The most clarity around $1000?
May 17, 2022 at 12:44 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 18

77Bandit

New Head-Fier
Guys, I have a question. What are the most resolving, highest clarity headphones around $1000?

I have a tiny bit of money to spend. I have many headphones currently, which include Focal Clear, Audio Techica AD1000x and A1000, Grado RS2, Audeze Sine, AKG Q701, B&W on ears and in ears, etc. In the past, I had a pair of Audeze LCD2 fazors. I wasn’t overly impressed with the LCD2s, in regards to the frequency response. Although, I had never applied an equaliz to them. It is difficult ult for me to imagine a headphone sounding better than the Focal Clear.

After reading many reviews and viewing may videos, i have come to understand that the Sennheiser HD 800 and the Audeze LCD-X may have greater clarity and separation. Please respond with your experiences, etc. I can purchase the HD 800 for approximately $1100. I am not looking to spend any more than that. Please let me know any other recommendations you m@y have around that price point. I can’t imagine anything sounding bette than the Focal Clear.

Thanks.

May 17, 2022 at 12:49 AM Post #2 of 18
Guys, I have a question. What are the most resolving, highest clarity headphones around $1000?

I have a tiny bit of money to spend. I have many headphones currently, which include Focal Clear, Audio Techica AD1000x and A1000, Grado RS2, Audeze Sine, AKG Q701, B&W on ears and in ears, etc. In the past, I had a pair of Audeze LCD2 fazors. I wasn’t overly impressed with the LCD2s, in regards to the frequency response. Although, I had never applied an equaliz to them. It is difficult ult for me to imagine a headphone sounding better than the Focal Clear.

After reading many reviews and viewing may videos, i have come to understand that the Sennheiser HD 800 and the Audeze LCD-X may have greater clarity and separation. Please respond with your experiences, etc. I can purchase the HD 800 for approximately $1100. I am not looking to spend any more than that. Please let me know any other recommendations you m@y have around that price point. I can’t imagine anything sounding better than the Focal Clear.

Thanks.
Your last sentence says it all. To paraphrase W.C. Fields: ‘if you feel like spending on another headphone, lie down ‘til the feeling goes away.’ Save your money —> source / DAC / amp / cable upgrade if need be. [PS, the Clear OG is one of my headphone mainstays.]

Last edited:
May 17, 2022 at 2:15 AM Post #3 of 18
Your last sentence says it all. To paraphrase W.C. Fields: ‘if you feel like spending on another headphone, lie down ‘til the feeling goes away.’ Save your money —> source / DAC / amp / cable upgrade if need be. [PS, the Clear OG is one of my headphone mainstays.]
@jonathan c , so I did that since 2017. LOL! That is when I purchased my Clears. I own and operate a business and haven’t spent anything on myself since the beginning of 2020: this is my treat. The Focal Clear is amazing. How does the HD 800 or LCD-x or anything else compare? 🙏

May 17, 2022 at 3:05 AM Post #4 of 18
the hd800 has a sloppy and defused bass to my ears. And I cannot like any sennheiser headphone’s timbre, all of them sound plasticky and lacking the “bouncing” to my ears.
The lcd-x 2021 has a strange “wall of sound” , much worse than my old lcd-2 prefaz. It is tuned okay but seriously lacking depth because of that. It sounds strained

May 17, 2022 at 3:42 AM Post #5 of 18
What you currently have, the focal clears, are one of the top tier headphone for under $1k imo. Definitely look at saving or if you must, upgrades on dac and/or amp. I think a good upgrade would be dangerous music source + FA-12s or rebel amp which you may find, together, under $1k aftermarket.

Also wouldn't recommend getting the HD800s or the LCD-X since you have the clears. You will be disappointed

Last edited:
May 17, 2022 at 6:32 AM Post #7 of 18
The Focal Clear is a great set, but if you're looking for something different near $1000 with clarity, I would recommend adding the Hifiman Arya to your collection. It is a Planar headset so will sound different than the Dynamic driver in your Clear. There will be more grandness and airiness to your sound. It is a great headphone to compliment the Clears.

You can catch it on sale around the price you're looking from time-to-time. In fact, it's on sale on the Head Amp site now for $1,199: https://www.headamp.com/products/hifiman-arya?variant=28220642197568

May 17, 2022 at 9:51 AM Post #9 of 18
Would you consider selling the Clears and trying for a more expensive set of cans? You could get a ZMF Veritè Open for a little under $2k on the classifieds if you watch for it, or if you like the AT sound a pair of ATH-AD5000x could be an amazing choice.

Otherwise, I'd probably recommend the Hifiman Arya V3 if one pops up in your price range on the Classifieds.

Last edited:
May 17, 2022 at 9:58 AM Post #10 of 18
And come to think of it... depending on your amp, a Hifiman HE6SEv2 from Adorama is an AMAZING set of cans if you feed them enough juice. Should be able to get them under $700 new with warranty (the warranty is unfortunately quite necessary with this particular model, but HFM's customer service is always quite responsive and helpful).

May 17, 2022 at 9:58 AM Post #11 of 18
The Focal Clear is a great set, but if you're looking for something different near $1000 with clarity, I would recommend adding the Hifiman Arya to your collection. It is a Planar headset so will sound different than the Dynamic driver in your Clear. There will be more grandness and airiness to your sound. It is a great headphone to compliment the Clears.

You can catch it on sale around the price you're looking from time-to-time. In fact, it's on sale on the Head Amp site now for $1,199: https://www.headamp.com/products/hifiman-arya?variant=28220642197568
I echo @Brainiac9000 thoughts. The Arya is a perfect compliment to the Clears. It adds a Planar to your collection and in my opinion the Arya (especially Stealth) is the best overall headphone under $2000.

May 17, 2022 at 12:31 PM Post #13 of 18
HD800 is the easiest answer, but also come with (really) lack of bass presentation.

My choice would be ATH AD5000X and Hifiman Arya (if budget is possible) or Hifiman Ananda Stealth Magnet for something below your budget. I don't think LCD-X will really satisfy your hunger of clarity.

May 17, 2022 at 1:30 PM Post #14 of 18
LCD-XC 2021 is great for clarity and isolation! Just add a bass shelf and you are all set:

Preamp: -9.9 dB
Filter 1: ON LS Fc 100 Hz Gain 9.7 dB Q 0.8

Users who are viewing this thread

Back