The Nameless Guide To PC Gaming Audio (with binaural headphone surround sound)
Feb 6, 2014 at 2:34 PM Post #2,611 of 4,136
Battlefield has some complicated sound settings.
I thought that, in BF3, you had to chose Home Theater mode (and set windows for 5.1/7.1) so that the soundcard has multiple channels to create directionality, otherwise you're basically performing the same thing as faking surround, guessed from 2 channels. Pretty sure (in BF3) that Hi-Fi mode is just for 2 full-range speakers (2.0 stereo), DH and SBX need the extra channels to properly distinguish between front and back accurately.

For BF4, I believe these settings aren't that important. I think headphone is just a bass boost, and home cinema has an LFE crossover, while HiFi is just normal sound.

The speaker configuration setting is more important, as the game outputs 5.1 if you select surround, but 2.0 if you select stereo.

Feb 6, 2014 at 10:17 PM Post #2,612 of 4,136
So in conclusion because this will help a lot of people . 

First I have to set bf4 to hifi mode and surround sound ?

And second 5.1 surround sound in windows and headphones 64ohm in asus program  and 6Channel .

Then enable dolby headphone and try what DH is better while playing ?

Correct me if i am wrong ?

Feb 6, 2014 at 10:55 PM Post #2,613 of 4,136
Well, I guess the key things are making sure surround is selected in BF4, making sure 6 channel is selected in the asus control panel, and making sure dolby headphone is also selected in the asus control panel.

Speaker type (headphone vs home cinema vs hifi) and Dolby headphone settings (dh1 vs dh2 vs dh3) are preference, but I use HiFi and DH1.

The BF4 speaker configuration (stereo vs surround) controls whether bf4 outputs 2.0 or 5.1. The audio channel in the asus control panel controls the windows mixer, and needs to be set to 6 to allow 5.1 audio from the game to go through Windows and reach the hardware without getting downmixed. Dolby headphone is needed to create a binaural mix from the 5.1.

Feb 8, 2014 at 6:43 PM Post #2,614 of 4,136
Does anyone know why, in Windows 8, if you change your default audio playback device in the middle of an audio stream, that stream often stays with the "old" device and doesn't switch over to playing on your new default playback device? 

For example, I've got a audio stream from Firefox playing on my SB Z, then I set my FiiO E10 to the default playback device but the audio stream continues to play on the SB Z instead of instantly switching over to my E10.  I'm pretty sure windows 7 instantly switched the streams over.

What's up with that?

Feb 10, 2014 at 9:48 AM Post #2,615 of 4,136
Greetings!

Thanks a lot for the awesome guide!

I'm new here (first message :p) and just purchased a pair of Q701s....
Coming from the Razer Charcharias and Platronics Gamecom 780, I decided it's time to finally upgrade my audio experience :)

I haven't received the Q701s yet, though I would like to be ready for them when they arrive 
tongue_smile.gif

I am still rather confused and unsure of what I should do / get now...I haven't really paid too much attention to superb audio till now...

Been using gaming headsets for quite a few years...most of them USB driven I think...Which took away the use for a good sound card...Or so I thought..

All I have at the moment is an onboard sound card that came with my motherboard (Asus P8Z77-V DELUXE...ALC898 audio codec I presume?)...I have no idea how good it is and if I should replace it...Any recommendation for a nice Sound card in that case? Should I actually go down that route? Or get an external DAC?

I'm going to be using them for gaming, movies, music , video editing, animation, lip syncing, voice chat and so on :/
EDIT: Forgot to say that surround sound is quite important to me...Got addicted to the virtual 7.1 the Gamecom 780 gave me..haha :p)

The whole question of DAC vs Sound Card + Amp is really confusing to me at the moment and I'm not sure how to tackle this :p

I understood that I SHOULD get an amp for these headphones, but what exactly should I get? Same problem as with the sound card, haha ^^

Could someone please give me a hand? :) 
I'm not entirely sure where I'm standing and what is actually necessary for me to get ^^

Thanks ahead in advance! :D 
beerchug.gif

* (here's a link to the motherboard I have atm, I'm assuming the onboard sound card is not stellar? http://www.asus.com/Motherboards/P8Z77V_DELUXE/#specifications
blink.gif
)

Feb 11, 2014 at 12:50 PM Post #2,616 of 4,136
Could someone please give me a hand? :) 
I'm not entirely sure where I'm standing and what is actually necessary for me to get ^^

Pick one of the entry level sound cards (Xonar DG/DGX, Creative Titanium, or Sound Blaster Z) and add a desktop amp to the chain and see how you like it. For the Q701, you would probably be looking at something like an E09K or Magni. 

