The most important article on Tinnitus you've ever read
Oct 6, 2010 at 8:39 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 11

IPodPJ

MOT: Bellatone Audio
Caution: Incomplete customer orders
You must be logged into to Facebook to access www.scribd.com, but when you are, go to this link:

http://www.scribd.com/doc/37229200/Discover-Magazine-October-2010

and go to page 24 of the live document.

It is an extremely informative article from the October 2010 edition of Discover Magazine on new breakthroughs in understanding tinnitus and how to treat it.  It talks about the brain's tone map, which also would seem to explain why we have preferences towards different sounding headphones and audio gear.

You can also download the issue as a PDF file from the site (and the article will be on pages 22 and 24)

I have extracted the pages, and if a mod gives me permission I will post the PDF file here.

Oct 8, 2010 at 11:46 PM Post #3 of 11
I'll Wait For Your PDF file......I DON'T DO FACEBOOK........But this has always been a concern of mine,  understanding tinnitus that is....thanks for your important Info......

Oct 8, 2010 at 11:51 PM Post #4 of 11
don't do facebook either, so I'm hoping they will let you post it
biggrin.gif

Oct 9, 2010 at 5:00 AM Post #5 of 11
Please post, I dont do facebook either.

Oct 10, 2010 at 2:13 AM Post #9 of 11
I read it and now I am very concerned. Both my parents have tinnitus and extensive hearing damage (my dad even went so far as to say his hearing loss stemmed from a Frank Zappa concert. He was right next to the speaker at a large concert, however, despite his girlfriend at the time leaving because of the noise, he stayed because he wanted a picture of Zappa up close.)

How loud is the ringing in tinnitus? 

Oct 10, 2010 at 5:03 AM Post #10 of 11
Thanks for posting; interesting article.

I hope they find a good way of treating tinnitus soon. I know it can be very stressful for some.

My own tinnitus is very slight and disappear the second I get distracted by something, so I'm hardly bothered.

What bothers me is that they say that 3 - 15 percent experience some degree of tinnitus, but for some reason it is hard to find people describing their own cases. I would like to know more about how tinnitus affects people.
Can it blossom from a nuisance to a justified reason to kill oneself? Does having tinnitus or hearing loss make you more susceptible to get more tinnitus?

Oct 10, 2010 at 12:27 PM Post #11 of 11
Well, I read it and some of the theories in the article are similar to something else I had read on the subject, and I daresay, actually provided me some relief. For the longest time I've been hesitant to post my tinnitus journey but this article has prompted me to reconsider. It will take me a little while to get all my thoughts together so I'll try to post it in the next day or so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back