The Nameless Guide To PC Gaming Audio (with binaural headphone surround sound)
Jun 13, 2014 at 6:16 PM Post #2,971 of 4,136
@NamelessPFG
 : Is that indeed you playing multiplayer Star Citizen??

I have yet to play Arena Commander MULTIPLAYER, but I did stream it on Twitch shortly after it was released and they pushed through the maps. That predates the multiplayer update they just pushed out.

You didn't see any people impersonating me-or, worse, hijacking my accounts-out there, did you?

Jun 13, 2014 at 6:45 PM Post #2,972 of 4,136
@NamelessPFG .. 

I saw a MP vid on Youtube yesterday where another player was called 'Nameless' (it was from a streamed vid with Nyaandere, the Romantics guy and others). I wrongly connected the dots as I'd seen a couple of your posts (same name) on the RSI forums; I thought that it could've been you, but it wasn't. And yeah.. hijacking accounts is scary. I've got a tortuous login/pass to type in everytime.

This game will be huge (he says, after pledging a 315p and a Constellation) :)

Nameless: One day I will blow you up!

SaL

*Edit* - I'll lob in a few pics of the Constellation if you don't mind for a bit of PR. You can walk around inside all the available ships - and fight/fly in them at the same time in a huge sandbox MMO. Release in late 2015 or 2016 so....

Jun 13, 2014 at 10:04 PM Post #2,973 of 4,136
Oh, okay. Note that there's another "Nameless" in the Star Citizen community, no relation; that's why I append random letters to distinguish myself from all the other Namelesses on the Internet. There are a surprising amount, trust me.

Most of my posts in the forums are in the Hardware section; I rarely venture outside there.

I should note, I built my new computer last year in anticipation of Arena Commander's release more than anything!

My Super Hornet and Constellation will be waiting for you out there in the 'verse!

Jun 14, 2014 at 1:51 AM Post #2,974 of 4,136
Yeah Nameless.. only saw you there when I was investigating controllers in that subforum. CH or x55?? I think I'll go the former myself.

I flatly refuse to say the "'Verse" btw - I hate that term. Anybody says that and they will become cold dead floating and badly butchered meat in the cruel vacuum of space. Not a pretty sight - no way. Anyways... back on topic.. what do you think of the sounds in AC Nameless?
smile.gif

(SaL_Berman is my RSI name: remember it well.........)

PR again. If there's enough of you (like a lot) you could potentially* be flying this at >1km long and completely modelled and functional on the inside:

* Highly unlikely unless you're in a large organisation with lots of luck.

Jun 14, 2014 at 7:31 AM Post #2,975 of 4,136
Well, guess that means you're about to horribly, grisly murder, oh, I don't know, a whopping 90% minimum of the Star Citizen community on the use of that one term. "PU" for "Persistent Universe" makes for a horrible-sounding initialism.

Between CH and Saitek? CH every time, if you can afford both. Like I keep saying, it's not too uncommon to find Fighterstick/Pro Throttle/Pro Pedals setups for well under $200 shipped, if you don't mind buying used. I even saw a set sell for about $125 on SimHQ B/S/T once!

And yeah, I'll eat my hat if anyone gets to own a Bengal carrier like that! I don't think they even sell those as funding pledge incentives like they do the Idris frigates, and those already cost upwards of $1,000 a pop if you even have the CHANCE to buy one! But hey, a fully operational carrier that you can walk around inside all FPS-style? That's more or less what I've wanted for years right there.

Only thing is, I plan on making my virtual living as a privateer/freelancer, not a military/organizational grunt. That and huge carriers generally don't mix, but on the other hand, having a ship that could actually carry my F7C-M Super Hornet around beyond what its short range allows would be nice.

One of the ships I really want actually has yet to be designed beyond a short description: the Anvil Carrack military exploration vessel, unlocked in a stretch goal a while back. While deep-space exploration is what I intend to use the Constellation for, I have a feeling that the Carrack might be better-designed to survive the all-too-likely chance of jumping smack into a Vanduul base or something.

Jun 14, 2014 at 6:48 PM Post #2,976 of 4,136
The "PU" lol... ok.. that's just as bad. I get your point
smile.gif

CH Products - thanks for sealing the deal on that for me. Shame there's no twist to the stick, but I guess that full analogue mini-stick on the throttle could be bound to that with a modifier. I'd also hope to use it as a POV or for 6DOF strafing with further modifiers if at all possible. Shame that there are none available in the UK... even with Ebay UK I'd be lucky. Importing from the US looks like the way to go. Sigh.

