The Nameless Guide To PC Gaming Audio (with binaural headphone surround sound)
Oct 18, 2014 at 11:26 AM Post #3,151 of 4,136
Hello all. I have been reading much of this thread for a while now and have a headache. I'm completely new to this and there is too much information, terms I do not comprehend and variable dependancies. I'm hoping to post a bit of information of what I want to do and get a fairly simply explained solution. Like what combination of equipment would do what I want.

So. Let's say I get the Fidelio X2. What pairs well with it?
I want Dolby Surround.
I'd like this to sound good for music too. (Country and classic rock (e.g phill collins))
Will having a soundcard negate the need for an amp or DAC to any extent?
I want to have an Xbox1 as well, so maybe I'd best have those...
I want to be able to talk through a modmic on PC and console.
I want to run Linux. Probably Mint.

Oct 18, 2014 at 12:17 PM Post #3,152 of 4,136
I had the x1 paired with my creative labs recon3d and it paired really well. The good thing about the recon3d usb is that i can use it with a ps3 or ps4 and also with my PC. Mic is a vmoda boom bro and everything works right...problem is recon3d usb is discontinued, so the next best thing would be the creative x7 but to pricey. Also, you dont really need amping with the x1 or x2, used it without an amp and sound great

Oct 18, 2014 at 12:43 PM Post #3,153 of 4,136
I had the x1 paired with my creative labs recon3d and it paired really well. The good thing about the recon3d usb is that i can use it with a ps3 or ps4 and also with my PC. Mic is a vmoda boom bro and everything works right...problem is recon3d usb is discontinued, so the next best thing would be the creative x7 but to pricey. Also, you dont really need amping with the x1 or x2, used it without an amp and sound great

I don't understand how everything hooks up to your console. I wish I could see pictures. What about Xbox? What are the differences between that and a card you plug into a PCI slot? What about a DAC?

Oct 18, 2014 at 12:50 PM Post #3,154 of 4,136
The recon3d connects to a console via optical while the usb is for chat capabilities. The recon3d is also compatible with the xbox...if you need pictures or more info.....google is your friend lol. Im on my phone right now...if i was near my computer i would post more links.

Plus differences...mmm im also not an expert between comparisons on pci cards and usb...someone else might need to answer that

Oct 18, 2014 at 12:58 PM Post #3,155 of 4,136
The recon3d connects to a console via optical while the usb is for chat capabilities. The recon3d is also compatible with the xbox...if you need pictures or more info.....google is your friend lol. Im on my phone right now...if i was near my computer i would post more links.

Plus differences...mmm im also not an expert between comparisons on pci cards and usb...someone else might need to answer that

Well you've been extremely helpful. I was looking at the x7 though... As expensive as it is I wonder if it might just do everything I want it to and do it well. But I don't even know exactly what I do and don't need yet so I wouldn't want to foolishly drop cash on that.

Reading some reviews though I don't think the Recon is for me.

EDIT: After a break followed by some further reading and you're few simple explanations and pieces of advice I believe a lot of things fell together for me.

I think I'll go with the X2 a good sound card for my PC and a mixamp for console. As far as I can tell a good sound card will be an ideal DAC/Amp for my PC so I can listen to music or use Dolby for games. And the mixamp will be best for consoles. Does it work for PS4?

Oct 18, 2014 at 3:57 PM Post #3,156 of 4,136
Well you've been extremely helpful. I was looking at the x7 though... As expensive as it is I wonder if it might just do everything I want it to and do it well. But I don't even know exactly what I do and don't need yet so I wouldn't want to foolishly drop cash on that.

Reading some reviews though I don't think the Recon is for me.

EDIT: After a break followed by some further reading and you're few simple explanations and pieces of advice I believe a lot of things fell together for me.

I think I'll go with the X2 a good sound card for my PC and a mixamp for console. As far as I can tell a good sound card will be an ideal DAC/Amp for my PC so I can listen to music or use Dolby for games. And the mixamp will be best for consoles. Does it work for PS4?

