The Nameless Guide To PC Gaming Audio (with binaural headphone surround sound)
Mar 17, 2016 at 2:10 PM Post #3,526 of 4,136
Thansk
Thanks, seen your post before. Believe it or not I went throught 235 pages of Nameless gaming thread.

I just finished listening ath msr7 vs COP+ comparison at store.

Unsuprisingly I can confirm ath being more analytical/less fun. Bass is more responsive and precise than cop+ albeit missing at moments.

For competitive gaming much better than cop I imagine.

All in all, only 1 issue which disqualificates them for me - not comfortable earphones
frown.gif
idk

Thx for all help will look for dac/amp now for cop+

All I can tell you is that I like my ODAC+O2 with my Philips Fidelio X2, but I'm not an audiophile by any means and haven't tried many combinations.

Mar 18, 2016 at 6:23 PM Post #3,527 of 4,136
Did a little test of cmss3D for music for COP+
Source: Tidal, Gold (Flume rework)

CMSS3D | win10  speaker setup | x-fi speaker setup
enabled   | 7.1                            | headphone          = music baaad
disabled  | 7.1                            | headphone          = music degraded somewhat, channel reproduction suffers bit 
disabled  | Stereo                       | headphone          = good music and channel reproduction

Is there a way to get Tidal as stereo no CMSS3D output from PC
while everything else (games) to use CMSS3D enabled and 7.1? Or some kind of software switching those.

Seems like saving couple of clicks every time.

Mar 18, 2016 at 6:33 PM Post #3,528 of 4,136

disabled  | 7.1                            | headphone          = music degraded somewhat, channel reproduction suffers bit 
disabled  | Stereo                       | headphone          = good music and channel reproduction

while everything else (games) to use CMSS3D enabled and 7.1? Or some kind of software switching those.

Yeah, I also wish this existed. I have to manually enable CMSS3D when I want to play games. It's a chore.

Mar 22, 2016 at 1:21 AM Post #3,529 of 4,136

Does cmss do anything if you set your playback device to stereo? If not, you could just leave it on and only switch the channel configuration in Windows.

Apr 3, 2016 at 7:15 AM Post #3,531 of 4,136
Hello,

I had purchased the Razer Kraken 7.1 USB headphones for PC Gaming a while back. I use these often, but I found from the very beginning that they are very uncomfortable for me:- I had read that they are very tight on your head, but I assumed this would change over time. It did not and so I find that I can not game for prolonged sessions because of the horrible feeling it causes in my head.
Also, from the beginning I started using them with a hooded jumper because I could not stand their direct contact with my head. (To help with comfort). It also helped me to not hear a slight hissing noise whenever audio was playing which was quite annoying, but I assumed it was the USB connection.

Can anyone recommend me fantastic headphones that are OPEN(no need for microphone but don't mind if there is one). I play FPS games very casually, as I enjoy a range of different games typically with a story-driven narrative. I also like to listen to Hip-Hop/ Rap.
My motherboard has Realtek HD Audio onboard if that means anything for a 3.5mm jack connection.

r/PCMasterRace over at Reddit tend to like sennheisers but I am unsure.

Thanks in advance!

Apr 3, 2016 at 11:58 AM Post #3,532 of 4,136
  Hello,

I had purchased the Razer Kraken 7.1 USB headphones for PC Gaming a while back. I use these often, but I found from the very beginning that they are very uncomfortable for me:- I had read that they are very tight on your head, but I assumed this would change over time. It did not and so I find that I can not game for prolonged sessions because of the horrible feeling it causes in my head.
Also, from the beginning I started using them with a hooded jumper because I could not stand their direct contact with my head. (To help with comfort). It also helped me to not hear a slight hissing noise whenever audio was playing which was quite annoying, but I assumed it was the USB connection.

Can anyone recommend me fantastic headphones that are OPEN(no need for microphone but don't mind if there is one). I play FPS games very casually, as I enjoy a range of different games typically with a story-driven narrative. I also like to listen to Hip-Hop/ Rap.
My motherboard has Realtek HD Audio onboard if that means anything for a 3.5mm jack connection.

r/PCMasterRace over at Reddit tend to like sennheisers but I am unsure.

Thanks in advance!

Hi, for a nice gaming headset with good perf in every aspect, you can count on the sennheiser G4me One. It's basicaly a sennheiser hd558 but with a microphone on it.
They are very often good deals with this headset on internet (amazon, private sells...) where you can find it at 100 dollars.

An other good gaming headset with many good reviews is the Audio Technica ATH-AD700X but i think the HD558/G4me One should be a more overall good headphone than this one. The AD700x is known apparently for his huge soundstage and many fps players use it.

If your budget is a bit lower but if you still want some thing good, there are very positive reviews about the HyperX Cloud 1 BUT IT IS A CLOSED GAMING HEADPHONE :frowning2: .

Apr 3, 2016 at 1:25 PM Post #3,533 of 4,136
Hmm...
Think I'll be staying away from these so-called "gaming headset" from now on.
Since my initial post I have been researching and have decided that headphones suit my needs without a microphone. Therefore I believe I will invest in the Philips X2 Fidelio, and then maybe some time get a DAC which I hear a lot of people talking good things about.

