The most unsolvable debate in audiophiledom?
Oct 22, 2003 at 10:42 AM Post #16 of 49
Quote:

Originally posted by Iron_Dreamer
I think it's neutral vs. a little color, because it all comes down purely to preference. Empirical assements can be made on both sides of the other debates

I third this statement
smily_headphones1.gif

Oct 22, 2003 at 11:32 AM Post #18 of 49
Quote:

Originally posted by Iron_Dreamer
I think it's neutral vs. a little color, because it all comes down purely to preference. Empirical assements can be made on both sides of the other debates

I agree

Oct 22, 2003 at 11:53 AM Post #19 of 49
Quote:

Originally posted by chadbang
I think the cable argument is for non-audiophiles to debate. Anyone who's actually bought an "audiophile" set of cables and compared them to bad cables know there is a difference. And if they can't hear it, then they don't have the equipment to hear the difference, hence they're not audiophiles - and it's no longer an "audiophile" debate.

Oooh. Harsh but true. I went through quite a lot before I saw the light.

Oct 22, 2003 at 1:25 PM Post #21 of 49
Quote:

I think the cable argument is for non-audiophiles to debate. Anyone who's actually bought an "audiophile" set of cables and compared them to bad cables know there is a difference. And if they can't hear it, then they don't have the equipment to hear the difference, hence they're not audiophiles - and it's no longer an "audiophile" debate.

AMEN!!!

I chose analog vs. digital.

Oct 22, 2003 at 2:53 PM Post #24 of 49
In my opinion it has to be the cable debate. I know that I cannot always quantify or put into words what I hear with cable changes. I do believe they can and do make a difference, but proving it is another proposition all together.

The differences between really great vinyl playback and digital are readily apparent, so it is easy to decide which camp you are in. Tubes vs. Solid state? That's a little tougher as the SS designs have come a long way. Still, decided which side of the fence you're on is not that difficult. Same with "neutral" vs. color, again it's a preference for a certain type of sound, like the CD3K vs. HD600. Hi-rez arguments may be more difficult to solve, but to me, still not like cables, or other tweaks like cones.

The un-solvability of the cable debate has more to do with whether a person believes cables make any difference at all, rather than whether they like "warm" vs. "neutral" cables. I have read many accounts of "true" audiophiles (people with gear that is on anyones kick-ass list) who do not believe that cables--beyond the difference between high quality purpose-made and generic low quality(example: zip cord vs. dedicated speaker cables)--make any appreciable difference. I AM NOT IN THAT CAMP...I can clearly hear differences in many cables. That does not mean that I can prove it to someone who doesn't believe it.

Sounds like a familiar argument doesn't it?

biggrin.gif

Oh yeah, for the record:
Great vinyl over PCM (although, I can't afford that level of vinyl rig)
Tubes over solid state
SACD over DVD-A
Cables DO make a difference
A little color
2 channel over poorly done MCH (haven't heard good MCH yet)
wink.gif

Oct 22, 2003 at 3:17 PM Post #25 of 49
Quote:

Originally posted by fractus2
vs. DT880
cool.gif

I would have included this headphone as well, but its owners aren't quite as, shall I say, vocal as the HD600 and CD3000 owners.
600smile.gif
3000smile.gif

Oct 22, 2003 at 3:32 PM Post #27 of 49
Quote:

Originally posted by Hiker
I think its pretty clear:

HD600(soon 650) vs. CD3000

YES THIS ONE IS MISSING!!!!!!
very_evil_smiley.gif
very_evil_smiley.gif
very_evil_smiley.gif

Oct 22, 2003 at 5:27 PM Post #29 of 49
I chose analog vs. digital.

I have already come to my own conclusions on the other topics and I also completely agree with what Chadbang had to say about cables.

Oct 22, 2003 at 11:06 PM Post #30 of 49
Fastjack, Lisa: Not bad. What about "Where's the point of diminishing returns?" or "Does Bose make good products?" or "Do cd demagnetizers work?"?
wink.gif

Greetings from Munich!

Manfred / lini

P.S.: And not forget "stepped attenuator vs. pot" and - especially for JaZZ and MacDEF - "headphone amp vs. direct connection"...
biggrin.gif

Users who are viewing this thread

Back