the most affordable but decent portable amp
Dec 31, 2006 at 3:30 AM Post #31 of 51
Quote:

Originally Posted by lutwey /img/forum/go_quote.gif
i just bought two headphones........a set back of 230usd

so, should i just save up for some cmoys or go vibes???

still got to have them line in/out,mini to mini and something else,right??

thnx for all the help though............i apreciate it...seriously!!!!

Lutwey, if you have invested that much money in phones, I think you have obligated yourself to either not using an amp or buying one that does justice to your headphones. Just my two cents worth. At a minimum, you should go for a GoVibe with solid interconnect/dock.

IMO, wasting 20 bucks on an ineffective amp is a worse expenditure than spending 85 bucks on a quality component. . Thanks.

Dec 31, 2006 at 4:36 AM Post #33 of 51
lutwey, brandonink hit the nail on the head - you've got some good cans there, treat 'em right.

You're moving fast around these parts, dude. Really fast. You're doing the right thing by educating yourself here, but you've got to save a bit more cash so you don't make any missteps. Slow down.

When using a DAP, you must use a line-out dock to get the best possible sound. This is the only way to bypass your DAP's inferior amp. An decent entry-level line-out dock is the Turbo Diabolous V made by Head-Fi member TURBO. It costs $50, and is well worth it. Send him a PM for pics & details.

Next, you need an amp that can power those Senns. When I replied to your post about Cmoys, I did so without looking at what cans you were going to match the Cmoy with. I honestly don't think a Cmoy is powerful enough to satisfy those Senn's demands. Sorry!

I would also recommend a V5 Go-Vibe. You can try it with the 9V battery and, if that's not enough juice, you can pick up the recommended wall-wart power supply later on. Contact Head-Fier Tigger (Norm) to get to the Go-Vibe website for more details. The standard V5 can be had for $75. If you pick up the wall-wart later on, it will set you back another $25.

Yup, this hobby costs, my friend. You got yourself into it, though!
wink.gif

We'll try to help as much as we can. We've given you some cheap options here. If you cannot swing these purchases right now, save up 'til you can. They'll be "the right" (well, at least they won't be "the wrong"
biggrin.gif
) choices for budget/starter gear that you may wish to (someday) upgrade, but will probably never regret. zD
etysmile.gif

Dec 31, 2006 at 4:49 PM Post #36 of 51
I think a pair of 300 ohm cans would have a problem being powered by a simple Cmoy. 9V really isn't going to "cut it", IMHO. Plus, my Go-Vibe sounds better than any of the several Cmoy's I have owned (3 - all from different builders) and lutwey will have the option of buying the Elpac power supply to really add some power to the amp when he saves up the additional $25. I don't need the Elpac w/my Grados, so a 9V Go-Vibe is fine for my needs, but those who have added the Elpac swear by the dramatic change it makes in the amp's capabilities. I'm just trying to give Ali-G, I mean . . . lutwey . . . some good options that allow upgrading, without selling off the equipment he buys now, in the future. zD
etysmile.gif

Dec 31, 2006 at 4:51 PM Post #37 of 51
The "Mystery" Xtra X-1 amp seems to be flavour of the month for sub $100 amps at the moment.

Dec 31, 2006 at 9:58 PM Post #38 of 51
Quote:

I think a pair of 300 ohm cans would have a problem being powered by a simple Cmoy. 9V really isn't going to "cut it", IMHO. Plus, my Go-Vibe sounds better than any of the several Cmoy's I have owned (3 - all from different builders)

I'm sorry but I have breadboarded several govibe5 type circuits and I don't really hear a difference other than an artificial soundstage when powering my HD600. 9v powered amplifiers are fine as long as the gain is high enough for them. Also, did the cmoys that youre comparing to the govibe have input protection capacitors? Govibe does not have this which is why they sound decent.

Dec 31, 2006 at 10:01 PM Post #39 of 51
I have the 580s, which are also 300ohm. I do agree that a go-vibe isnt the best option for these. It just lacks the power to push these to a loud enough volume for some music.

It does a decent job though, its FOR SURE better then no amp at all or a Boostaroo.

Im trying a new opamp in my govibe, just to see what a tad more power can do. However, i am looking for a tube type amp to get my feet wet.

Dec 31, 2006 at 10:56 PM Post #40 of 51
thnx for all the help....................QUICK RECAP

so the options ihave are the cmoys', go vibes and xtra1?????
i could get them now............buti want to enjoy my phones first w/out them so i would know the value of 'em with out an amp

i lied i do have like another 100 usd but not really feeling spendin' it now

might get one after several weeks w line-out included

thnx again...............HAPPY NEW YEAR
smily_headphones1.gif

Jan 1, 2007 at 12:39 AM Post #41 of 51
Quote:

Originally Posted by IEATTEFLON /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I'm sorry but I have breadboarded several govibe5 type circuits and I don't really hear a difference other than an artificial soundstage when powering my HD600. 9v powered amplifiers are fine as long as the gain is high enough for them. Also, did the cmoys that youre comparing to the govibe have input protection capacitors? Govibe does not have this which is why they sound decent.

Now that is interesting. I really felt like there was something "wrong" with the Go-Vibe v5, no matter what the op-amps...

Jan 1, 2007 at 2:25 AM Post #42 of 51
Hi Andrea.. what did you feel was wrong with the sound? The only gripe I have is that a lone opamp driving ground gives a weird echoy soundstage. Not very true to the recording. I have less of a problem with the pimeta since it is buffered.

I am really taking the opinions of people saying the govibe beats down a cmoy with a grain of salt. I simply do not hear an improvement compared to the cmoy if I take out the input protection capacitors. (tangent cranky opamp cmoy with mini3 values). However.. its more of a coloration which some people might like.

Jan 1, 2007 at 2:37 AM Post #43 of 51
Quote:

Originally Posted by Romanee /img/forum/go_quote.gif
IF your budget is under $100, I'd strongly recommend the GoVibe5 more than the LDM or LDM+. The GV5 is more spacious, has better defined bass and cleaner, more extended highs.

X2, and if you ever need a home amp you can add the psu and get better sound w/o the battery cost.

Jan 1, 2007 at 3:08 AM Post #44 of 51
Not to belabor this, but if you are going to do the amp, part of your budget must be allocated for your lineout dock.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back