones.

Thanks for this, it's working great so far. My assumption here is that if a game has headphone support with it's own 3D engine (eg. CSGO) then I can use this with, despite having the device set to 5.1 in Windows.

EDIT: As an aside, I wish there was a better way of knowing what games have surround / 3D / Binaural support.

Last edited:
Nov 12, 2019 at 5:36 AM Post #4,032 of 4,136
What is the make and model of your PC's motherboard?
Check out the Soundmagic HP200 headphones, they are like a combo of the DT880 & DT990 (best parts of each)
Sorry, did you mean me? I can't figure out if that was to my post :D Ignore if not :) Mobo is Asus Strix Z270F Gaming. I don't really know if it's aptX compatible (For Wireless Fidelio X2) but I don't mind upgrading it, I'll be upgrading my CPU anyway. As for the HP200, I couldn't find that much on it to be honest, they seem good as far as I can tell. I wonder if they'd be as good as the Fidelio's @£109 (about ~$140). I'm also looking into the AKG712 Pro but they'd need a good amp as far as I know so that would limit the wireless modification for me.

Nov 16, 2019 at 1:50 PM Post #4,033 of 4,136
Has anyone tried the DTS:X Headphone available in Win10 yet? I’ve been using it on an insider build for a few months now and I have to say I’m pretty happy with it. It sounds better than the Atmos Headphone and give a great sense of surround without the hassle of HeSuVi. I was playing Jedi Fallen Order last night and one of the early scenes has you on a train with conversations going on around you and the sense of depth was some of the best I’ve heard.
It also has a selection of headphones with specific EQ curves built in. It could use some more as it was missing both the HD800S and Focal Clear so I’m left using the “generic over ear” setting.

Nov 18, 2019 at 11:28 AM Post #4,034 of 4,136
Hi all, could use some suggestion here.

Currently using optical output of creative ae-5 to feed my dac&amp, ae-5 allows play mix to digital out so i have been utilizing the dsp it had for gaming and movies for a while.

I recommend my friends to get möbius for gaming and he did, after I tried it. Have to say it’s the best virtual 7.1 i have ever encountered. Realize it is powered by wavesnx so I downloaded the software for a 30 day trials, sounded great but however it is using 10% of the cpu(win10 64 1909 9900k 32g) all the time. Really made it not suitable for gaming.

Therefore i wish to find some sort of alternative to replace ae-5, with similar digital output capacity and effectiveness like wavesnx.

Thank you

Nov 18, 2019 at 11:34 AM Post #4,035 of 4,136
Guys, I'm a owner of a Sennheiser HD 598 headphone and a Creative Sound Blaster Titanium X-FI HD soundcard and I'm looking for upgrade both (for gaming).

Regards,

Ricardo

If you intended to go for next gen creative sound card i would recommend you avoid ae-5 and go for ae-9. The amp stage on Ae-7 & ae-9 is league way better. But to be honest i think you should get an external amp first. Dac wise ae-5 and ae-7&9 is not that much of difference. And even they had better amp stage than ae-5 it is still no better than an external amp like thx789 or something similar.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back