A lonewolf eh! I'm in a medium org (80 members) and they have no plans to expand beyond that.. these huge orgs look like you'd be just a number. And yes.. the Carrack looks wonderful. I'd happily get one whenever they get released to us. 

See you in the Universe...

*Edit*: Your comments on controllers (on RSI) are excellent btw.

Jun 15, 2014 at 12:04 AM Post #2,977 of 4,136
Hi guys! I have a question, How does the xonar u7 compare with the sb omni? I currently have the omni but I have been interested in the u7 for a while now and I just wanted to do more research before buying one. Thanks!

Jun 15, 2014 at 7:52 PM Post #2,978 of 4,136
Keep your omni you have something very good, If you use virtual headphone then you have SBX which actually works. Where the U7 shares the same software suite as the phoebus and Diamond XSHD71 and has Xear3D surround max which doesn't even work at all, It might as well not be listed in the panel and then Dolby Home theater v4.   It be a waste of money going to a U7 from a omni any way and you might kick your self along the way after you do it. I tried every thing to get Xear3D surround max to work when I had that diamond card, it was like the function wasn't finished.

Jun 15, 2014 at 8:07 PM Post #2,979 of 4,136
Somebody have a list of games that support OpenAL, DirectSound3D, or the Miles Sound System? I'll be getting a X-FI Titanium HD soon and would like to take advantage of it.

Jun 15, 2014 at 8:15 PM Post #2,980 of 4,136
Miles sound system games are usually easy to spot when you see the dll for it in the game folder.Same for Direct sound 3D especially if your using surround as those games will output in 2 channel til you use alchemy.Openal games usully have either openAl.dll or FmodEX which uses OpenAl. Trying to list them all will take forever. Oh yea and alot of games are using that nasty Xaudio2 mess too.

Jun 15, 2014 at 8:24 PM Post #2,981 of 4,136
  Miles sound system games are usually easy to spot when you see the dll for it in the game folder.Same for Direct sound 3D especially if your using surround as those games will output in 2 channel til you use alchemy.Openal games usully have either openAl.dll or FmodEX which uses OpenAl. Trying to list them all will take forever. Oh yea and alot of games are using that nasty Xaudio2 mess too.

:frowning2: There needs to be a list. I want to experience 3d audio! Guess I'll just have to play games that are worth playing and hope they do. What's Xaudio2?

Jun 15, 2014 at 8:38 PM Post #2,982 of 4,136
Keep your omni you have something very good, If you use virtual headphone then you have SBX which actually works. Where the U7 shares the same software suite as the phoebus and Diamond XSHD71 and has Xear3D surround max which doesn't even work at all, It might as well not be listed in the panel and then Dolby Home theater v4.   It be a waste of money going to a U7 from a omni any way and you might kick your self along the way after you do it. I tried every thing to get Xear3D surround max to work when I had that diamond card, it was like the function wasn't finished.

thank you for the advice sir! I've only been using the omni with my fidelio x1 most of the time, and my beats pro once in a while

Jun 16, 2014 at 5:12 AM Post #2,983 of 4,136
I have a discount card in a store I want to use. The 2 headphones I got to choose from is:

Philips X1
Sennheiser G4me one

Wich one would you recommend for pc gaming? I already have a mic so dont care about mic. Sound only.
And is G4me One strictly for gaming or can you use it for music too? I already have a pair of Sennheiser RS180 so they might be to similar?

Jun 16, 2014 at 1:34 PM Post #2,984 of 4,136
How do people feel about the HE-500 for gaming? I was also looking at the AKG K712 Pro and the Alpha Dogs.

Jun 16, 2014 at 2:27 PM Post #2,985 of 4,136
I have a suggestion...could some of the settings for the STX and Creative Z series of cards be added into the first post?

I can bet that that is something many readers are after...myself included :D

As such I'll be using either an AKG k612 pro or Q701 with a Z series card with an external amp (Magni seems like the front runner at present) for 99% gaming.

From this thread I've learned that I can output from the headphone jack to the Magni amp with 3.55mm jack to RCA splitter while retaining the surround sound processing as well as not experiencing any distortion due to double amping.

From a settings perspective I'm still a bit confused on what needs to be set where to what and which games require config tweaks to get the best surround cues.

But I'm slowly reading all the pages. 60/199 done so far :D

Thanks to the OP for this thread! So guys please share some settings :)

Sent from my Nexus 7 using Tapatalk

Users who are viewing this thread

Back