The Nameless Guide To PC Gaming Audio (with binaural headphone surround sound)
Aug 1, 2013 at 3:26 PM Post #1,711 of 4,136
The Xonar U1 also can do it.

Aug 1, 2013 at 3:43 PM Post #1,712 of 4,136
Someone should start a database for these things. Devices that do virtual surround through spdif, devices that do it through RCA, and those that can only do it through the headphone out.

Aug 1, 2013 at 4:02 PM Post #1,713 of 4,136
Quote:
Someone should start a database for these things. Devices that do virtual surround through spdif, devices that do it through RCA, and those that can only do it through the headphone out.

I'd do it myself if people were willing to lend me sound cards to test out.

I can safely say that X-Fi cards can pass CMSS-3D Headphone through any desired output.

It's the C-Media chipset cards (Asus, HT Omega, most of Auzentech's lineup) that leaves me with uncertainty, along with Creative's Sound Core3D-based offerings. (The Recon3D USB only has the one headphone jack for output, so I can't test S/PDIF-out or check whether the mix changes between headphone and speaker surround on a Z-series card depending on whether or not the headphone-out or RCA line-out is used.)

Aug 1, 2013 at 4:55 PM Post #1,714 of 4,136
Quote:
No, you need a soundcard that ALLOWS you bypass it. By chance these xonars do that. You can't just buy any soundcard and expect it to do that. Prior tk me pointing it out, I don't remember seeing anyone mentioning any soundcard doing that.

I can safely say that X-Fi cards can pass CMSS-3D Headphone through any desired output.

Creative said on their website that their sound blaster Z+ cards all support ASIO.  I'm not sure exactly if that would bypass the card's DSP as well as the AMP/DAC

Aug 2, 2013 at 3:28 AM Post #1,715 of 4,136
Quote:
Creative said on their website that their sound blaster Z+ cards all support ASIO.  I'm not sure exactly if that would bypass the card's DSP as well as the AMP/DAC

ASIO doesn't apply to gaming audio at all. Not unless you're using Rapture3D Advanced edition with OpenAL games (since Rapture3D doesn't work with anything else), and since that costs around 500 GBP last time I checked, you're probably not.

What we're looking into here is whether or not a sound card will output headphone-mixed audio over S/PDIF. (Possibly over HDMI in the cases of the Auzentech X-Fi HomeTheater HD and the Xonar HDAV.)

Aug 2, 2013 at 8:02 AM Post #1,716 of 4,136
I need something better than FRAPS for recording game audio. What's out there? What's the best input format for youtube for minimal audio loss? Windows Movie Maker recodes to 192kbs audio and Youtube seems to do additional conversion. 

Another interesting thing is when I use an, EQ FRAPS doesn't care while recording. What's going on?

I wanted to EQ SBX to something similar to CMSS-3D levels.

Aug 3, 2013 at 2:18 AM Post #1,717 of 4,136
Quote:
What we're looking into here is whether or not a sound card will output headphone-mixed audio over S/PDIF. (Possibly over HDMI in the cases of the Auzentech X-Fi HomeTheater HD and the Xonar HDAV.)

Thanks clearing up my misunderstandings. I'm kind of curious about it now too. (Sorry for all the questions) Guess ill have to keep an eye on this thread.

Aug 6, 2013 at 10:27 AM Post #1,719 of 4,136
Use the gaming preset, set to 8 channels and thats it.

Aug 8, 2013 at 4:29 AM Post #1,721 of 4,136
Hi all,
I would like to know how to get better surround sound with Beyerdynamic dt 990 pro, currently I am using Razer Surround to output 7.1.
I am also planning to get sound card/ amp which should be better. Does a sound card/ AMP will increase overall sound quality considerably.
And what will be best a sound card for 990.

Aug 9, 2013 at 2:54 PM Post #1,722 of 4,136
Hello,
I'm looking into gaming audio and have a few questions. My motherboard, the Gigabyte ga-z87x-ud4h, has a Realtek ALC892 on it. How do I find out what surround technologies it supports? The Realtek spec sheet says it supports Direct Sound 3d and I3DL2 and has "Optional Dolby PCEE program, SRS TruSurround HD, SRS Premium Sound, Fortemedia SAM, Creative Host Audio, Synopsys Sonic Focus, DTS Surround Sensation | UltraPC, and DTS Connect licenses". The Gigabyte website doesn't say what it supports. The reason I ask is because I was looking for a cheap card with optical out to go to a DAC but I figured I would see what my mobo has to offer. I was looking at the Xonar DGX but are there any better options for this purpose?

EDIT: Wouldn't I be able to install alternate drivers for my mobo that would enable the optional features?

Aug 15, 2013 at 2:18 PM Post #1,723 of 4,136
I'm in need of some help.

I have an Asus P8Z68 V LX motherboard with the onboard audio and video disabled
Soundblaster X Fi Titanium Fatal1ty card
nvidia 660 gpu

Headphones:
Sennheiser PC360
audio technica ath ad700x

I decided to try out the ad700x headphones instead of my pc360 headset.  I turn down the sound in windows from 66% to 10-15% because the ad700x doesn't seem to require much power to drive what I feel is around the same volume level.  But there is a problem.  My pc360 works fine, no issues.  However, once I connect my ad700x there's this really frustrating and annoying.. maddening buzzing or just noise in the right headphone alone.  I've taken the headphone and tried it on a laptop, and there are no issues, the sound is fine.  However when I bring it back to my pc, the right ear has that noise/buzzing.

When I launch a game, the buzzing/noise gets much much louder, and it really hurts.  I cannot use the ad700x at all (even if I weren't launching games).  So I know it's not the headphone at fault.

My question is.. do I need a new sound card, or are there some settings I can tweak to get the buzzing down?  It seems like (but I could be way off here) that there's some interference coming from the video card.  I only have 1 PCIe slot which is above and very close to the required PCIe for my video card.  If it is my card, is there a way to know (beforehand) if there will be interference in the sound?  If that's even the problem...

Anyone have any insight or suggestions?  Much appreciated, thanks.

Aug 15, 2013 at 3:24 PM Post #1,724 of 4,136
As your Sennheiser works fine, the soundcard should be ok. Maybe the cable of the AD700x is the problem. It could be the pug not resting correctly inside the souncard's 3.5 inch output port. Try some other headphones if you have, it could be even cheap iems just to find out what is wrong.

Aug 20, 2013 at 5:21 PM Post #1,725 of 4,136
Posted in MLE's thread and wondering if i could get some ideas....

Finally got my Asgard 2 in and it sounds pretty amazing with the modded 555's. can't wait to try the X1. Then when the time comes to upgrade again either get an HE-400 or the Mad Dogs :p.

Though i noticed if go past the 12 o'clock position i'm starting to hear a hiss and faint beeping from the x-fi no matter if the PC volume is at 0%, 70% or 100%..... When i turn off my computer theres isn't any hiss or beeps.gonna try to find some shielded RCA cables from Blue Jeans Cable.

From the gist of this thread (i may be totally wrong) the x-fi should be able to pass the CMSS 3D settings to a different DAC? Should i get a modi to match with my Asgard so i can have an external DAC to combat the internal EMI interference from my computer?

I'm worried i'll be getting even more interference since i have a second  gtx 670 to SLI and the sound card will be right next to the videocard.

Worst case i'll pick up a xonar essence stx since it has more EMI shielding. 

Users who are viewing this thread

Back