THE MOO DISEASE!! OH NOES
Oct 16, 2008 at 2:17 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 16

david21

100+ Head-Fier
So I went to go do my civic duty today and give blood since the Red Cross showed up at my campus today. I was actually looking forward to donating, BUT it seems that I was disqualified because I lived in Europe for more than 5 years. Neither me nor my health professor knew about this rule! It sucks that I can't donate blood... it sucks even more that I didn't get a slice of the free pizza offered to donors
frown.gif
I wonder how many people are aware of this.

--------------------------
American Red Cross

There is now evidence from a small number of case reports involving patients and laboratory animal studies that vCJD can be transmitted through transfusion. There is no test for vCJD in humans that could be used to screen blood donors and to protect the blood supply. This means that blood programs must take special precautions to keep vCJD out of the blood supply by avoiding collections from those who have been where this disease is found.

At this time, the American Red Cross donor eligibility rules related to vCJD are as follows
You are not eligible to donate if:
From January 1, 1980, through December 31, 1996, you spent (visited or lived) a cumulative time of 3 months or more, in the United Kingdom (UK), or
From January 1, 1980, to present, you had a blood transfusion in any country(ies) in the (UK). The UK includes any of the countries listed below.
•Channel Islands
•England
•Falkland Islands
•Gibraltar
•Isle of Man
•Northern Ireland
•Scotland
•Wales

You were a member of the of the U.S. military, a civilian military employee, or a dependent of a member of the U.S. military who spent a total time of 6 months on or associated with a military base in any of the following areas during the specified time frames
•From 1980 through 1990 - Belgium, the Netherlands (Holland), or Germany
•From 1980 through 1996 - Spain, Portugal, Turkey, Italy or Greece.

You spent (visited or lived) a cumulative time of 5 years or more from January 1, 1980, to present, in any combination of country(ies) in Europe, including
•in the UK from 1980 through 1996 as listed in above
•on or associated with military bases as described above, and
•in other countries in Europe as listed below:
* Albania
* Austria
* Belgium
* Bosnia/Herzegovina
* Bulgaria
* Croatia
* Czech Republic
* Denmark
* Finland
* France
* Germany
* Greece
* Hungary
* Ireland (Republic of)
* Italy
* Kosovo (Federal Republic of Yugoslavia)
* Liechtenstein
* Luxembourg
* Macedonia
* Montenegro (Federal Republic of Yugoslavia)
* Netherlands (Holland)
* Norway
* Poland
* Portugal
* Romania
* Serbia (Federal Republic of Yugoslavia)
* Slovak Republic (Slovakia)
* Slovenia
* Spain
* Sweden
* Switzerland
* Turkey
* Yugoslavia (Federal Republic includes Kosovo, Montenegro, and Serbia)

Oct 16, 2008 at 2:44 AM Post #2 of 16
You can also not donate blood if you have ever had any homosexual relations
or
if you have ever spent time in prison in the last 12 months.

"You have ever injected yourself with drugs or other substances not prescribed by a physician,
You are a man and have had sex with another man, even once, "

" You have been held in a correctional facility (including jails, prisons and/or detention centers) for more than 72 hours in the last 12 months, "

the red cross has a decent amount of very out dated rules but they refuse to update them.

Oct 16, 2008 at 8:07 AM Post #6 of 16
I had a transfusion in Mid December of last year (2 units); I am nix till then. Luckily, I am B+ (9% of pop) , but my grandmother has to be careful because she is AB-(1%) and has some sort of autosomal condition that she can only receive AB- type blood.

It is a shame that they turn so many away rather than developing some serious testing. The blood banks are in need and it is almost as if they think ignoring the problem will fix it.

Oct 16, 2008 at 9:45 AM Post #7 of 16
Quote:

Originally Posted by -=Germania=- /img/forum/go_quote.gif
It is a shame that they turn so many away rather than developing some serious testing. The blood banks are in need and it is almost as if they think ignoring the problem will fix it.

Actually, they do "some serious testing" - I know, I used to work in a blood bank. They are high stress, high pressure places, and problems with those who give and/or receive blood are a constant worry, not to mention lawsuits and charges of negligence. The FDA mandates all of those silly, outdated rules, so the blood banks have no choice.

I'm glad to be doing something else for a living...
icon10.gif
icon10.gif
icon10.gif

Laz

Oct 16, 2008 at 3:57 PM Post #9 of 16
Yup. I studied in England for a year, so no donations from me.

Oct 16, 2008 at 4:09 PM Post #11 of 16
I think that those restrictions are needed. The conditions are about de same in Canada. The point is, of the people who can actually give blood, only few do it. The best you guys can do is to talk others into doing it. I give blood about twice a year and should do more, I think I can give blood 4 times a year. My brother can't give so I try to give for both of us.

Oct 16, 2008 at 4:54 PM Post #12 of 16
Quote:

Originally Posted by Lazarus Short /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Actually, they do "some serious testing" - I know, I used to work in a blood bank. They are high stress, high pressure places, and problems with those who give and/or receive blood are a constant worry, not to mention lawsuits and charges of negligence. The FDA mandates all of those silly, outdated rules, so the blood banks have no choice.

I'm glad to be doing something else for a living...
icon10.gif
icon10.gif
icon10.gif

Laz

The FDA does not mandate the rule of you cannot donate if you are a homosexual male. that is a Red Cross rule. The red cross has been banned from a few college campuses in the States in protest to the no male homosexuals being able to donate and the red cross has publicly stated that it has no plans to change that rule.

Still stats show what like 5 to 10% of Men are Homosexuals in the States. Gotta think about how many of those 5-10% of rare blood they have.

If i was dying and needed blood I wouldnt give a crap if the blood came from someone who enjoys man love.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back