The Nameless Guide To PC Gaming Audio (with binaural headphone surround sound)
Jan 6, 2021 at 11:44 PM Post #4,111 of 4,136
The Penrose is the best headset. Listen to something with sub-bass and you'll see the superiority of the DSP corrected planar magnetic drivers.

Jan 7, 2021 at 12:25 AM Post #4,112 of 4,136
The Penrose is the best headset. Listen to something with sub-bass and you'll see the superiority of the DSP corrected planar magnetic drivers.

I agree the penrose sound nice but i couldnt really notice much change between them and siberia 840s. Note i only use them for pc gaming.

That and the penrose feels like we are beta testers...lots of various issues. I experience the whooshing, bad connectivity, tight fit...

Last edited:
Jan 20, 2021 at 3:11 PM Post #4,113 of 4,136
I've ended up with a THX amp + HD800S and I don't find I need surround DSPs anymore, unless they're for older games. More and more, modern games feature their own Headphone mode, and as pointed out a few pages back, they are superior to any external DSPs cos they do the full XYZ. Still, I hang on to my SB X3 using optical out, especially for mic duties.

The one superb thing though about Dolby, SBX etc is that they can give soundstage, airiness and depth to headphones that don't have those qualities in the first place, ie closed backs, for example. MLE mentions this extensively in his reviews, so it's a valid point. And, in one nice package you get other great DSP's and EQ options. Equalizer APO is a pain to use on the other hand.

Also also: gaming headphones are a lot better than they were in 2011. Back then, the Audio Technica AD700's were king of the hill. Nowadays, they are considered too shrill, or have just plain fallen apart :) I've got a set of Beyer MMX2's now, and they are an absolute joy and so much more fun than the Audio Technicas.

BTW @Sennheiser Listen to me: make a gaming version of the HD800S with a mic. Audeze did it with the GX. Just do it, we will pay
Can I ask, how is the sound out of your set up better or improved compared the Sound Blaster AE-9 for instance that has SBX as part of the package.

Cheers

Jan 20, 2021 at 4:49 PM Post #4,114 of 4,136
NamelessPFG: I'm interested in your thoughts on what is the top experience now for the gamer of open world games? I think I recall you lavishing compliments on CMSS in the early days and I too felt/feel the same way, probably still do and have a modded Tit HD in the box of spares. Is there any chance you could give a roughly overarching comment on the state of play as of 2021?

I'm using an Burson modded AE-9 and a pair of HD660S's as my daily gaming driver and really don't know where to go from here if anywhere.

Your comments in amongst the HUGE morass atm would be kindly appreciated, if you have time.

P.S I posted this in MLE's thread but then realised it was you who talked with favour about CMSS.

Regards
Motorwayne

Jan 21, 2021 at 3:34 PM Post #4,115 of 4,136
Can I ask, how is the sound out of your set up better or improved compared the Sound Blaster AE-9 for instance that has SBX as part of the package.

Cheers
I still use SBX when required @motorwayne. I went from a Fidelio X1/ Sounblaster Z/ Audio_Gd Compass2 to the HD800S and THX (with a G3); it's better, but not miles better. Also, I wouldn't upgrade from your AE-9 tbh, and I'm sure NamelessPFG could advise you on that. I do know that the HD660s has a bit of a closed soundstage for an open headphone, but images well - for gaming I'd go possibly go for the Sennheiser PC38X.

Gaming audio isn't really that great still, with a few exceptions.

Last edited:
Jan 21, 2021 at 4:33 PM Post #4,116 of 4,136
I still use SBX when required @motorwayne. I went from a Fidelio X1/ Sounblaster Z/ Audio_Gd Compass2 to the HD800S and THX (with a G3); it's better, but not miles better. Also, I wouldn't upgrade from your AE-9 tbh, and I'm sure NamelessPFG could advise you on that. I do know that the HD660s has a bit of a closed soundstage for an open headphone, but images well - for gaming I'd go possibly go for the Sennheiser PC38X.

Gaming audio isn't really that great still, with a few exceptions.

Cheers for that. Interesting re the 660S vs PC38X soundstage, I have a separate Yeti Mic, but interested in checking the PC38X out, the review is very encouraging.

Jan 22, 2021 at 5:30 AM Post #4,117 of 4,136
Cheers for that. Interesting re the 660S vs PC38X soundstage, I have a separate Yeti Mic, but interested in checking the PC38X out, the review is very encouraging.
I didn't notice that you have the K712pro, honestly I think you're sorted. I got the HD800S cos I had the money to grab one.

Edit: Check out this great channel Gaming Audio Guide

Last edited:
Jan 23, 2021 at 7:58 PM Post #4,118 of 4,136
As an exercise on a rainy day, I thought I'd swap around my sound cards to see what it was like now I'm 18 months into the AE-9.

Normal daily driver : SB AE-9 modded with Burson single and double vivid OPAMPS (SBX surround sound)
Swapped out for : SB Titanium HD modded with a pair of metal can OPA2111AM's (CMSS surround sound)

I play a lot of DayZ and ARMA. To my ear, the CMSS based card gives better positional and positional distance information.

Interesting, wonder why they got rid of CMSS?

Last edited:
Jan 23, 2021 at 10:07 PM Post #4,119 of 4,136
As an exercise on a rainy day, I thought I'd swap around my sound cards to see what it was like now I'm 6 months into the AE-9.
Normal daily driver : SB AE-9 modded with Burson single and double vivid OPAMPS (SBX surround sound)
Swapped out for : SB Titanium HD modded with a pair of metal can OPA2111AM's (CMSS surround sound)
I play a lot of DayZ and ARMA. To my ear, the CMSS based card gives better positional and positional distance information.
Interesting, wonder why they got rid of CMSS?
Have you tried connecting an external headphone amplifier to the Ti-HD (Titanium-HD) line-output (RCA) jacks.
The Ti-HD's headphone jack has a 35-Ohm output impedance, technically for good damping control, you would want to use headphones that are 280-Ohm or higher.
Lower Ohm headphone might get a bloated bass, connected to the Ti-HD's headphone jack.
Where as a JDS atom or Schiit Magni 3, with their less then 1-Ohm output impedance, would be better for driving headphones as low as 10-Ohms.
I've heard that the over all sound quality, is a little better, with SBX, then CMSS?

