The Most Beautiful Minds in Music
Feb 16, 2008 at 4:59 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 19

GlendaleViper

Yep, words.
I had a long drive last night which meant I had about 5 hours of car-listening all to myself. After listening to Lennon's Plastic Ono Band, I was overwhelmed with sadness and it got me thinking about the musicians who have really spoken to me.

Now, the purpose of this thread is somewhat different than you might expect. It is intentionally and intensely personal in nature and it's for this reason that I decided to try and get a discussion going on it. What I want to know is which artists have touched you the most deeply - I'm talking about the very fabric of your own personal identity and sense of morality. Below, I have listed the three most important thinkers in music to me. These are not necessarily my favourite musicians or lyricists, but what they have in common is the ability to appeal to my most basic sensibilities and as a result, dredge up the deepest of emotions and spark curiosity. In some ways, these are philosophers first. Thinkers who reach out to find common ground.

I look forward to reading what others have to say on the matter. Since we are all so different in both extreme and subtle ways, I expect a mix of consensus and drastically differing responses. All I ask is there be no judgment. We are all who we are and it is something to be respected. I hope this topic will help us to better understand one another and offer perspective in the unlimited variance of the individual human spirit.

Without further adieu...

John Lennon: Out of the three I list here, Lennon is by far my least favourite musician (as a solo artist) but remains the most beautiful. I enjoy his guitar work and to some degree his voice, but it was his heart that shone brightest. A perpetual idealist, the man tackled the immense subject of love, unity and self, and presented it as a challenge to the world. Through deep introspection and constant questioning of the most basic aspects of human identity, he captured the minds of so many, it's hard to quantify just how deeply he impacted the world. Think of it: how many other artists cite John Lennon as one of their most important influences and then think of how their own music has affected their audiences. Now repeat the process and it spreads exponentially. Lennon constantly challenged us to look into ourselves, think for ourselves, to leave self-loathing and blame behind and to replace resent with positive change, channeling our spirits into love for our fellow man. The untimely loss of John Lennon leaves it unanswerable as to the true impact his mind would have had on the generations to follow. It's a testament to his spirit that, more than any other person alive or dead, my mind swirls with activity amidst a deep pit in my stomach knowing that we were unable to follow him to the true end of his journey. I can only be thankful that I was blessed enough to be touched and have access to the footprint he left behind. (As a short digression, I want to note that between Lennon and Jim Henson - worthy of another thread altogether, I fear we have lost too soon two of the most gentle and honest spirits I'll ever know in my lifetime).

Brian Wilson: The impact of Brian Wilson on my life is almost as profound as that of Lennon, but for completely different reasons. His music earns a place in my heart forever simply for the range of emotion this man is and was willing to pour out. This is a man who can make me feel profound sadness and revel in it - play with it, even. He reminds me that it's okay to feel, to be. There is tragedy and innocence lost, rambunctiousness and joy, desire and heartache, confidence and meekness. He wrote music for no other reason than to make us feel - and in one case, just to make us "SMiLE". There is a simple beauty to his mind that I can't properly express and it's this free-flowing of emotions running the entire gamut that makes him so special to me.

Greg Graffin: In stark contrast to either of these men is a part-time professor of life sciences at UCLA and a Ph.D. in evolutionary biology. Front man for Punk band Bad Religion. This man alone is responsible for my skeptical spirit and passion for absorbing as much about the world as I can (most specifically the environment, the global community and indeed, even a hobby-like passion for quantum physics). Preachy but very well researched, his lyrics often beg for Cliff's notes and it's this pretentiousness, this unabashed scholarly presentation standing in stark contrast to the aggressive, simple nature of the music that makes his message so effective. Quite frankly, there are better punk acts out there. After nearly 30 years as a band, there has been little progression so the question has to be asked - why do I still listen, as so many of us still do? For me, it's the challenge. Bad Religion without the lyrics of Greg Graffin would culminate in a legacy of mundanity the likes of which no band of similar "vintage" could match. Every line in every song begs research for better understanding of the underlying context. This promotes further reading and, if I wasn't so damned lazy, action. Where Lennon is the spirit and Wilson the heart, Greg Graffin is the mind.