Feb 11, 2014 at 1:24 PM Post #2,617 of 4,136
Pick one of the entry level sound cards (Xonar DG/DGX, Creative Titanium, or Sound Blaster Z) and add a desktop amp to the chain and see how you like it. For the Q701, you would probably be looking at something like an E09K or Magni. 

@Murder Mike - Heya! Thanks for the reply! Sounds like a great plan to me :D

Which card do you think will be the best for the job for now? I had my eye on the xonar essence stx and the titanium hd... Do you, perhaps, have any specific recommendation for me? :)

Heard good things on both, a bit more on the stx I think....A good sound card should be be good DAC, right?

Thanks ahead! :D

Feb 11, 2014 at 1:49 PM Post #2,618 of 4,136
Just wondering...

Currently my setup is as follows :
X-Fi Surround 5.1 - What U Hear >> NFB 12​

Is there benefit to change it to :
X-Fi Surround 5.1 - Optical >> NFB 12​

I know the NFB12 can handle 24/192 via optical but the output of the X-Fi is 24/96 so I don't think I'll "benefit" from it. I ask because I don't have an optical cable handy and would rather save the $10 if it's not needed. I have enough cords as it is. Thanks. :)

Feb 11, 2014 at 2:24 PM Post #2,619 of 4,136
Which card do you think will be the best for the job for now? Do you, perhaps, have any specific recommendation for me?
smily_headphones1.gif

Honestly, head over to MLE's thread and listen to the youtube videos in the OP and see what kind of surround sound you prefer. You don't need an STX or Titanium HD at all. The DAC will be slightly better in those, but it's not worth the extra money. You can get a cheap card and run the sound out of the optical port to a standalone DAC if you wanted to go that route. This offers far greater flexibility in the end. 

Cheap soundcards to choose from:
Xonar DG/DGX (DG is PCI, DGX is PCI-E) - Dolby Headphone
Creative Titanium - CMSS-3D
Sound Blaster Z - SBX Pro Studio 

If you just want something simple, the STX will probably do it, but you can get a cheap soundcard and desktop amp for around the same price.

Feb 11, 2014 at 3:35 PM Post #2,620 of 4,136
  Does anyone know why, in Windows 8, if you change your default audio playback device in the middle of an audio stream, that stream often stays with the "old" device and doesn't switch over to playing on your new default playback device? 

For example, I've got a audio stream from Firefox playing on my SB Z, then I set my FiiO E10 to the default playback device but the audio stream continues to play on the SB Z instead of instantly switching over to my E10.  I'm pretty sure windows 7 instantly switched the streams over.

What's up with that?

I have had the same problem in Windows 7 chico and I don't have a clue as to why this happens. Anybody got any ideas?

Just wondering...

Currently my setup is as follows : X-Fi Surround 5.1 - What U Hear >> NFB 12

Is there benefit to change it to : X-Fi Surround 5.1 - Optical >> NFB 12

The DAC in the NFB 12 will be better than the one on your soundcard. I'd go for it.

Feb 11, 2014 at 6:36 PM Post #2,622 of 4,136
  I have had the same problem in Windows 7 chico and I don't have a clue as to why this happens. Anybody got any ideas?

If you have the same problem in windows 7 it might just be something with Windows having trouble switching the stream from the SB Z's 5.1 channels to other DAC's 2 channel stream.

Feb 11, 2014 at 8:04 PM Post #2,623 of 4,136
  The DAC in the NFB 12 will be better than the one on your soundcard. I'd go for it.

So, let me get this straight. Will he still use the sound card for CMSS or will he have to go to some other surround solution?

I'm interested because I love the CMSS via my X-Fi HD, I have it feeding a JDS Labs O2, going into some AKG K612's...but I'm always looking for more punch in game. Or, am I wasting time seeing as its just a full on gaming machine?

Was that a Highjack?

Hehe

Cheers

Feb 11, 2014 at 9:51 PM Post #2,624 of 4,136
If you want to upgrade he (or you) could get an external DAC and amp (or a combined one) with optical in. An external DAC will almost always be better than a soundcard.

The soundcard would send the surround out to his DAC in a PCM stream optically. The external DAC does all the work and as an added bonus you still get complete control of your soundcard's control panel ie EQ, your surround sound settings exactly as you want them, filters and DSP's etc etc. You'd still be connecting your mic into the soundcard though.. it'd just be configured as any other device. 

No guarantee it will transform your experience, however I've been very happy going that route. Thing is.. your O2 is probably doing a very very good job in conjunction with your own X-Fi. In MrEleventy's case though, I'd score an optical lead asap, as his DAC section on his amp is not being used at all, and will be better than his soundcard 
smile.gif
 !!!!!!!

Feb 12, 2014 at 12:06 AM Post #2,625 of 4,136
Roger that..sounds good.

Cheers

Users who are viewing this thread

Back