the music of Lila Downs
Feb 24, 2004 at 6:08 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 4

Wilson

500+ Head-Fier
About a year ago at the listening station in Tower Records I was fortunate to come across Lila Downs' CD "La Linea". One listen to 'Mi Corazon Me Recuerda" and I bought the album. She is becoming better known these days and her "La Sandunga" was recently re-issued with some bonus tracks. I purchased the re-issue for the bonus tracks, just the "Besame Mucho" track alone is worth the expense.

Last night I attended her concert in the mid-peninsula of the Bay Area. She was the guest opener for Los Lobos, but her tremendous stage presence and her mesmerizing voice stole the show. The audience really enjoyed her performance, her band was tight and very talented.

I highly recommend this emerging artist.

Happy listening,
W

Feb 24, 2004 at 4:20 PM Post #2 of 4
Another fan here!

Downs is a most unusual and talented singer. If you're looking for a "sweet" or "angelic" voice you won't find it in her. Her dark-hued tone is however extremely expressive and versertile. At times mischievous, vengeful, heartbreaking and serene, her album La Lina will amaze anybody. The lament La Martiniana is especially moving.

Her previous album Tree of Life has an overall more serene, spiritual mood and is also highly recommended.

Downs was in Singapore last June. I had hoped against hope that she would stop by in Hong Kong (she didn't, problably because of the SARS epidemic). Oh well...

Feb 24, 2004 at 5:14 PM Post #3 of 4
quote:
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Originally posted by FalconP
... extremely expressive and versertile. At times mischievous, vengeful, heartbreaking and serene ...
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Hey FalconP, well said.
Sidetrack for a moment - just curious, any good performing location/concert hall in Hong Kong? I left Hong Kong a long time ago and sometimes wonder what is the cultural scene there these days.

Cheers,
W

Feb 24, 2004 at 5:30 PM Post #4 of 4
Quote:

Originally posted by Wilson
quote:

Hey FalconP, well said.
Sidetrack for a moment - just curious, any good performing location/concert hall in Hong Kong? I left Hong Kong a long time ago and sometimes wonder what is the cultural scene there these days.

Cheers,
W

Hi Wilson,

The cultural scene has been getting better and better in the past 5 years or so. The anual Arts Festival is now in full swing, and this year we had the likes of Marc-Andre Hamelin, Angela Hewitt, Bobby McFerrin, Jan Garbarek (superb performance, by the way), Giberto Gil and Jane Birkins.

At the same time there is currently a series of Chinese minority music and dance performances (the standard of the shows were very uneven: some troupes were great, others were no better than con artists)

Outside major festivals, there are surprises from time to time, but these are largely resticted to Classical and Jazz music (saw Charles Llyod and Bill Frisell last year). Folk/ethnic music are still largely ignored. I envy Singapore of having a world-music Festival.

As for performing venues. The good ole City Hall is still the king, acoustic-wise. The newer venues either suffer from appalling acoustics (e.g. The concert Hall in the HK Cultural Centre), or are too remote by HK standards (e.g. The Yeun Long Theatre is a beautiful venue with good sound, but HK people just won't take an hour's ride to get there.)

Users who are viewing this thread

Back