The munchy quest for new IEM's - budget 300eur from a rather picky listener
Jun 20, 2011 at 10:21 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 7

munchzilla

500+ Head-Fier
hi - gone through a few IEM's the past years but never really feel satisfied...

to start off, the closest I've come to satisfaction is probably the Audio Technica ATH-CK10... if it wasn't for that harsh treble and sibilance.

I would really like some with a good sound stage, wide and well-defined I suppose.
and I don't want a lot of bass.
I want something that does vocals rather well
and as mentioned above, harsh treble no thanks.

I have a pair of Sennheiser IE8 currently but I feel they're missing a few bits, and the bass is a bit much to me even at lowest setting.
and I feel the treble roll-off is a bit too much, could be a little more extended.

I'm not sure if this is anything to go with but I hope it's a start. :xf_eek:

thanks!

Jun 20, 2011 at 10:56 PM Post #2 of 7
If you really liked the CK10s but found it had some flaws such as the treble and sibilance, then you should definitely look into the DBA02s. I have heard  both and sold off the CK10s since I found the DBA02s much more easier to listen to. The treble is not so much in your face like the CK10s, bass is extremely tight and detailed, and the mids are amazinly transparent. not to mention it is like 100 cheaper than the ath

Jun 21, 2011 at 12:50 AM Post #3 of 7
I agree with rangerid, I think the DBA-02 should suit your sound signature preference.

Jun 21, 2011 at 8:48 AM Post #5 of 7
hmm - very mixed opinions here!

first and foremost though, what I've read about the DBA-02 sound stage is that it's nowhere near as impressive as the CK10 or IE8 (which I both kind of like but with their slight flaws)
and a few people still say the treble is a bit harsh- but compared to what?

I'm not sure if you guys have heard the Beyerdynamic DT880 600Ohm version on a solid state amp or whatnot, but those to me have a very nice clear treble yet not harsh or sibilant.
I actually came to think of something yesterday, does not haaaave to be IEM if they're somewhat portable anyway. would this open up for any better choices? although if portable like this they HAVE to be closed, I don't want to be able to hear the outside world :p

going to read up a little on the e-Q5/e-Q7, they seem quite uncomfy at glance though. and I really do value comfort quite a bit.

thanks!! :)

Jun 21, 2011 at 11:29 PM Post #7 of 7
What about the re262 or the newer re272? They seem to fit the bill.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back