The Soundcore3D audio processor comes with integrated features (like DAC & ADC, etc), that are normally done by several other chips.
Could be Creative removed several DSP hardware functions, making those functions software based and running off the main CPU.
Creative also might have tried it's best to keep the size of the over all chip small, to keep sound card manufacturing costs down.
At least that's what I would have done, if I owned Creative labs
But I'm just day dreaming.

Jan 25, 2021 at 7:56 PM Post #4,120 of 4,136
Have you tried connecting an external headphone amplifier to the Ti-HD (Titanium-HD) line-output (RCA) jacks.
The Ti-HD's headphone jack has a 35-Ohm output impedance, technically for good damping control, you would want to use headphones that are 280-Ohm or higher.
Lower Ohm headphone might get a bloated bass, connected to the Ti-HD's headphone jack.
Where as a JDS atom or Schiit Magni 3, with their less then 1-Ohm output impedance, would be better for driving headphones as low as 10-Ohms.
I've heard that the over all sound quality, is a little better, with SBX, then CMSS?

The Soundcore3D audio processor comes with integrated features (like DAC & ADC, etc), that are normally done by several other chips.
Could be Creative removed several DSP hardware functions, making those functions software based and running off the main CPU.
Creative also might have tried it's best to keep the size of the over all chip small, to keep sound card manufacturing costs down.

Hey there @PurpleAngel , I got the amp hooked up and it was okay, but I run a Yeti mic via blue tooth and I started having sound issues, mic cut out, sound cuts and was just ruggered etc...sadly, I think my CMSS days are looking like they're over. SBX is good enough, but it's mushy and not as precise as CMSS sounds to me.

Anyways, the search for wide stage, good bass and best PC game sound continues..I'm sniffing at some 800S's for a thought :)

Cheers

Jan 28, 2021 at 4:56 AM Post #4,121 of 4,136

I had another go at the SB Tit HD, cut away some of the shielding to make way for the big red opamps. I added a set of the Burson V6 Vivid single's and double's to the card, added an O2 Amp and separated the Yeti Mic to it's own USB channel and fired it up. I can not tell you how happy I am to again hear the CMSS in all it's glory! and to be using Discord at the same time without issues.

Played for hours tonight loving every minute of it. :)

Jan 28, 2021 at 9:47 AM Post #4,122 of 4,136
I had another go at the SB Tit HD, cut away some of the shielding to make way for the big red opamps. I added a set of the Burson V6 Vivid single's and double's to the card, added an O2 Amp and separated the Yeti Mic to it's own USB channel and fired it up. I can not tell you how happy I am to again hear the CMSS in all it's glory! and to be using Discord at the same time without issues.

Played for hours tonight loving every minute of it. :)
Sounds like a great mod, nice one.

I've got a Soundblaster G3 (essentially a cheap dongle with SBX surround) going into my THX amp/dac via optical and it sounds great. Power everywhere with the amp, and also a nice interface and equalizer to tweak away with on the SB software (see pic below).

I clocked your comments over on MLE's thread. CMSS is a distant memory, and I dearly hope gaming audio improves.

1611844588667.png

Last edited:
Feb 3, 2021 at 11:57 PM Post #4,123 of 4,136
It has been a week with the Titanium HD/ Burson V6 Vivid combo....I'm soo living the dream, even though I thought CMSS was excellent for surround, the Burson's have really given the card some OMPH! Everytime I'm gaming I'm smiling and notcing things, so clear and individuated, some sounds have punch, others are subtle..no more mushy mushy SBX ----> runs for cover :) )

Feb 4, 2021 at 4:34 PM Post #4,124 of 4,136
Looking for some input on a modmic uni and gaming audio in general...starting to game on PC more again vs consoles, so naturally time to look at my audio setup. At my desk I currently have a Burson Conductor 3R that I use for music, it is my understanding that with Windows Sonic or DTS for Headphones I shouldn't need any new DAC/AMP hardware, just the software implementation?

My current headphones are B&W P7 and Focal Elegia. P7's are a bit more V shaped and fun for games, but the Elegia have it beat in sound stage. Thinking about something like a modmic uni, but concerned the double side tape they use may ruin the headphones when I take it off down the road. Anyone have any input on this?

I've also been exploring some slightly cheaper setups to use as a dedicated rig too, such as the Beyer DT 770 Pro/modmic, the Beyer MMX 300, EPOS|Sennheiser Game Zero, Audeze Penrose etc. Any recommendations there? Prefer to stay closed vs open for the location of my desk. Wired vs Wireless I don't really have a preference.

I tried some Logitech G Pro X wired, and after listening to good headphones for so long they just didn't do it for me.

Feb 16, 2021 at 6:53 PM Post #4,125 of 4,136
I've been normally using a Yeti as my mic and not using the X-Fi HD mic output. But recently I've been tying a pair of PC37X's while waiting on the PC38x to arrive, and I've been plugging the headset cord into the mic out on the X-Fi HD, apparently according to my team mates on Discord, my voice gets all staticy from time to time or I lose voice altogether sometimes.

Question: Is this normal for this card?, I seem to remember others say much the same in the past..or is it just a Discord/Windows/X-Fi thing?

Cheers

Users who are viewing this thread

Back