the most affordable but decent portable amp
Jan 1, 2007 at 9:46 AM Post #46 of 51
Quote:

Originally Posted by IEATTEFLON /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Hi Andrea.. what did you feel was wrong with the sound? The only gripe I have is that a lone opamp driving ground gives a weird echoy soundstage. Not very true to the recording. I have less of a problem with the pimeta since it is buffered.

The "skeletal" bass, and mostly, an overly analytical, slightly "mechanical" midrange that lacked presence and intimacy. Lastly, the treble was unrefined at least with up to 12V.

IMO these issues don't necessarily affect the Pimeta-like design (which is a different one indeed). In fact I would doubtlessly say that my Portaphile X^3 with output buffers and LT1210 sounded more natural than the Go-Vibe. I compared them vis-à-vis and it was immediately apparent!

Jan 1, 2007 at 11:52 AM Post #48 of 51
Quote:

The "skeletal" bass, and mostly, an overly analytical, slightly "mechanical" midrange that lacked presence and intimacy. Lastly, the treble was unrefined at least with up to 12V.

From the pictures I see only 1 lytic as the bulk capacitance. Could explain why the bass would seem skeletal. Do you like the sound with 24volts?

Jan 1, 2007 at 2:52 PM Post #50 of 51
Quote:

Originally Posted by IEATTEFLON /img/forum/go_quote.gif
From the pictures I see only 1 lytic as the bulk capacitance. Could explain why the bass would seem skeletal. Do you like the sound with 24volts?

When I modded the amp I also replaced that 330uF/25V Panasonic FC with a 470uF/35V Panasonic FM paralleled with another 330uF/25V FM. Nothing changes... The bass remained too restrained, a bit "choked".

I liked the sound better with 24V & the standard chips, it became more refined. However I liked the amp still more with my custom chips (from memory, AD45048 and LMH6654 was best) powered at 12V.

Jan 1, 2007 at 2:52 PM Post #51 of 51
Quote:

Originally Posted by Teflon /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Uh, guys. I got some odd results Googling 'govibe'

Odd, indeed. Just like the amp.
biggrin.gif

Users who are viewing this thread

Back