The Nameless Guide To PC Gaming Audio (with binaural headphone surround sound)
Feb 5, 2014 at 6:03 PM Post #2,596 of 4,136
Yea, windows  should be 5.1 and if games has a speaker setting it should also be 5.1. Then try out the different Dolby headphone modes and use the one which sound good to you with your headphones.

Feb 5, 2014 at 6:11 PM Post #2,598 of 4,136
When I tried I couldn't tell if it did any thing. So I keep it off.

Feb 5, 2014 at 10:49 PM Post #2,599 of 4,136
First post.  What sound card or amp do i need to get the most out the 32 ohm DT 770s I just bought?  I would say I will use them for 75% gaming and 25% music.  I am definitely looking for the budget option to get the direction/surround while playing games.   Is this Asus Xonar DGX a good bet or should I go with something like the x-fi go!  Thanks for your help

Feb 5, 2014 at 10:52 PM Post #2,600 of 4,136
First post.  What amp or sound card should I get to get the most out of the 32ohm DT 770s I just bought while playing games?  I am looking for a budget option to get the directional/surround sound effect while playing games like BF3 or Skyrim.  Would the x-fi go for $30 be a good choice or maybe the asus xonar dg for $40?  Something else? total newb, thanks for any help.  

Feb 6, 2014 at 4:45 AM Post #2,601 of 4,136
For BF3 (same with BF4) the game has a built in headphones option that works very well, try it before rushing out to buy something (with good cans like yours it should work just fine).

I wouldn't bother with virtual surround on Skyrim because the game has really bad audio quality to start with (when you have decent headphones and a clean soundcard you can instantly notice the badly compressed audio) and processing badly compressed audio doesn't really do much good IMO. The latest Ubisoft games I tried suffered from the same thing (Assassin's Creed, Prince of Persia...) and when I used virtual surround the result was not really pleasant to my ears. Feel free to try it out though, be it Razer or Dolby or something else, I'm just telling you what I experienced. 

Feb 6, 2014 at 9:32 AM Post #2,603 of 4,136
Yes i used dolby headphone with the settings above  for one day. The quiality of the sound doesn't compete razer ,is far superior with all that explosions and the sound was very cleaner . In the other hand the surround is a little different . I had this weird feeling of closed room . The whole game was like playing iν a big room and not like i was in an open battlefield .

Maybe i ask for too much from surround sound i dont know but nothing impresses me. 

Feb 6, 2014 at 9:55 AM Post #2,604 of 4,136
I felt the same way until I found a type of virtual surround that synergized with my ears. I was almost ready to give up on surround, didn't seem to have that much directionality until I tried my Recon3D USB. And, I had to mess with the surround percentage. I'm not saying you need the same device as me, I'm saying I suspect that the differences between ears can make a big difference.

Feb 6, 2014 at 10:19 AM Post #2,605 of 4,136
So how i will find the best for me i have to buy many different cards with surround sound . One with SBX PRO one with CSS3D one with Dobly home theater and One with Dolby headphone to find the best . 

If i cannot do that how i will find the best sound card to buy?

Feb 6, 2014 at 12:31 PM Post #2,606 of 4,136
Well, I have a bunch of YouTube virtual surround demos collected in my "If I knew then..." thread linked in my signature. I don't have EVERY algorithm (and I'd like to record my own for THX TSP), and of course YouTube compression means it'll sound a bit better when heard "live," but still, it's free and easy.

Feb 6, 2014 at 12:51 PM Post #2,607 of 4,136
  For BF3 (same with BF4) the game has a built in headphones option that works very well, try it before rushing out to buy something (with good cans like yours it should work just fine).

i don't have bf3, but the headphone option in bf4 is just a euphemism for a bass boost. It doesn't do anything like dolby headphone and similar software.

For BF4 with a dgx, go to the xonar control panel, set it to audio channel - 6 channels, sample rate - 48khz, analog out - headphone, dolby headphone checked with DH1. Go to windows control panel, audio, right click on the dgx, go to properties, advanced, and select 24 bit, 48 khz for the default format. In the game, select surround and HiFi.

Feb 6, 2014 at 1:34 PM Post #2,608 of 4,136
This isn't rocket science. For BF4 (and BF3) use HiFi on Stereo mode in the settings and let the Dolby Headphone or CMSS-3D (which I prefer) take care of the rest. If you aren't getting good positional accuracy with this, something is wrong.

Feb 6, 2014 at 2:09 PM Post #2,609 of 4,136
Battlefield has some complicated sound settings.
I thought that, in BF3, you had to chose Home Theater mode (and set windows for 5.1/7.1) so that the soundcard has multiple channels to create directionality, otherwise you're basically performing the same thing as faking surround, guessed from 2 channels. Pretty sure (in BF3) that Hi-Fi mode is just for 2 full-range speakers (2.0 stereo), DH and SBX need the extra channels to properly distinguish between front and back accurately.

Feb 6, 2014 at 2:24 PM Post #2,610 of 4,136
  This isn't rocket science. For BF4 (and BF3) use HiFi on Stereo mode in the settings and let the Dolby Headphone or CMSS-3D (which I prefer) take care of the rest. If you aren't getting good positional accuracy with this, something is wrong.

idk if you mistyped, but BF4 has to be set to surround. The key to get great results with dolby headphone and similar technologies is to make sure they receive surround input. So the whole pathway, from game to operating system to hardware, has to have surround sound. So the game has to output surround sound (this is why you select surround in bf4), the OS has to not downmix it (hence why you set the windows mixer to 5.1) and then your sound card can create a proper binaural mix.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back