The most acute case of gear lust you've ever had
Mar 12, 2011 at 10:48 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 1

Paganini Alfredo

500+ Head-Fier
Back in July last year I came down with the most horrible case of wanting something (Audeze's LCD-2)... probably worse than when I was a child wanting a new game for Christmas or on my birthday. Even when I ordered my first pair of hi-fi headphones and subsequent line of HR amps, never before had I felt such yearning, longing, a horrible sensation of wanting something I didn't have.

I am not materialistic. I'm not an average consumer who buys things to satisfy my emotional needs (except for this? I still don't know if I'm just wanting the best sound... that's what I tell myself!). The hype buildup concerning this headphone I wanted so bad did nothing but fuel the fire and started a negative feedback cycle of wanting.

It felt like I won the lottery (I'm not kidding) when I snagged a pair off of the used forum here and had them in less than a week. I remember the day they were supposed to show up. I had hardly slept the night before and since the UPS truck could come at any point during the morning I stayed put by the front door, hopelessly, praying for the sound of a heavy truck to lumber by. I was too tired to even appreciate them!

Was this madness worth it? It certainly made my life interesting! But oh how it hurt, and I think I learned a lesson. No, I don't think it was and I'm certainly less drool-worthy of reports of gear/headphones on the forums than I was before.

So... share your stories of lustful longing for gear that you were sure would change your life! And did it? What have you learned from expecting too much in the past?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back