Feb 16, 2008 at 6:48 PM Post #6 of 19
Anyone actually read the first post?
confused.gif

Feb 16, 2008 at 6:50 PM Post #7 of 19
I have a few names that come to mind, such as Peter Gabriel, Bjork, and, dare I say, Seal, but I lack the words to explain why artists like these affect me the way they do. They just do. Maybe they haven't affected the world at large as the artists you posted, but they sure as heck affected me personally.

Sorry I couldn't add a whole lot to the thread. If anything I just wanted to comment on your wonderful post. Seriously, that has to be one of the best posts I've seen I've seen in my close to three years here, and I agree with ya on just about every point. To quote another great mind on these threads, I'm gonna say "Good Stuff".
biggrin.gif

Feb 16, 2008 at 7:02 PM Post #8 of 19
Quote:

Originally Posted by mwallace573 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Maybe they haven't affected the world at large as the artists you posted, but they sure as heck affected me personally.

Not even sure what to expect, really, but the bolded section is exactly what I'm interested in reading about (and hope others will be too). Hey, sometimes it's impossible to really put into words what affects you so personally. Moreover, perhaps that's why; the artists have managed to effectively put into words what has always been there with you, left unsaid!

I had just hoped this wouldn't degenerate into a "list an artist" thread.

Feb 16, 2008 at 7:10 PM Post #9 of 19
Josh Davis (DJ Shadow)

Quote:

Originally Posted by GlendaleViper /img/forum/go_quote.gif
the artists have managed to effectively put into words what has always been there with you, left unsaid!

The amazing thing is that DJ Shadow's first album, Endtroducing..... can evoke all such feelings and emotions without saying a single word or plucking a single string!

Feb 16, 2008 at 7:27 PM Post #11 of 19
Quote:

Originally Posted by goldenratiophi
The amazing thing is that DJ Shadow's first album, Endtroducing..... can evoke all such feelings and emotions without saying a single word or plucking a single string!

Good point, fella. There are a number of artists I'm very into and who are capable of evoking strong emotions through simple (and yet so unbelievably complex) notation - or in your example, arrangement. Sadly, many people are incapable of seeing beyond the "just a DJ" stigma.

At any rate, there's a reason we're so passionate about music and not just poetry, right? Much of the music I listen to is either instrumental or very light on lyrics. Don't feel restricted by words, folks. Art is a wonderful thing!

Feb 16, 2008 at 9:16 PM Post #12 of 19
John Lennon, Stevie Ray Vaughn, David Lanz. I've not given this a more complete thought but these artists speak to my spirit. They transcend entertainment and stimulate passion. John with word, SRV with raw emotion and David with his soul.

Feb 16, 2008 at 11:21 PM Post #14 of 19
Great post, I hope this adds more in depth conversation to the music we enjoy so I will gladly add to this discussion in hopes that it continues with much thought.

I would have to say that Isaac Brock stands out most here. He plays (or played) in Iron and Wine, Modest Mouse and Sunset Rubdown, and I think 2 more bands.

His music captivates me firstly because it is so unpredictable. For example, in the intro to 3rd Planet he starts a riff and then he throws in strange wavers in the music. The style of unpredictability just fits so well with his lyrics, which is the second (first) reason I like him so much.
His lyrics have great word play in them. He points out so many things in the world that are just bad, but he doesn't just say it.he infers it through sarcasm and sometimes through stories. It really makes me think about the people I hang out with and how I act. For example he points out the hypocrisy of people a lot. How they say one thing and then he points out their actions that do so little. He never condemns, but he just says it for us to judge. Then he would probably make fun of us for judging when we deserve to judge. This type of sad sarcasm really makes me feel sorry for the people who don't even contemplate their life, and it motivates me to act according to my beliefs.

Another thing I like about his lyrics is that he isn't afraid. He doesn't cower away from controversial topics, and he isn't ashamed of what he believes. Yet he doesn't force what he believes down other's throats. He just states what he believes and why.

All in all his music captivates me with the sound and it lets me think about life in general, deeper than I would have without him. And it motivates me to not be afraid of deeper questions and conversations. It also has motivated me to look at my life more in retrospection, so that next time I can act according to my beliefs.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back