The Nameless Guide To PC Gaming Audio (with binaural headphone surround sound)
Nov 19, 2014 at 11:14 AM Post #3,211 of 4,136
I haven't used the motherboard but a friend of mine did and he enjoyed it alot with his Ultrasone HFI-700 Headphones as well the A900X I had gave him, it should be very similar to omni/Z.  Since it pretty much a Sound blaster Z fused with a motherboard. The one thing that edge it out is the fact you can swap op-amps, to change the sound signature of the Front and Headphone out sound. Where you can't do that on the omni or the Z without physically removing the chips and sodding them on the cards.

Nov 19, 2014 at 1:10 PM Post #3,212 of 4,136
I haven't used the motherboard but a friend of mine did and he enjoyed it alot with his Ultrasone HFI-700 Headphones as well the A900X I had gave him, it should be very similar to omni/Z.  Since it pretty much a Sound blaster Z fused with a motherboard. The one thing that edge it out is the fact you can swap op-amps, to change the sound signature of the Front and Headphone out sound. Where you can't do that on the omni or the Z without physically removing the chips and sodding them on the cards.

This pretty much echoes my thoughts, I just have no proof.
Also note that the front out isn't amped, only the rear.

Edit: and I find answers to some of my questions back on pg 203 or so. I just hadn't made it that far yet.
Patience young padewan, patience.

Nov 19, 2014 at 1:22 PM Post #3,213 of 4,136
This pretty much echoes my thoughts, I just have no proof.
Also note that the front out isn't amped, only the rear.

When I mention Front, I was talking about the Speakers output and not the front of the case. As the Front L&R Speaker output and the Headphone out uses the op-amp thats swappable, while the other channels do not.  I guess I worded it wrong.

Nov 19, 2014 at 2:11 PM Post #3,214 of 4,136
When I mention Front, I was talking about the Speakers output and not the front of the case. As the Front L&R Speaker output and the Headphone out uses the op-amp thats swappable, while the other channels do not.  I guess I worded it wrong.

Or I read it wrong, no big deal.
And as I mentioned I usually find the answers I'm looking for in these mature threads I just have to dig all the way through them before asking questions, which I didn't do here :wink:. A prime example is the Mad Dogs review thread, chock full of useful stuff, but it is over 400 pages long, had been locked and now has a second one over 200. It's taking a while...

Nov 19, 2014 at 9:36 PM Post #3,215 of 4,136
lol wow, i dont eve know why I thought it only had an optical in or...I dont know lol

Good to know. But what would be the major difference between the Z card and the Omni USB?
I use only windows 7 and in terms of them both having the same DAC, how are we sure that they do share the same DAC?

Also. Wouldnt a PCIe x1 be a better interface for audio compared to USB? or is the USB cleaner?

and also, would you say the Omni be more convenient compared to a Z card? It does have a volume knob which is cool, so as to not using the keyboard to raise or lower the volume.

Its kind of hard to choose, since for some reason, the Z card just looks more beefed up compared to the Omni. Even though on paper they carry the same specs. Something must be better in the Z card that the Omni doesnt have. But that would have to be diggin really dip into the subject.

Edit:
So i went to the creative labs website, tried to talk to a customer service rep. Asked them about if they knew if both had the same DAC...they dont know. I was like huh?

But from what specs show on their website, when using their compare feature, Sound Blaster Z is better than omni in some aspects but everything else is the same. SNR is 100db for omni and 116db for Z. For Max playback quality the omni does 24 bit/ 96khz and the Z doesn 24 bit/ 192khz in stereo direct mode and 24 bit/ 96hz in surround. Z has dts connect and omni doesnt. Z has optical in and Omni doesnt....

So i guess if the price drops this BF to what it was last year, I would say its a better buy if you only use it for your pc only/ windows.

