The more I listen to my E4C's the less I like my DT770's
Sep 15, 2005 at 9:34 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 11

wakeride74

Headphoneus Supremus
I'm not sure what to make of this but My E4's seem to sound WAY better than my DT770-250. The DT770 has them licked in soundstage but the over exaggerated bass and sharp highs is not worth the soundstage gained.

I don't always like having these stuck in my ears so is there another closed can that is similar to the E4C sound???

Sep 15, 2005 at 9:39 PM Post #2 of 11
Quote:

Originally Posted by wakeride74
I'm not sure what to make of this but My E4's seem to sound WAY better than my DT770-250. The DT770 has them licked in soundstage but the over exaggerated bass and sharp highs is not worth the soundstage gained.

I don't always like having these stuck in my ears so is there another closed can that is similar to the E4C sound???

I think the AKG K271S is close to the E4.

Sep 15, 2005 at 10:17 PM Post #3 of 11
Interesting. To my ears, the E4 has sharper highs than the DT770, though not by much. It doesn't have nearly the same impact and fun factor, not to mention soundstage, dynamics, bass, etc. But, I've come to the conclusion that the E4 and my ears just don't gel. Blame it on a bad seal, my own HRTF's, whatever - I'm probably not getting the same sound that you guys are getting, hence my disappointment with them.

But, I do prefer the UM2 to the DT770 by a very good margin, and if the E4, in properly adapted ears, sounds as good as the UM2, then I can definitely see where you're coming from.

Still, the DT770 is a very fun, if unbalanced, headphone, that is practically unbeatable within it's own niche (movies, gaming, bass-heavy music).

Sep 15, 2005 at 11:07 PM Post #4 of 11
Quote:

Originally Posted by catscratch
Interesting. To my ears, the E4 has sharper highs than the DT770, though not by much. It doesn't have nearly the same impact and fun factor, not to mention soundstage, dynamics, bass, etc. But, I've come to the conclusion that the E4 and my ears just don't gel. Blame it on a bad seal, my own HRTF's, whatever - I'm probably not getting the same sound that you guys are getting, hence my disappointment with them.

But, I do prefer the UM2 to the DT770 by a very good margin, and if the E4, in properly adapted ears, sounds as good as the UM2, then I can definitely see where you're coming from.

Still, the DT770 is a very fun, if unbalanced, headphone, that is practically unbeatable within it's own niche (movies, gaming, bass-heavy music).

You have to take into consideration that this is at work only where I am using my Iriver>SM3 set up and the tri-flange on the e4's. I think IEM's just can't have the soundstage an over ear can have.

I'd say the e4c's are way more fun and involving than the DT770's, I'm really finding myself appreciating those only for the soundstage.

Sep 16, 2005 at 1:05 AM Post #6 of 11
Quote:

Originally Posted by catscratch

What tips are you using? The various tips change the sound quite a bit. I love my E4 but I don't much care for any of the tips other than the foam.

Wakeride,

Yeah, the E4 is rather seductive that way... I find myself prefering them to my speakers for a good portion of my music collection. This never happened with the E5...
biggrin.gif

Sep 16, 2005 at 1:11 AM Post #7 of 11
When I got my A900s I preferred them way more to the E4s... haven't really looked back since moving on to the L3000s
biggrin.gif
, the E4s really have been sitting in my drawer since I went all Audio Technica crazy. Been thinking about pairing them with a DAP if I ever get around to one.

Sep 16, 2005 at 2:59 AM Post #8 of 11
Quote:

Originally Posted by gshan
wakeride74, do you find the mids (ex. vocals) of the 770s a little less upfront in comparison to the Shures?

I find them a lot less upfront by comparison... huge difference IMO

bobeau - Do you think the A900 would be an upgrade from the DT770?? Many put them on the same playing field... How's that wing support thing for comfort and durability??

Sep 16, 2005 at 3:10 AM Post #9 of 11
coming from er4p/er4s background i love e4s, and despite what alot of guys sound, i dont mind them out of my ipod...
though i do notice the ipod piano bug, whch did annoy me. WIth rock music they rock!

Sep 16, 2005 at 3:50 AM Post #10 of 11
Quote:

Originally Posted by wakeride74
bobeau - Do you think the A900 would be an upgrade from the DT770?? Many put them on the same playing field... How's that wing support thing for comfort and durability??

Never listened to the Beyers, but as you say people class them together so I thought it would be worth mentioning. Compared to the Shures I felt the only drawbacks were a somewhat bloated bass and recessed mids, but the common blu-tack/cotton mod helped bunches.

The comfort was great though the wings certainly didn't seem all that durable. I wouldn't carelessly toss them in a backback.

Sep 16, 2005 at 7:54 AM Post #11 of 11
I have to admit the more I listen to E4 the more I like it...
The bass weakness reduced listening to them (I don't use the bass boost eq on the iPod anymore). Surely an improvement due to the burn in (intended as psycolocigal process)...
The thing I noticed is that E4 reproduce the bass in a good way when bass frequecies are not so crowded (jazz, acoustic, electronic, some pop music), but has great diffuculty in resolving the bass when the the bass is "buried into the mix" (rock, metal, some classicl music)...

Users who are viewing this thread

Back