The Nameless Guide To PC Gaming Audio (with binaural headphone surround sound)
Jul 25, 2016 at 12:27 AM Post #3,601 of 4,136
Hello everyone.  I'm not sure if this combination has been discussed on here before, but I would like to talk about my experience using the Earforce DSS2's stereo upmix capabilities, after initial processing via the highly rated CMSS3D.

To start I will say that I own an X-Fi Titanium original (CMSS3D), Xonar DGX (Dolby Headphone), Logitech USB G430 USB DAC (Dolby Headphone), ALC1150 mobo (Dolby Home Theater), Earforce DSS (Dolby Headphone/O through toslink), Earforce DSS2 (Proprietary Dolby Implementation), and a couple of "true 7.1" discrete drive headsets (cringe).  The release of Dolby Atmos for Headphone was with Overwatch, and I also have many hours listened to that as well.

Some people like to perfect their overclock, some people like to hear the most accurate reproduction of music, some want the highest refresh rate. I consider myself a connoisseur of game immersion, and sound is a huge part of that in my opinion.

From what I can tell, all of the single-solution headphone surround sound implementations are severely lacking.  CMSS3D has unmatched positional accuracy, but really poor resolution when it comes to depth and distance.  Everything is in the right place, but it sounds extremely flat. A visual analogy: CMSS3D is like looking at a painting, where hearing the world with your ears is like wearing a Rift.

Dolby Headphone lacks the precise positional clarity of CMSS3D, but projects you positionally into the environment instead of feeling like you are staring at a flat screen.  However, even the lowest echo setting of this HRTF is far too strong, making any outside area sound like a concert hall designed to reverberate acoustics.

I've also owned both the Tiamat and the Strix 7.1 (call me a sucker if you like), and, well, they are just sh**t, lets leave it at that.

Enter the DSS2.

After a lot of searching, researching, and money spent, I was ready to just settle on one of the two major technologies and give up my hope for truly immersive surround sound.  The DSS2 has actually been slammed for not bringing to the table the same Dolby Headphone technology we all are familiar with.  Instead, it offers a 4.1 HRTF that works as an upmixer or downmixer depending upon the input.  It has several speaker orientations that change how the sound is processed.

A few months ago I wondered what would happen if I chained together different headphone surround DSPs.  Turns out CMSS3D to Dolby Headphone sounds wrong, and vice versa. No kidding, they really sound awful together.  Okay, bummer.  But what would happen if I fed CMSS3D (as stereo) into this virtual 4.1 upmixer?

Magic.

Two of my favorite test benches for surround sound are Far Cry (Primal), given the extreme amount of environmental noise variety. Also, Assassin's Creed (Unity), given the ambitious goal of accurately reproducing the sounds of a bustling, packed 18th century Paris (in 3rd person!).

The sounds that seemed to be so piercingly directional melted into an appropriate fade according to their distance, and smoothly pan as your turn.  The heavy left-right effect of CMSS3D, where the center channel is thin and short, disappeared.  And best of all, the virtual upmix adds NO echo.

In my opinion, the final product of this DSP/HRTF combination is a much more realistic and immersive headphone surround sound than any single vendor currently offers

Long time lurker, first time poster, but I've learned alot from Head-Fi.  Thanks to @NamelessPFG whetting my appetite for immersive PC surround sound. 

Jul 25, 2016 at 8:44 AM Post #3,602 of 4,136
A few months ago I wondered what would happen if I chained together different headphone surround DSPs.  Turns out CMSS3D to Dolby Headphone sounds wrong, and vice versa. No kidding, they really sound awful together.  Okay, bummer.  But what would happen if I fed CMSS3D (as stereo) into this 4.1 upmixer?  
Magic.

I'm curious. So you're downmixing the game's surround to 2.0 through CMSS3D (with the positional cues), then upmixing to a 4.1 signal and then downmixing again to 2.0 for the headphones?

Jul 25, 2016 at 9:30 AM Post #3,603 of 4,136
  I'm curious. So you're downmixing the game's surround to 2.0 through CMSS3D (with the positional cues), then upmixing to a 4.1 signal and then downmixing again to 2.0 for the headphones?

Almost, I think I'll need to go back and edit my word choices.  It's a "virtual 4.1" upmix, not actually upmixing to 4.1 and then back to stereo. It works the same way CMSS3D or Dolby would upmix stereo input to "virtual surround".

Jul 25, 2016 at 11:04 AM Post #3,604 of 4,136

Almost, I think I'll need to go back and edit my word choices.  It's a "virtual 4.1" upmix, not actually upmixing to 4.1 and then back to stereo. It works the same way CMSS3D or Dolby would upmix stereo input to "virtual surround".

But, what's the point to upmix to virtual 4.1 if you're going to output it in 2.0?

Aug 1, 2016 at 4:50 PM Post #3,605 of 4,136
Nugz,
I somewhat recently got a DSS2 too (that Newegg Rebate deal!), and agree it works pretty well. It has been maligned and given a poor rep in the past, but I agree it's pretty great in actual use.

