The Nameless Guide To PC Gaming Audio (with binaural headphone surround sound)
Jun 10, 2014 at 12:12 PM Post #2,956 of 4,136

I have a gift certificate from work in a special store. But they dont seem to have so many highend headphones. Im gonna list some of them and maybe you or someone has heard any of them and can comment.
* Top AKG is K618 and 619
* Beyer T50P and T70P
* Sony MDR1RB and MDR1RNC
* Philips X1 and A5PRO
And the usual bose, beats etc

To me nothing seem really interesting. Maybe the Beyer T70P but from what I see the T70 is for home use and T70p for mobile use?

Do they have the K612 Pro? The K618 and K619 look like DJ headphones. The X1 are always a safe choice if you don't mind the slightly bassy sound signature. I don't know enough about the rest of them to make a comment. The T70P might be worth looking into though if you wanted to go that high. 

Jun 10, 2014 at 2:48 PM Post #2,957 of 4,136
Bought a Sound blaster Z. Can someone help me with the settings?
I cant get the SBX pro studio over the toslink to my dac. Only normal sound. Is it even possible or did a mess up buying a Sound blaster Z?
Appreciate help!

Jun 11, 2014 at 6:06 AM Post #2,958 of 4,136

Do they have the K612 Pro? The K618 and K619 look like DJ headphones. The X1 are always a safe choice if you don't mind the slightly bassy sound signature. I don't know enough about the rest of them to make a comment. The T70P might be worth looking into though if you wanted to go that high. 

They dont have the K612. I read the review from madlust of the x1, and they seem pretty interesting, guess I only got X1 and T70p to choose from if i buy form that store.

Jun 11, 2014 at 9:16 AM Post #2,959 of 4,136
Currently using:
Creative X-Fi Titanium (non-hd), no emi shield
Fidelio X1

When using the V-MODA BoomPro Mic cable or just a standard aux cable, I get a lot of outside noise (probably from my video cards). The strange part is I only get this when it's in game mode, When I'm in entertainment mode, it seems to go away. This also happened when I had a TiHD.

Would an amp such as a Fiio E09K solve this?

I've had the ZXR before and there was no issues so I guess that EMI shield helped. But I want to keep CMSS-3D.

Jun 11, 2014 at 10:17 AM Post #2,960 of 4,136
  Currently using:
Creative X-Fi Titanium (non-hd), no emi shield
Fidelio X1

When using the V-MODA BoomPro Mic cable or just a standard aux cable, I get a lot of outside noise (probably from my video cards). The strange part is I only get this when it's in game mode, When I'm in entertainment mode, it seems to go away. This also happened when I had a TiHD.

Would an amp such as a Fiio E09K solve this?

I've had the ZXR before and there was no issues so I guess that EMI shield helped. But I want to keep CMSS-3D.

What outside noise? Like stuff around you or hissing/interference? If it's noise around you, you'll have to check off one of the options for playing back what you're saying as the mic is probably picking it up.

If it's interference, are you able to move your card? You could also try a Recon3D USB. It has CMSS-3D and is external. That might solve the problem as well. 

Jun 11, 2014 at 10:23 AM Post #2,961 of 4,136
  What outside noise? Like stuff around you or hissing/interference? If it's noise around you, you'll have to check off one of the options for playing back what you're saying as the mic is probably picking it up.

If it's interference, are you able to move your card? You could also try a Recon3D USB. It has CMSS-3D and is external. That might solve the problem as well. 

It's hissing/interference.

Unfortunately I'm unable to move my card. I'll take a peek at the Recon3D USB. Thanks!

Jun 11, 2014 at 2:15 PM Post #2,965 of 4,136
  Bought a Sound blaster Z. Can someone help me with the settings?
I cant get the SBX pro studio over the toslink to my dac. Only normal sound. Is it even possible or did a mess up buying a Sound blaster Z?
Appreciate help!

Follow these steps, every one of them.

1) Windows > Sound panel > SBZ Speakers > Set Default
2) Configure SBZ Speakers > Select 5.1 > do not select Full range > Next and apply
3) SBZ Control Panel > Advanced Features > Tick Play stereo mix to digital output
4) Enable SBX Surround > Adjust slider level to your preference
5) Make sure your input settings on your external DAC is correct.

DO NOT select SBZ Digital Out as your default, you will get audio but you will not get any of the DSP enhancements from the card.

If watching movies, make sure your movies already has multi-channel audio. If playing games, make sure you set the audio to 5.1 in-game if the game hasn't already selected it for you.

Jun 12, 2014 at 10:46 AM Post #2,966 of 4,136

Follow these steps, every one of them.

1) Windows > Sound panel > SBZ Speakers > Set Default
2) Configure SBZ Speakers > Select 5.1 > do not select Full range > Next and apply
3) SBZ Control Panel > Advanced Features > Tick Play stereo mix to digital output
4) Enable SBX Surround > Adjust slider level to your preference
5) Make sure your input settings on your external DAC is correct.

DO NOT select SBZ Digital Out as your default, you will get audio but you will not get any of the DSP enhancements from the card.

If watching movies, make sure your movies already has multi-channel audio. If playing games, make sure you set the audio to 5.1 in-game if the game hasn't already selected it for you.

In sound blaster pro studio do I select headphones, stereo or 5.1 surround?

Jun 12, 2014 at 6:30 PM Post #2,967 of 4,136
  In sound blaster pro studio do I select headphones, stereo or 5.1 surround?

They'll already be in 5.1 if you selected it in Windows, so don't go and mess with it. The CP is finnicky and switching it to headphones back and forth will bork things. Has been happening ever since the X-Fi days.

Like I said, follow the steps and don't mess with anything else if you don't know what you're doing. You'll get SBX the way it should be.

Jun 13, 2014 at 3:27 AM Post #2,968 of 4,136
  It's hissing/interference.

Unfortunately I'm unable to move my card. I'll take a peek at the Recon3D USB. Thanks!

If you want CMSS-3D over USB then try tracking down an old/used X-Fi Surround 5.1 (non-Pro, model:SB1090).  It only has Entertainment mode though, no Game or Audio Creation modes.  Alternatively, have you tried gaming in Entertainment mode on your X-Fi Ti? 

Jun 13, 2014 at 5:00 AM Post #2,969 of 4,136

If you want CMSS-3D over USB then try tracking down an old/used X-Fi Surround 5.1 (non-Pro, model:SB1090).  It only has Entertainment mode though, no Game or Audio Creation modes.  Alternatively, have you tried gaming in Entertainment mode on your X-Fi Ti? 

Yeah I've been looking at those. At the moment I have been gaming in entertainment mode on the Titanium. It's not too bad.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back