The mystery of MIDI--a question for musicians
Jan 24, 2007 at 2:49 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 1

ComfyCan

500+ Head-Fier
This is probably the wrong forum to ask this question, but you people are my "virtual" friends, so I hope you will forgive my slightly off-topic post, and confession of complete ignorance about the issue I have.

Here's the deal. My 15 year old son plays electric guitar, and I mess around with one also (he's pretty good; I suck). I bought him a new Fender G-Dec 30 amp for Christmas, which is a very slick practice amp with a zillion onboard effects. If you are a guitar player, I highly reccomend playing around with one of these things--it's a hoot.

My son also has a pair of M-audio studio monitors, which his garage-band buddies connect to some kind of mixer, along with amps & such.

The Fender G-Dec can be connected to a PC with some kind of cord, which I'm sure I can find from Guitar Center or something. This allows you to import MIDI songs into the G-Dec to use as backing tracks, in addition to the numerous built-in presets.

What I'm looking for is a piece of hardware that can be used to connect to a laptop to import MIDI Files, that also has ports for the studio monitors. The speaker on the G-Dec is the weakest link; I'm sure it would sound much better with studio monitors. I know the amp is designed to do this, but I get totally lost when I visit musician forums and the G-Dec manual is meaningless to me.

The device I'm looking for would also probably permit recording back to the PC, assuming I had the right software installed.

Budget is around $200-$300.

Any suggestions?
confused.gif

Users who are viewing this thread

Back