The Mystery of Pressure on the Earcup Creating Volume Differences
Feb 15, 2016 at 11:37 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 1

Tompie913

New Head-Fier
I have a pair of Griffin Woodtones, which have been great for the most part. But tonight I put them on and noticed that the left ear seemed a bit quiet. And now I've noticed that when I push on the left earcup when it's on my head, I hear a click and the left driver gets even quieter. Then I push again, and click, the volume goes back. It's like a toggle switch for muffling the driver.

I tried opening it up to see, but I couldn't access the driver because it's attached by 3 screws and what I thought was a 4th screw but which actually seems to be a rivet. So I can't open it up to see the driver. But I did find that I couldn't replicate it with the earcup off. Earcup back on, and I could. I've tried this 3 times now. Pushing on one part of the earcup or the driver seems to do nothing. It only seems to happen when I have the earcup fully against something like my head or my palm. Thus, I've come to the conclusion that it must be a suction cup effect that is doing something to the driver, but just what I have no idea.

I did drop the cans a couple of week ago, but I haven't noticed anything til now. So I have sort of two "modes" on the left ear, one which is definitely muffled and one which is sort of normal and one which I can't quite tell if it's normal or if it's a bit quiet. Listening to "Love Lockdown" I have to say that at least the bass seems a bit muffled.

I'll probably see if I can get them replaced under warranty, since they're under a month old. But still, I'm incredibly curious as to why this is happening. It only happens with the left ear, and the only cause that I can think of is suction within the earcup. Why would suction make a driver quieter?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back