The Nameless Guide To PC Gaming Audio (with binaural headphone surround sound)
Feb 15, 2014 at 4:00 PM Post #2,641 of 4,136
I just got and installed a Xonar DGX to use with my Fidelio X1s today, and I'm wondering what the best options are for Dolby Headphone? I currently have the Unified Drivers Installed.

I want stereo sound to be unaffected (so music etc sounds normal, not 5.1) but gaming etc to be in 5.1. I'm use to the mixamp etc but when it comes to PC sound got no clue.

My current set up is:

I tick Dolby Headphone when gaming, and untick for normal use (music etc) is this the best set up? Or is there a better way to do it? Currently using DH-2 aswell.

Any help is appreciated, cheers.

Feb 15, 2014 at 6:22 PM Post #2,642 of 4,136
Ι had the dgx and the surround sound was not so good you can check my posts at 173-175 or back i do not remeber ...Now i am currently using a Sound Blaster Card and the surround is awesome and the positioning audio when playing BF4 got to the next level compared to DGX Dolby .....

Feb 15, 2014 at 6:23 PM Post #2,643 of 4,136
  I just got and installed a Xonar DGX to use with my Fidelio X1s today, and I'm wondering what the best options are for Dolby Headphone? I currently have the Unified Drivers Installed.

I want stereo sound to be unaffected (so music etc sounds normal, not 5.1) but gaming etc to be in 5.1. I'm use to the mixamp etc but when it comes to PC sound got no clue.

My current set up is:

I tick Dolby Headphone when gaming, and untick for normal use (music etc) is this the best set up? Or is there a better way to do it? Currently using DH-2 aswell.

On my Xonar U1 I use 8 channels (7.1) and DH2. That is what the gaming preset uses. BTW, what is the advantage of the unified driver? Or daoes the DGX come without Dolby options?

Feb 15, 2014 at 7:55 PM Post #2,644 of 4,136

On my Xonar U1 I use 8 channels (7.1) and DH2. That is what the gaming preset uses. BTW, what is the advantage of the unified driver? Or daoes the DGX come without Dolby options?

Not sure of any advantage, think it sets the correct settings from the get go and gives you to option of less RAM usage etc? I just saw it mentioned quite a lot so figured I'd give them a go.

Feb 16, 2014 at 2:06 AM Post #2,646 of 4,136

I use 48khz and dolby headphone all the time in the control panel. Use ASIO in your music software to disable all digital processing by the xonar driver rather than constantly switching back and forth.

Feb 17, 2014 at 9:47 PM Post #2,647 of 4,136
I'm building a small form factor gaming PC and there won't be any room for a sound card. What would you guys recommend for an external DAC / amp setup to drive my K702 Annies for gaming (e.g., Battlefield)?

Feb 18, 2014 at 4:43 AM Post #2,648 of 4,136
Quote:
  I'm building a small form factor gaming PC and there won't be any room for a sound card. What would you guys recommend for an external DAC / amp setup to drive my K702 Annies for gaming (e.g., Battlefield)?

Xonar U7 (Dolby Headphone) or X-Fi HD/X-Fi Surround (SBX Pro Studio) + Objective2/Schiit Magni

Use the line out on the usb sound card.

Feb 18, 2014 at 10:14 AM Post #2,649 of 4,136
Can't listen to this at work so you guys go first:

http://www.newaudiotechnology.de/produkte/sage-spatial-audio-game-engine/

SAGE – Spatial Audio Game Engine with Doom 3 Demo. 

They also have an application like Razer's Surround, just for 169€ more.

http://www.newaudiotechnology.de/produkte/spatial-sound-card/

Feb 18, 2014 at 10:20 AM Post #2,650 of 4,136
  Can't listen to this at work so you guys go first:

http://www.newaudiotechnology.de/produkte/sage-spatial-audio-game-engine/

SAGE – Spatial Audio Game Engine with Doom 3 Demo. 

They also have an application like Razer's Surround, just for 169€ more.

http://www.newaudiotechnology.de/produkte/spatial-sound-card/

I'm going to have to try this. They also have a virtual sound card too.

Feb 18, 2014 at 10:53 AM Post #2,651 of 4,136
I don't have Doom 3 anymore. Can you record a bit? I know the samples of Doom are outdated (like Bioshock) but still, could be interesting for us. 

Feb 18, 2014 at 12:27 PM Post #2,652 of 4,136
  Xonar U7 (Dolby Headphone) or X-Fi HD/X-Fi Surround (SBX Pro Studio) + Objective2/Schiit Magni

Use the line out on the usb sound card.

Thanks!

Feb 18, 2014 at 1:47 PM Post #2,653 of 4,136
Hi Guys, do you have any experience or comparison between Superlux 668B and Superlux HD330 for PC gaming? I wanted to know which is better sounding for positional audio and better soundstage for FPS (BF3/BF4). At the moment, i can't decide which to buy for the same price point.

Feb 18, 2014 at 2:17 PM Post #2,654 of 4,136
Depends on your setup. 668B is easier to drive at 56ohms. HD330 is 300ohms so you'll need either a soundcard with a decent amp or a stand alone amp. I would probably lean toward the 668B due to it's brighter/neutral sound signature for positional accuracy.

Feb 18, 2014 at 2:35 PM Post #2,655 of 4,136
Depends on your setup. 668B is easier to drive at 56ohms. HD330 is 300ohms so you'll need either a soundcard with a decent amp or a stand alone amp. I would probably lean toward the 668B due to it's brighter/neutral sound signature for positional accuracy.

Thanks for the tip. I've also read about the highs on 668Bs is not so pleasant in longer plays compared to HD330s? But this is fixable in EQ... Anyway, i think the real issue would be the impedance difference on both.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back