The "mod your Zhalou" Thread
Mar 19, 2007 at 10:47 PM Post #1,426 of 2,143
You may have blown the fuse. Look at the IEC power jack with the power cable removed on the back of the Zhaolu. Just to the left of where the power cable inserts, you should see a diagram of a fuse. Under that plastic panel is the fuse. Pull it out and see if the fuse is blown. If it is there should be a spare clipped into that fuse holder. Good luck!

PS: Make sure that you have the opamps inserted properly before you power it back on. There should be an indentation on one side of the opamp as well as the opamp socket. Make sure they both are on the same side.

Happy Listening!

Quote:

Originally Posted by Rakukojin /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I just changed the op-amps on my Zhaolu D2C but now it won't start up. I think maybe I put one in wrong or something and fried it. Is there anything I can do to fix it?
frown.gif

Mar 19, 2007 at 11:04 PM Post #1,427 of 2,143
Quote:

Originally Posted by Zenja /img/forum/go_quote.gif
You could ask some people that know more here
smily_headphones1.gif
I didn't just guess with the wiring either though, heh. I'm pretty sure I did it right.

What I did was google the number that's written on the transformer to find Amveco's page for the transformer. They have a diagram with the colors there. That'll tell you which ones are primary and secondary, and which ones are paired with which. I'm guessing that that's all you really need to know, and that the exact order of the wires isn't important. If I still had the online diagram for the transformer, I'd tell you what I did. Basically, the two + wires on the primary go on one outer pin on the power board and the other two go to the other outer pin (so pins 1 and 4 on the primary connector). The secondaries are paired up, so there'll be a +, -, +, -. The + and - pairs go next to each other on the secondary connector (pin 1 and 2, then pin 3 and 4 for the other + - pair). I'm pretty sure this is right but I'm not entirely sure if the order of the pairings matters (when connecting to the power board). That is, I'm pretty sure that knowing which wires are paired up is important (there's two two separate secondary windings, so two pairs of wires), but I don't know if it matters whether one pair is connected to pin 1 and 2, or to pin 3 and 4.

pheww... Finally pulled the trigger. Got 32 dollars off from their winter sale. I chose the fedex overnight shipping, so it should come in tomorrow... I will let you know if I should have any problem installing the new unit. Wish me luck
icon10.gif

Mar 19, 2007 at 11:20 PM Post #1,428 of 2,143
Quote:

Originally Posted by abs@nilenet.com /img/forum/go_quote.gif
You may have blown the fuse. Look at the IEC power jack with the power cable removed on the back of the Zhaolu. Just to the left of where the power cable inserts, you should see a diagram of a fuse. Under that plastic panel is the fuse. Pull it out and see if the fuse is blown. If it is there should be a spare clipped into that fuse holder. Good luck!

PS: Make sure that you have the opamps inserted properly before you power it back on. There should be an indentation on one side of the opamp as well as the opamp socket. Make sure they both are on the same side.

Happy Listening!

It doesn't look like the fuse is blown
frown.gif

Mar 20, 2007 at 12:05 AM Post #1,429 of 2,143
Quote:

frown.gif

Did you do the cap bypass mod? Doing so in combination of putting the opamps in the wrong way can blow the opamps, AFAIK. try to replace the old opamps, but MAKE SURE they are placed in the correct orientation. Good luck!

Mar 20, 2007 at 3:55 AM Post #1,431 of 2,143
Quote:

frown.gif

I blew a fuse in my D2.0c and it did not "look" separated or blown. Make sure you have the Op-amps in properly and try a new fuse or the spare one , of the proper amperage ofcourse. EDIT also ORI has mentioned the poor connection of the fuse tray , I think (yes I have not done it yet) and to resolder it.

Mar 20, 2007 at 6:13 AM Post #1,432 of 2,143
Quote:

Originally Posted by Sinwerm /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I blew a fuse in my D2.0c and it did not "look" separated or blown. Make sure you have the Op-amps in properly and try a new fuse or the spare one , of the proper amperage ofcourse.