Well, I think for now, getting a soundcard for your PC and a mixamp for consoles, may be the better choice. The only reason I got the recon3d is because it was cheaper and I can use it for both PC and console. Plus alot of people prefer THX Surround sound or SBX for gaming compared to dolby headphone. X7 might be the jack of all trades......at least for now until new technology comes along and replaces it....especially since Dolby Headphone X or DTS Headphone X (cant remember which one is its true name) has been out for a few weeks and some people are liking it, although its new tech and we wont see it mature anytime soon....maybe in about 2 years, that tech would have been improved alot.

if you are planning to get a soundcard for your PC, alot of peeps are recommending the creative labs Z, which is said to be on par with a modi's sound quality. Im thinking of buying one for my PC as well and keep the recon3d for my ps3/ps4. I will also be purchasing the X2, since i sold my x1 2 weeks ago....but Ill probobly buy either a Q701 or K712 for gaming....currently using sennheiser PC350 Special Editions for now. Might start using my MA900 since i have not touch them for like 7 months lol.

Oct 22, 2014 at 10:32 PM Post #3,157 of 4,136
I just got my Sound Blaster Z today and have been putting it through its paces in Bioshock 2. Before the SBZ I was getting my surround kicks via Razer Surround feeding an Aune T1>FiiO E9>AKG Q701. The surround effect was much better than I expected, although it sounded a little closed in as far as positional accuracy was concerned. Once I got my SBZ hooked up going through the same path; Aune T1>FiiO E9>AKG Q701. I found that 100% SBX Prostudio sounded the most spacious and accurate, but all in all it was about on par with Razer Surround. Neither one, in terms of positional accuracy and surround since they're both using the same DAC/amp chain as output, sounded better than the other. I was disappointed that the performance of the SBZ, which paid money for, wasn't any better than the my free software based Razer Surround.

Then I decided to go crazy. Now my chain is Razer Surround>Sound Blaster Z>Aune T1>FiiO E9>AKG Q701. We've all heard about double amping, but what about double DSPing? Sound stage is HUGE now and positional cues are way more accurate. I have a day off tomorrow so I'll keep playing with it to see if there are any glitches or crashes, but initial impressions are incredible.

Oct 22, 2014 at 11:30 PM Post #3,159 of 4,136
I don't like the Aune's amp. It's sounds weak and lacks dynamics especially with the Q701. Running the T1 into a cMoy sounds better than its internal amp.

Oct 23, 2014 at 1:22 AM Post #3,161 of 4,136
First.

Nov 5, 2014 at 9:34 AM Post #3,162 of 4,136
I've been running SB Z + Beyer MMX-300 combo for the last year or so and it has served me well. However, I recently bought Fostex TH-600 headphones and have a Violectric V200 amp coming my way; I'm about to pull the trigger on Titanium HD, as I figure a), HD's DAC is better than Z's and b), I would rather not double-amp the signal as I would be doing if I plugged the Violectric to the Z's headphone out.

Is my logic sound? This setup will be used for 90% for gaming, 10% for general tomfoolery. 

I also have an unused Titanium non-hd NIB somewhere, looking to sell that one and the Z if I go for the HD.

Cheerios.

Edit: i went ahead and ordered the TiHD; I believe it's a future classic that won't be available in stores much longer, plus I have never been completely convinced by SBX's take on headphone surround. :)

Nov 5, 2014 at 4:45 PM Post #3,163 of 4,136
Hi, i just bought sony mdr 1rnc and using it with pc onboard 2 days. Sound performance is amazing even without amp or soundcard.

i bought it for gaming and movies, which totally fits.

i ordered a surround dolby souncard, it ll be full performance.

but its kinda heavy and cable length is really short.

Nov 9, 2014 at 6:58 PM Post #3,164 of 4,136
Thanks for this thread about Core3D because Dolby headphone reverberation sounds crap with games, tested DH1 on Creative HQ2300D and DH1/2/3 on MARANTZ SR5500.