One of the DSS2 myths is that it's a 4.1 surround device. That was brought about by bad marketing illustrations that don't show a center channel, but that came from trying to demonstrate how some of the speaker angles can be adjusted (obviously the center channel doesn't move). The DSS2 takes the full Dolby Digital Live input from optical, decodes it, uses a proprietary DSP by Cirrus Logic to make a HRTF/Virtual Surround mix for stereo headphones, and outputs that via a headphone jack. You can also connect a stereo input and have the DSS2 perform an EQ and a "simulated surround" from the stereo (I haven't tested that on the DSS2, but I typically read that as "try to make it sound as if it was coming from speakers in front of you and to the side, instead of a flat line from ear-to-ear inside your head.").

I'm guessing you used CMSS-3D to calculate the positional audio, and then connected that stereo feed to the DSS2 for more "simulated surround" processing layered on top? That would certainly make the CMSS-3D sound less dry... If you like the result, awesome! I haven't tried it myself, as I don't own any CMSS-3D devices.

Aug 3, 2016 at 6:14 AM Post #3,606 of 4,136
Can someone recommend a virtual 5.1 - 7.1 software for Windows 10 that can give pinpoint directional for enemy's footsteps. I am tired of these guys hearing my footsteps even when I have dead silence on a mile away and pre-aimed at me. Game is Call of duty Black Ops 3. It's almost as if they are straight hacking, I only give them the benefit of the doubt because I have not seen them use it in person obviously. But sometimes it's just ridiculous how far away they hear me when I can't hear them. I see this through the kill cam after they kill me. I am a average 2.35 KD player and the guys I play with are usually 2.00-3.00 kd guys so it's not like I'm a complete newb at the game just complaining because I am getting killed. I am currently just using window 10 realtek driver for stereo output through optical connection. So I thought It's time that I up my gaming audio game and get a good gaming 5.1 software that pinpoints footsteps and directional audio. With the realtek drivers, I sometimes hear footsteps behind me when the enemy is to the side of me and etc. Completely messed up obviously.

I currently have Chord mojo as dac/amp through optical connection and picking up Ether C soon.

Aug 3, 2016 at 6:41 AM Post #3,607 of 4,136
get a cheap x-fi titanium and use CMSS-3D 7.1 if you are into competitiveness. It'll reveal the most out of all current solutions. SBX from the SBZ, X7 is the best for immersion. 

Aug 3, 2016 at 7:08 AM Post #3,609 of 4,136
Remember to only grab one of these (all are PCIe):

X-Fi Titanium
X-Fi Titanium HD ("only" 5.1!)
X-Fi Titanium Fatal1ty Champion
X-Fi Titanium Fatal1ty Professional
The last 3 have 64MB X-Ram onboard. Doesn't matter nowadays but what could matter is the 7.1 support which the HD lacks. 

All these cards can be gotten for very cheap. Friend of mine bought his a few days ago for mere 15€. 

Remember to install Daniel K's X-Fi Pack 3.8 and skip most of the stuff that gets installed. Driver, control panel, console, Alchemy matter most. 

If you have any problems regarding that installation just ask here. 

Aug 3, 2016 at 8:40 AM Post #3,610 of 4,136
I just got a back offer from seller for Titanium Hd for $105.00 - Just used for testing to see if it works. Pretty much brand new. Just quick question before I pull the plug on Titanium HD.

I am planning to use it with Chord Mojo through coaxial. Will the CMSS 3D still work this way? so the setup will be

Titanium HD to Mojo to heaephones Thanks again.

Aug 3, 2016 at 8:43 AM Post #3,611 of 4,136
Titanium HD has an optical out which delivers CMSS-3D Headphone properly. However 105 Dollars is way too much. They go for 50 to 60 Dollars here in Germany. Why should it be more expensive in the US? 

Aug 3, 2016 at 8:44 AM Post #3,612 of 4,136
Just want to add that I tested Sound Blaster X-Fi MB3 with my ODAC (and my Realtek onboard sound card which I think it's only needed for the application to start) and it worked nicely! No audio latency that I could notice or anything. I tested it with BF4.

I can finally remove my old PCI X-Fi XtremeMusic from my PC.

Aug 3, 2016 at 10:16 AM Post #3,613 of 4,136
  Just want to add that I tested Sound Blaster X-Fi MB3 with my ODAC (and my Realtek onboard sound card which I think it's only needed for the application to start) and it worked nicely! No audio latency that I could notice or anything. I tested it with BF4.

I can finally remove my old PCI X-Fi XtremeMusic from my PC.

If you're outputting directly to your ODAC, you will only be getting stereo sound from the games.
MB3 only supports surround sound when outputting to on-board audio codecs.

Aug 3, 2016 at 10:53 AM Post #3,614 of 4,136

If you're outputting directly to your ODAC, you will only be getting stereo sound from the games.
MB3 only supports surround sound when outputting to on-board audio codecs.

I thought that too, but somehow I'm clearly getting surround sound. I don't know how the Windows sound API works, but apparently games can output 7.1 sound to a 2.0 device. Now, I've only tested it with 2 applications: Battlefield 4 and Foobar (with a 7.1 speaker test file), and there's a clear distinction between SBX ProStudio Surround enabled and disabled. I can record a video on BF4 to show you if you're curious.
Games that follow Windows configuration to decide to output stereo or surround might not work. Can you suggest me a small game or application to test it?

These are the settings I'm using:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back