The modern Progressive Rock appreciation thread...
Jan 2, 2008 at 2:38 AM Post #46 of 75
I noticed that this thread has dropped off a bit and figured I should give it a good bump seeing how there is a lot of great music listed here.

Jan 2, 2008 at 10:11 AM Post #47 of 75
Check out Opeth's new live album "The Roundhouse Tapes".

Can't get much better... this days.

Jan 2, 2008 at 2:33 PM Post #48 of 75
Can't not get bored listening to PT, DT, PoS and similar bands..
Some modern prog bands i have enjoyed, besides math and post, are The Eunoia Plague, the japanese Coaltar Of The Deepers(a bit exaggerated though..) and Pax Cecilia.

Jan 3, 2008 at 11:18 AM Post #49 of 75
I've had Riverside's "Second Life Syndrome" for over a year now, but didn't really get into it.

After cruising this thread again, I listened to it all the way through. Then 5x more since.

It never ceases to amaze me when an album can just "click" with you out of nowhere. Even if you've had it for a while.

Jan 3, 2008 at 1:09 PM Post #50 of 75
Quote:

Originally Posted by 3DCadman /img/forum/go_quote.gif
It never ceases to amaze me when an album can just "click" with you out of nowhere. Even if you've had it for a while.

The same thing happened to me with "Frances the Mute". I had that CD for well over a year listening to it maybe once or twice not feeling all that good about it. Then one day I popped it into my car stereo and liked it instantly. It's nice when that happens. It's kinda like when you find a twenty in an old pair of jeans, ya know.
cool.gif

Jan 3, 2008 at 8:45 PM Post #51 of 75
Second life syndrome..is like a snake ..once it gets in..(your head)..it kills you...beautiful cd...

Jul 9, 2008 at 12:56 PM Post #52 of 75
Check out the swedish band Seventh Wonder, they got a new album out soon (Mercy Falls). But in the mean time check out there prevous records (Become - 2005) and (Waiting In The Wings - 2006).
If you like progressive music like Dream Theater you wount be dissapointed. The singer has a really good voice.

My new favorite band for now.

Jul 29, 2008 at 10:44 PM Post #54 of 75
Quote:

Originally Posted by Mangoman81 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Check out the swedish band Seventh Wonder, they got a new album out soon (Mercy Falls). But in the mean time check out there prevous records (Become - 2005) and (Waiting In The Wings - 2006).
If you like progressive music like Dream Theater you wount be dissapointed. The singer has a really good voice.

My new favorite band for now.

Bringing this thread back again... Thank you for the recommendation, I'm really enjoying Seventh Wonder now. Also found Sun Caged and Stride. Stride is great for all you DT fans; very talented folks.

Jul 30, 2008 at 2:54 AM Post #55 of 75
A couple of other prog metal recommendations:

Maudlin of the Well - Bath\Leaving your body map
Disillusion - Back to Times of Splendor
Evergrey - In Search of Truth
Subterranean Masquerade - Suspended Animation Dreams (probably the best prog release EVER)
Sieges Even - The Art of Navigating by the Stars
Nightingale - Alive Again: The Breathing Shadow Part IV
Solefald - In Harmonia Universali

And prog rock:

A.C.T - Last Epic
3 - Wake Pig
Green Carnation - Acoustic Verses

Nov 4, 2008 at 12:57 AM Post #58 of 75
Pain of Salvation took quite a while for it to "click" with me as well, but that's just the thing. It's generally bands that take a while to truly understand and "click" that end up becoming my favorite bands. Anyways, here is a small list of Prog that is on heavy rotation on any given time in my car:

Pain of Salvation
Dream Theater/Liquid Tension Experiment
Opeth
Shadow Gallery
Pictorial Wand
Seventh Wonder
Suspyre
Symphony X
Circus Maximus
Mastodon

And for those who haven't heard, I highly recommend sitting down and giving Pictorial Wand's first album a listen. Just sit down and let it play through from finish to end. It's a progressive rock masterpiece. I also highly recommend Suspyre, Shadow Gallery, and Mastodon, a few bands I have yet to see mentioned.

Nov 4, 2008 at 4:15 AM Post #59 of 75
Quote:

Originally Posted by The Rover /img/forum/go_quote.gif
One could argue how it's not really "modern progressive rock". Good album though.

Not even by virtue of being recorded in 2008? Clutching At Straws, here...
beyersmile.png

It is more classic prog rock true...

Not sure if its been posted but this youtube clip is quite good

embedded it's mono low-rez
ERROR: If you can see this, then YouTube is down or you don't have Flash installed.

Jan 26, 2009 at 6:09 AM Post #60 of 75
Quote:

Originally Posted by 3DCadman /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I've had Riverside's "Second Life Syndrome" for over a year now, but didn't really get into it.

After cruising this thread again, I listened to it all the way through. Then 5x more since.

I have had the same problem with that album, I guess I'll have to give it another listen and see if it clicks for me.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back