Thank you, friend.

Apr 3, 2016 at 2:47 PM Post #3,534 of 4,136
  Hmm...
Think I'll be staying away from these so-called "gaming headset" from now on.
Since my initial post I have been researching and have decided that headphones suit my needs without a microphone. Therefore I believe I will invest in the Philips X2 Fidelio, and then maybe some time get a DAC which I hear a lot of people talking good things about.

Thank you, friend.

Hi, but headphone will maybe need, but depending of your motherboard, force you to buy a little amp (because sound to low) or even a DAC (bottleneck) with it :/
Some one will help you concidering it. Post your motherboard spec (will not change much for some people xD).

On the other hand, what i wrote on my other post is amp Free.

Apr 3, 2016 at 3:02 PM Post #3,535 of 4,136
Motherboard Name: Gigabyte GA-H81M-S2H
I believe it is Realtek as I have the audio drivers for that installed.

I don't mind about buying an Amp/DAC because I do want good quality.
The Razer headphones I own are horrible because they are connected with USB and have a hissing noise.

Apr 20, 2016 at 9:55 AM Post #3,536 of 4,136
Son and I are PC gamers and listen to music thru our PC... our rig:
Asus P8P67 MB
i7-2600k cpu
nVidia EVGA 980Ti vid card
8 gb Corsair Mem
Toshiba 850 EVO 1TB SSD
Asus Xonar Essence ST internal sound card
M-Audio AV40 speakers (2.0)
Sennheiser PC360 headset

We are disappointed with the 'surround'/directionality of the sound from the headset playing games, including the FPS Battlefield 4. The music sound is decent with the headset, but the M-Audio's need a sub to better cover the range of music. We usually use the headset when the wife is home and often the speakers when she is not. We have had on and off problems with the sound card drivers.

Are there better gaming sound solutions to what we are experiencing? Another sound card, etc??

Thanks for ideas/suggestions....

Apr 20, 2016 at 2:09 PM Post #3,537 of 4,136
  Son and I are PC gamers and listen to music thru our PC... our rig:
Asus P8P67 MB
i7-2600k cpu
nVidia EVGA 980Ti vid card
8 gb Corsair Mem
Toshiba 850 EVO 1TB SSD
Asus Xonar Essence ST internal sound card
M-Audio AV40 speakers (2.0)
Sennheiser PC360 headset

We are disappointed with the 'surround'/directionality of the sound from the headset playing games, including the FPS Battlefield 4. The music sound is decent with the headset, but the M-Audio's need a sub to better cover the range of music. We usually use the headset when the wife is home and often the speakers when she is not. We have had on and off problems with the sound card drivers.

Are there better gaming sound solutions to what we are experiencing? Another sound card, etc??

Thanks for ideas/suggestions....

Good luck for you and your son :)

Apr 23, 2016 at 5:49 AM Post #3,538 of 4,136
Dear all, after a few years gaming with mobo sound + a pair of Creative T20 speakers, I was curious to try headphone and bought some Qpad QH-85. Now I wish I had been more informed and knew that they are just a branding of 25$ but good-for-their-price Takstar HI2050 headphones... So meh. They still sound good anyway.

Anyway I am now interested in trying some "3D" sound, I started doing my homework (but did not read this full thread !), lurked the HeadFi forums, and I am now considering the purchase of a Schiit Modi/Magni 2U or Modi2/Vali2 stack, because I don't want to invest on "gaming only" gear.

So my question to you is : would getting software 3D processing (ie Creative Sound Blaster X-Fi MB3) and playing it through the Schiit stack (DAC/AMP) be a good idea ? Would it produce results equivalent to a sound card (SBZ ou Essence STX, etc.) ?

Thank you in advance !

Apr 25, 2016 at 6:28 AM Post #3,539 of 4,136
Answering myself : I did more reading and it seems like I can't discard the DSP dedicated processor, so I guess that means either a Soudblaster Z + Schiit stack (440€ total) OR the Soundblaster X7 (340€).

Do you guys have any opinion ? I'm hesitant maybe for the price of SBZ+Schiit I couldeven throw in a pair of Creative E-MU XM7, which I expect would be an upgrade from my old T20.

Apr 25, 2016 at 2:28 PM Post #3,540 of 4,136
  Answering myself : I did more reading and it seems like I can't discard the DSP dedicated processor, so I guess that means either a Soudblaster Z + Schiit stack (440€ total) OR the Soundblaster X7 (340€).

Do you guys have any opinion ? I'm hesitant maybe for the price of SBZ+Schiit I couldeven throw in a pair of Creative E-MU XM7, which I expect would be an upgrade from my old T20.

If you use the MODI 2 in the chain then you are going to bypass the Soundblaster soundcard (since the Modi will be doing the audio processing), or did you meant using the Soundblaster for gaming only and the modi/magni only for audio listening?

I'm facing the same dilemma and I'm currently evaluating the Soundblaster ZXR (for the RCA) and the Magni 2U (or maybe the Asgard 2 xD) for further amplification (for power hungry headphones).

Users who are viewing this thread

Back