You're right, apparently my fuse blew but it didn't look like it did. I swapped it for the spare and now it works like it did before, except slightly better sounding now with the LM4562NA op-amps. Thanks to all for your help
biggrin.gif

Mar 20, 2007 at 8:58 AM Post #1,433 of 2,143
Hi guys, just wonder where do you get the zapfilter from- i am from Australia and the price is$400!!!!. Where can i get it cheaper? Thanks.
thule spirit cd player/zhaolu2.5/sennheiser PX200.

Mar 20, 2007 at 10:12 AM Post #1,434 of 2,143
Partsconnexion carries the 120v version of zapfilter. Not sure if that is suitable for Australian appliances. They are having a pretty big winter sale right now. I got mine for $180ish not including shipping.

Mar 20, 2007 at 5:33 PM Post #1,435 of 2,143
The package just came in!! The PSU and the transformer came separated, and I have no idea how to connect them
confused.gif
? Also for the live wires, what gauge should I use? I can cannibolize a lamp cord or so for this purpose, but I wonder if it will be best to do so? At last, is there a possibility to secure the components without drilling holes in the case? I don't own a hand drill
redface.gif

Thanks a lot for anyone who can help.

Edit: Zenja, can you provide me with the diagram that you spoke of? I tried searching for the transformer number and nothing came up. Mine is made by AMVECO as well, with the number being: 62063-P2S02

Thanks!

Nevermind, found this: http://www.amveco.com/Miniature_Low_...sformers_2.htm Is this what you were talking about?

Mar 20, 2007 at 8:05 PM Post #1,436 of 2,143
Quote:

Originally Posted by SonicDawg /img/forum/go_quote.gif
The package just came in!! The PSU and the transformer came separated, and I have no idea how to connect them
confused.gif
? Also for the live wires, what gauge should I use? I can cannibolize a lamp cord or so for this purpose, but I wonder if it will be best to do so? At last, is there a possibility to secure the components without drilling holes in the case? I don't own a hand drill
redface.gif

Edit: Zenja, can you provide me with the diagram that you spoke of? I tried searching for the transformer number and nothing came up. Mine is made by AMVECO as well, with the number being: 62063-P2S02

Thanks!

Nevermind, found this: http://www.amveco.com/Miniature_Low_...sformers_2.htm Is this what you were talking about?

I posted some pics a while back of this transformer used with a 120V wall supply. Post #1382

Mar 20, 2007 at 8:09 PM Post #1,437 of 2,143
Quote:

Originally Posted by cotdt /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I posted some pics a while back of this transformer used with a 120V wall supply. Post #1382

Thanks!

Also, what wires do you recommend for the AC connection?

Mar 20, 2007 at 9:26 PM Post #1,438 of 2,143
Quote:

Thanks!

Also, what wires do you recommend for the AC connection?

i just used 16awg speaker wires, because that was all I had.

Mar 20, 2007 at 9:38 PM Post #1,439 of 2,143
Quote:

confused.gif
redface.gif

Argh, I ordered mine roughly a week or two ago and they didn't mention any sale. I paid the $215 regular price. It's probably in their newsletter I guess.
I guess you could glue the components or something but you're better off borrowing a drill. I used 20 gauge silver plated copper (Silver Sonic from partsconnexion) for all the hookups, including the power. 20 gauge might be pushing a little toward the thin side for the power wires, but I don't think it's a big deal. I think more important here is that the insulation on the wire is good enough to not somehow get chewed/melted away for the wire to short to the chassis. You have lots of possibilities here.

Quote:

Thanks!

Yes, that is the diagram I found. Here's how I connected it, hopefully someone can confirm (for 120V operation).

Primary side (primary wires off the transformer, into the primary connector on board):
- Yellow+Red -> pin1
- Black+Violet -> pin4

Secondary side:
- Green -> pin1
- Red -> pin2
- Brown -> pin3
- Blue -> pin4

Mar 20, 2007 at 10:52 PM Post #1,440 of 2,143
Wow... Finally turned in my last final paper of the quarter, and on my way when to Ace Hardware to pick up an electric drill and some OFC cables, and some nuts and bolts... it's gona happen soon...
evil_smiley.gif

But I gotta sleep first. Barely got any sleep at all last night working over the paper!!
mad.gif

Users who are viewing this thread

Back