I got my Recon3D USB (also as standalone for DD5.1 (optical input) surround decoder for PS3 etc.) and my verdict is: Core3D THX truStudio Pro/SBX Pro Studio is the best for Virtual Surround Gaming.
My test/soundgear: Musical Fidelity X-CAN V3 hybrid mosfet tube headamp (modded powersupply/caps/directline solder/tube rolling) with perfect synergy to SONY SA5000 (modded repaired with pair sa3000 drivers/vinyl piece to closed back/inside dampening).

You were asking because you know DH doesn't sound right with games i.e. when the game figure's walking in the grass/grind/openfield and you hear footsteps with DH reverberations is just NOT Live like or game intended, its colored with DH roomsized reverberations.
DH is only good/designed for DD movies, it can be good if there was an option to just disable the reveberations.

What we need is just the simulation of 5.1/7.1 speakers setup into the headphone with adjustable/variable on/off effects. And the Core3D can deliver it.

I test it with Wolfenstein 2009 set game audio option to 7.1 and Windows audio device speakers config to 7.1 surround.
Because above and without enabling THX surround Core3D 'll standard simulate/convert game 7.1 as "source direct/bypass" without additional reverberations/effects etc. into Virtual 7.1 HRTF headphone. not true it's just stereo but since SA5000/X-CAN sounded so good it almost seems like surround but the front/back cue was missing, so I use now THX surround at 60% to have 7.1 surround.

If desired there many sound (overprocessed) tweaks possible.
---
As I prefer natural Live-like sounding and as intended, I play Wolfenstein without any THX effects and it sounds perfect!
Ofcource the distinctive simulation of distance from the Front and the Back sounds is not as distinguish as from real 7.1 speakers, but close and satisfying.

Headphone surround sounds much better/louder/more details/more immersive like you were inside the game and without disturbing noises from neighbors/outside is just perfect!

My search for the Best Virtual Surround Headphones is Completed!

Nov 9, 2014 at 10:21 PM Post #3,165 of 4,136
Thanks for this thread about Core3D because Dolby headphone reverberation sounds crap with games, tested DH1 on Creative HQ2600 and DH1/2/3 on MARANTZ SR5500.

I got my Recon3D USB (also as standalone for DD5.1 (optical input) surround decoder for PS3 etc.) and my verdict is: Core3D THX truStudio Pro/SBX Pro Studio is the best for Virtual Surround Gaming.
My test/soundgear: Musical Fidelity X-CAN V3 hybrid mosfet tube headamp (modded powersupply/caps/directline solder/tube rolling) with perfect synergy to SONY SA5000 (modded repaired with pair sa3000 drivers/vinyl piece to closed back/inside dampening).

You were asking because you know DH doesn't sound right with games i.e. when the game figure's walking in the grass/grind/openfield and you hear footsteps with DH reverberations is just NOT Live like or game intended, its colored with DH roomsized reverberations.
DH is only good/designed for DD movies, it can be good if there was an option to just disable the reveberations.

What we need is just the simulation of 5.1/7.1 speakers setup into the headphone with adjustable/variable on/off effects. And the Core3D can deliver it.

I test it with Wolfenstein 2009 set game audio option to 7.1 and Windows audio device speakers config to 7.1 surround.
Because above and without enabling THX surround Core3D 'll standard simulate/convert game 7.1 as "source direct/bypass" without additional reverberations/effects etc. into Virtual 7.1 HRTF headphone.

If desired there many sound (overproccesed) tweaks possible.
---
As I prefer natural Live-like sounding and as intended, I play Wolfenstein without any THX effects and it sounds perfect!
Ofcource the distinctive simulation of distance from the Front and the Back sounds is not as distinguish as from real 7.1 speakers, but close and satisfying.

Headphone surround sounds much better/louder/more details/more immersive like you were inside the game and without disturbing noises from neighbors/outside is just perfect!

My search for the Best Virtual Surround Headphones is Completed!
Did you try Razer Surround?

Frankly the Recon seems absurdly overpriced. Why not buy a quality $200 DAC/Amp and free surround?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back