The Nameless Guide To PC Gaming Audio (with binaural headphone surround sound)
Dec 15, 2013 at 3:39 AM Post #2,206 of 4,136
I thought AMD cards became obsolete for cryptocurrency mining the instant those ASIC things like the Jalapeno showed up, being far more powerful and energy-efficient for that purpose, but otherwise useless paperweights, especially once the difficulty kicks up to where you need a billion of the things to get anywhere.

Oh well, while I'm kicking myself for not having bought a new HD 7970 while they were still dirt cheap prior to the R9 290X debut so I could flip it for a profit, I tend to lean toward NVIDIA cards for gaming anyway, just because of the additional features.

Dec 15, 2013 at 5:09 AM Post #2,207 of 4,136
FWIR, the SteamOS beta appears to be out.

Also, it seems some of Valve's prototype Steam Machines boxes are out in the wild. 

It looks like it's quite literally a PC assembled from off-the-shelf components:

"The prototype machine is a high-end, high-performance box, built out of off-the-shelf PC parts," Valve said to the Steam Universe community group. "It is also fully upgradable, allowing any user to swap out the GPU, hard drive, CPU, even the motherboard if you really want to. Apart from the custom enclosure, anyone can go and build exactly the same machine by shopping for components and assembling it themselves. And we expect that at least a few people will do just that."

So it's basically a pre-built gaming PC in a custom enclosure.

The prototype units do have some pretty powerful specs though:

GPU: some units with NVidia Titan, some GTX780, some GTX760, and some GTX660
CPU: some boxes with Intel : i7-4770, some i5-4570, and some i3
RAM: 16GB DDR3-1600 (CPU), 3GB DDR5 (GPU)
Storage: 1TB/8GB Hybrid SSHD
Power Supply: Internal 450w 80Plus Gold

It should be noted that the above prototype build by Valve is just that - a prototype.  It also probably represents a more upper tier of Steam Machine.  Valve says that most of the buyable Steam Machines are going to be made by the third parties partnering with Valve.

Only 300 of the metal beast above will ship to beta testers, and then Valve says it's cutting off its own supply of Steam Machines. "We're really building this as a test platform, and there are many machines that are gonna be made by third-parties. They're the ones that will be available commercially in 2014," Valve designer Greg Coomer told Engadget.

There should be some more Steam Machines SKUs revealed at CES 2014 (January 7-10):

...Those machines will be revealed at next January's CES, as well as partners and more information (fingers crossed for pricing!). Coomer expects a "good array of options, optimized for different features" in the Steam Machines lineup -- everything from a low-end, inexpensive streaming box to an Intel i7/GeForce Titan GPU-powered supercomputer.

”Really we just wanna have confidence that all the customers on Steam are having enough options, and that the price/performance spectrum is as fleshed out as Steam customers want it to be."

I'm curious as to what the pricing will be for these.  One of the iBuyPower Steam Machine SKUs with more conservative specs (AMD CPU, an R9 270x GPU, and a 500gb HDD) is estimated to go for ~$500.  That configuration is still more powerful than the Xbox One and PS4 in terms of raw specs (although not accounting for advantages consoles have with being able to optimize for a closed platform or use lower level APIs).

Not sure on what the price for a more upper-tier machine would be though, as just the GTX 780 card from that above prototype rig goes for ~$500 by itself.

I know that building your own PC is cheaper than buying a prebuilt PC, so I think it's safe to assume the same will hold true in regards to buying a Steam Machine vs building your own "Steam Machine".

It's interesting stuff though, as it's almost like we're seeing the Pre-Built Gaming PC business rallying behind the banner of Valve in order to do battle with the consoles over the living room gaming space.

popcorn.gif

More reading:
http://steamcommunity.com/groups/steamuniverse#announcements/detail/2145128928746175450
http://steamcommunity.com/groups/steamuniverse#announcements

Dec 15, 2013 at 5:40 AM Post #2,208 of 4,136
I'm much to lazy and clumsy to build a custom pc, so I'd be interested in a steam machine. Something easily upgradeable for diy-adversed people like me.

Dec 15, 2013 at 6:17 AM Post #2,209 of 4,136
I remember hearing about BitCoin mining a lot longer ago than "months and months," in fact long enough ago I don't remember who and in what location I was talking to them about it.

You're absolutely right Evs.  I should have said "years".  Fixed it.

Dec 15, 2013 at 3:30 PM Post #2,210 of 4,136
That Steam Box looks pretty cool chicolom.
I already have a computer connected to the TV that runs Windows 8. The PC is pretty old but runs all games at the 1366x720 of the TV, it has Steam on it and is used for gaming with a wireless XBox controller. I might dual boot it with the Steam OS to check it out.

Dec 15, 2013 at 4:05 PM Post #2,211 of 4,136
I might dual boot it with the Steam OS to check it out.

That's my tentative plan as well.

Dual boot, with a Windows installation for regular computing, and a separate Steam OS installation dedicated to gaming.  If nothing else it should hopefully remove some windows layers with unnecessary services running and what not. 

Dec 15, 2013 at 5:45 PM Post #2,212 of 4,136
I'm much to lazy and clumsy to build a custom pc, so I'd be interested in a steam machine. Something easily upgradeable for diy-adversed people like me.

You could always just ask me if you need someone to build a PC for you. Cover the cost of parts and shipping, and you've got yourself a new machine.

Dec 15, 2013 at 10:06 PM Post #2,214 of 4,136
Quote:

I may be incorrect on this because not all the information is out yet on them, but you could essentially order all the parts from a vendor and have them put it together for you, itès usually $50 and would save you a lot of money.

Dec 16, 2013 at 3:09 AM Post #2,215 of 4,136
Build your own Steam Machine:
http://store.steampowered.com/steamos/buildyourown

Dec 16, 2013 at 5:12 PM Post #2,216 of 4,136
Oh... the things people do to beat the system and cheat their way into money.

I'll remain poor, oblivious, and stick with Nvidia. The 7970m that I had on 3 of my first M17x's were all faulty. First GTX680m worked perfectly.

That probably had more to do with Alienware not having it set up properly than it being an AMD GPU. 

I thought AMD cards became obsolete for cryptocurrency mining the instant those ASIC things like the Jalapeno showed up, being far more powerful and energy-efficient for that purpose, but otherwise useless paperweights, especially once the difficulty kicks up to where you need a billion of the things to get anywhere.

IIRC, the ASICs won't work for altcoins, litecoins, etc. For straight Bitcoins, you're right, ASICs are the only way to make any headway. 

Dec 18, 2013 at 7:05 AM Post #2,218 of 4,136
Baaah, we dont like virtual surround, baaaw, stick to stereo, baaah, you fail if you don't listen to us, baaah.

Horrible people, with horrible advice.

Dec 18, 2013 at 7:22 AM Post #2,219 of 4,136
Normally I enjoy their videos, really good PC gaming and hardware advice and they are down to earth. But I have this feeling that the mayflower rep poisoned Logans ears a bit too much.

They go ahead and put together the O2 which is already easy to diy all of a sudden they are experts and all PC audio cards are trash... Really mature.

Dec 18, 2013 at 7:49 AM Post #2,220 of 4,136
So.. basically don't buy a soundcard... buy this ODAC that the guy on the left sells for $189.. kerchiiiiiing!!!

Users who are viewing this thread

Back