Omni may be more favorable if you use Mac/Windows and carry a laptop with you as well. Both have the same functions but it seems the Z has better internals, unless someone can find that info. We already know that the ZxR has better internals anyways but i dont think we know how much the internal differ from the Z and Omni.

but for now, guess I will go with the Z, especially that I currently found out that my GFX card going into PCIe 3.0 x8 wont really get affected performance wise. Im sure that once GFX cards become more powerful and start using more bandwidth, PCIe lanes will matter...but by then, All the good stuff that current x99 platform has right now, will make its way to the mainstream platform down the road.

Or we can all just go enthusiast and get ourselfs a  5960k six core unlocked with more PCIe lanes, ddr4, compared to the mainstream quadcore with 16 pcie lanes and ddr3.

I wonder if sound cards will ever utilize more than just x1 pcie slots down the road? probably not anytime soon or ever?

I just talked to Gigabyte tech support about their h97 ATX board and confirmed that the pci e x16 and pci e x1 lanes do NOT share bandwidth. Hope this helps...

...My first contribution.

Nov 19, 2014 at 10:07 PM Post #3,216 of 4,136
I just talked to Gigabyte tech support about their h97 ATX board and confirmed that the pci e x16 and pci e x1 lanes do NOT share bandwidth. Hope this helps...

...My first contribution.

Sweet! I should have called Gigabyte support lol 

I have a Gigabyte Z97 UD3H.

So i guess I can keep that 1 fps difference after all lol

thanks for the info

Nov 26, 2014 at 1:44 PM Post #3,218 of 4,136
I'd assume the volume dial controls headphone and the passive speaker taps, but I haven't seen mention that the RCA connectors are variable output, but the volume may still be controlled at the digital stage by the volume dial.

I don't know for sure and consumers won't either till the X7 is actually released, but I'd assume that you can control volume one way or another.

Nov 27, 2014 at 9:49 AM Post #3,220 of 4,136
Hey everyone,

Please could someone help me understand this quickly:

Could i get the AKG 7XX and the O2 amp, and would that drive the headphones enough  with a normal realtech motherboard sound card?

Nov 27, 2014 at 10:51 AM Post #3,221 of 4,136
  Hey everyone,

Please could someone help me understand this quickly:

Could i get the AKG 7XX and the O2 amp, and would that drive the headphones enough  with a normal realtech motherboard sound card?

I want to say yes but you are going to get alot of hissing since usually motherboards dont have an EMI shield.Its not fun hearing all that hissing amplified

Nov 27, 2014 at 5:50 PM Post #3,223 of 4,136
SOUND BLASTER Z AND SOUND BLASTER OMNI ARE NOW IN BLACK FRIDAY MODE

SOUND BLASTER Z IS $65

AND

SOUND BLASTER OMNI IS $50

not including tax since people live in different states.

This is currently how Creative website has the listed.

I personally will just order from amazon.com and if they lower the price from here till cyber monday, you can always get a price match within a week.

Sound Blaster Z
http://www.amazon.com/dp/B009ISU33E/

Sound Blaster Omni
http://www.amazon.com/dp/B00EZT7RE4/

Nov 28, 2014 at 3:57 PM Post #3,224 of 4,136
Even at this late hour if anyone here happens to be military or dependents, you may find it worth your while to check your aafes exchange electronics section for a soundblaster ZxR. I strolled in around noon when I figured it was safe and everything would be swiped. I wasn't there for any black Friday stuff. But low and behold, a couple of them were just chilling on the shelf for $150 no tax. I guess not many people go in thrre for computer components because their selection is mediocre. But they do happen to carry some popular sound and video cards. Schiit just got real.
ReplyQuote

Dec 1, 2014 at 8:49 PM Post #3,225 of 4,136
So what are the other differences between the SB X7 and the Astro mixamp besides the X7 having more power to drive high impedance headphones???:Is there any reason to buy the X7 if I'm using easy to drive headphones like ad700s???

My setup right now when using hard to drive headphones when gaming is the Fiio e12 hooked up to an astro mixamp. How would that compare to an x7?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back