The most underrated Beyerdynamic Tesla: T70
Jan 6, 2018 at 1:22 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 7

borrego

1000+ Head-Fier
The T70 was introduced at the time before pads rolling being popular. Most people does not realize the T70's reputation of having piercing treble, no bass was all caused by its shallow stock pads. With the stock pads, The T70 is virtually an on ear headphones on the for most adults. The lack of proper sealing making the T70 bass less and intolerable.

Fortunately, Beyerdynamic now offers a cure for the T70: The DT1770 velour pads (available from Amazon UK).
T70 with DT1770 pads_DxO.jpg

The 3-4mm taller DT1770 pads give the T70 the sealing it needs for proper bass response, Finally the T70 can show its true potential.

The best attribute of the T70 is its transparency/lack of characters. I have owned and am owning many headphones and none of my other headphones would be so "characterless" like the T70. I can listening to different genres of music for a few hours and forget which headphone I am having on my head. All my other headphones always reminds me "who they are" through their sound signatures.

I also own the T5p, which is still the best closed back Beyerdynamic in terms of resolution and imaging. But the T70 does one thing better than the T5p: the lack of closed back reverb. I do not know how Beyerdynamic does it but the T70 is least closed back sounding headphones I have ever heard. It does not having the typical strong closed back reverb effect reminding to you that you are listening to a pair of closed back headphones.

I think Beyerdynamic is discontinuing the T70. With street price less than US$300, it is the best value closed back dynamic headphones available for now IMO.

Last edited:
Feb 10, 2018 at 4:04 PM Post #2 of 7
You're right. I read this post(think it was this post) about two weeks ago and decided to play a bit with pads. I dislike velour. I found lambskin pads on ebay and placed an order. Much thicker and they angle the cups just a tad. I have to wear the headphone with the headband fully extended on both sides to fit now, its a tighter fit.

The difference isn't drastic but my response to it is. It feels that there is less lacking however its hard to pin it down. Treble is just as bright but no longer fatiguing, sounded like a hint of resonance before. Bass still seems just as light but it hits harder in electronic music so it can't possibly be. It sounds a tad more closed now but I don't mind. Its still the same headphone and I still wonder if the stock pads aren't better for genres such as classical. Well worth the $30 I put into the new earpads if only because I prefer leather and thick comfy pads.

For anyone else enjoying the T70s despite their reputation
https://www.ebay.com/itm/Genuine-La...var=471580471883&_trksid=p2057872.m2749.l2649

Last edited:
Feb 10, 2018 at 7:26 PM Post #3 of 7
The T70 was introduced at the time before pads rolling being popular. Most people does not realize the T70's reputation of having piercing treble, no bass was all caused by its shallow stock pads. With the stock pads, The T70 is virtually an on ear headphones on the for most adults. The lack of proper sealing making the T70 bass less and intolerable.

Fortunately, Beyerdynamic now offers a cure for the T70: The DT1770 velour pads (available from Amazon UK).

The 3-4mm taller DT1770 pads give the T70 the sealing it needs for proper bass response, Finally the T70 can show its true potential.

The best attribute of the T70 is its transparency/lack of characters. I have owned and am owning many headphones and none of my other headphones would be so "characterless" like the T70. I can listening to different genres of music for a few hours and forget which headphone I am having on my head. All my other headphones always reminds me "who they are" through their sound signatures.

I also own the T5p, which is still the best closed back Beyerdynamic in terms of resolution and imaging. But the T70 does one thing better than the T5p: the lack of closed back reverb. I do not know how Beyerdynamic does it but the T70 is least closed back sounding headphones I have ever heard. It does not having the typical strong closed back reverb effect reminding to you that you are listening to a pair of closed back headphones.

I think Beyerdynamic is discontinuing the T70. With street price less than US$300, it is the best value closed back dynamic headphones available for now IMO.

I used to own a T5P and was stunned by how airy/spacious it sounded for a closed back headphone, I no longer have it but I now own the T70 and I agree that it has the same thing, that it just doesn't sound like a closed back headphone at all. I will probably buy another T5P at some point as it's my endgame headphone in terms of sound quality, build quality and portabillity but right now I'm happy with the T70 and I would even go as far as saying that overall, the T70 is very nearly just as good as the T5P.

Last edited:
Feb 10, 2018 at 8:34 PM Post #4 of 7
If anyone wants testing if the T70 stocks pads are providing good sealing on your head, just try running your fingers at 5:00pm position behind your ears when wearing the T70. With the stock pads I found big gaps there.

FYI I also put the DT1770 velour pads on my T5p, and the velour pads substantially reduce the closed back reverb effect, making it sounds almost like my T1 with T1G2 velour pads. One obvious thing the T1/T5p does better than the T90/T70 are the angled baffle plate design, providing much better sense of sound stage depth and imaging. The T70/T90 are the "fun" Beyers as their FR are more V shape.

In general I feel Beyer headphones, due to their semi open/closed design, are better matched with velour pads, to provide more an "open" sound signature. Beyer changed to use memory foam for their 2nd generation Tesla headphones (i.e. DT1770), and these memory foam pads will conform to the head contour better after wearing the headphones for around 30mins by body temperature, giving better sealing. Thus I found the DT1770 velour pads give the best balance between "open" sound signature and good sealing for bass.

Oct 11, 2019 at 9:50 AM Post #5 of 7
I'm hoping this tip on the DT 1770 Velour pads works for the 32 Ohm T70p as for the T70 250 Ohm, as I just ordered the pads. Fingers crossed!

Sep 17, 2021 at 11:18 AM Post #7 of 7

T70 with DT1770 pads_DxO.jpg

How do they compare to T90?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back