The "mod your Zhalou" Thread
Sep 14, 2006 at 3:52 PM Post #736 of 2,143
About the Zapfilter - Just spoke with Partsconnexion again, and apparently the Zapfilter has been on backorder for 2 1/2 months, and they are having trouble getting in contact with the producers. So it could mean that the Zapfilter is out of production or that they are just very slow with the process. Hopefully it's the latter. The other alternative would be to order directly from the Zapfilter site itself but that'd be more expensive...

Sep 14, 2006 at 5:29 PM Post #737 of 2,143
Crap, I need to get one of those for my E5
frown.gif

Sep 14, 2006 at 5:50 PM Post #738 of 2,143
Quote:

Originally Posted by daggerlee
About the Zapfilter - Just spoke with Partsconnexion again, and apparently the Zapfilter has been on backorder for 2 1/2 months, and they are having trouble getting in contact with the producers. So it could mean that the Zapfilter is out of production or that they are just very slow with the process. Hopefully it's the latter. The other alternative would be to order directly from the Zapfilter site itself but that'd be more expensive...

I got a call back after ordering the Zapfilter from Partsconnexion. The sales rep made it sound like it is doubtful that the Zapfilter will be available in the future, at least from Partsconnexion. Bummed me out, for sure. I was planning my initial playlists upon receipt and installation of the Zapfilter. Sigh.

Sep 14, 2006 at 6:35 PM Post #739 of 2,143
Quote:

Originally Posted by skysaxon
I got a call back after ordering the Zapfilter from Partsconnexion. The sales rep made it sound like it is doubtful that the Zapfilter will be available in the future, at least from Partsconnexion. Bummed me out, for sure. I was planning my initial playlists upon receipt and installation of the Zapfilter. Sigh.

crap
frown.gif

What are some other relatively cheap places where I can get a Zapfilter?

Sep 14, 2006 at 8:07 PM Post #740 of 2,143
Well LCAudio sells the Zapfilter for around $200 (after conversion) but they are a european company and all of their Zapfilters are 220V. I am not sure what the process would be to change it to 110V but I imagine it would not be trivial, probably would involve switching out the transformer entirely...

Sep 14, 2006 at 9:39 PM Post #741 of 2,143
Quote:

Originally Posted by daggerlee
Well LCAudio sells the Zapfilter for around $200 (after conversion) but they are a european company and all of their Zapfilters are 220V. I am not sure what the process would be to change it to 110V but I imagine it would not be trivial, probably would involve switching out the transformer entirely...

Changing it from 110 to 220 and vice versa looked very straight forward to me. The transformer has dual primary windings and can be wired for either (at least the one I received could).

Maybe someone could start a group buy?

-R-

PS. Before buying from them, an email could verify that they ship the same transformer so
that this can be easily done.

Sep 15, 2006 at 12:14 AM Post #742 of 2,143
Quote:

Originally Posted by tianguis
Roger, Jon:

There is considerably better resolution and bass control with the 7.2x than my modded Zhaolu 2.0. Over the past three weeks, I've switched them in and out of my system many times, as they sit next to each other, using the same cabling, running off a Felicia balanced power supply. Each time, the 7.2x has impressed with more air, blacker background, greater space. Imaging and instrument placement is far better with the 7.2x.
I'm not slamming the Zhaolu: it's a fine DAC, especially at the price. I loved it. It's outperformed some high-buck DAC's at Raves where I've demoed it. However, I prefer the 7.2x by a wide margin.
The 7.2x takes some serious break-in time. It responds well to heat cycling: run it hard for hours, turn it off and allow to cool, turn it on. Each time there's a "perceived" difference. It "blooms" at about 100 hours but continues to improve. Mine has about 200 hours on it.

Regards,
Larry Welsh

Larry, do you now have Ori modded Zhaolu or the one with cap bypass and op-amp upgrades only?

Have you ever listened to CEC DA53 or Aqvox DAC, which the Citypulse seems to have copied?

Sep 15, 2006 at 2:36 AM Post #743 of 2,143
Quote:

Originally Posted by looser101
Changing it from 110 to 220 and vice versa looked very straight forward to me. The transformer has dual primary windings and can be wired for either (at least the one I received could).

Maybe someone could start a group buy?

-R-

PS. Before buying from them, an email could verify that they ship the same transformer so
that this can be easily done.

Hmm, intriguing! All I know is that the page lists it with a 'Schottsky' power supply, not sure. I e-mailed them today and hopefully they will get back to me soon.

Sep 15, 2006 at 11:34 AM Post #744 of 2,143
being a nobbie, i'v been reading all d zhaolu mod posts here. finaly got up som spunk to do abit of modding on my zhaolu d2. did d cap bypass mod 2day...and...scared d crap outta me! at 1st!! sounded like sh.t wit d highs totaly sibilant n felt like i lost d bottom end!!

kept playing n voila...2hrs later...wow! nvr thought d bass waz flabby b4 but it waz. iz totaly tight now. n d extended high sibilance is gone...! replaced with clean n detailed music. hearing all sortsa small details i havnt noticed b4
lambda.gif

all i gatta say is...muakasssssss! thxs guys. nvr in me wildest dreams would a freebie mod make such a massive difference (esp to an audio noob wit wooden ears). waz so amped i ordered 3 opa2107s to replace d 2604s tat came wit ma unit. i hope d difference would b juz s nice
600smile.gif

great forum u got here. muaahaahaahaa......

Sep 28, 2006 at 6:49 PM Post #746 of 2,143
Got my CS4398 chip today from Eddie. Popped it in and wow, it sounds great with my current set up. The CS4398's warm and bassy signature complements the neutral nature of my K701 and Original Master very well. The previous setup with the AD1852 lent to much of a metallic tone to the music. Highs have been tamed and there's more bass presence.

Can't wait to get my Zapfilter if Partsconnexion ever get them back in stock...

Sep 30, 2006 at 5:52 AM Post #747 of 2,143
Any updates on the Zapfilter situation?

Sep 30, 2006 at 7:04 PM Post #748 of 2,143
What power cables/internconnects have you found that synergyze well witht he dac? (AD1852?). Thanks

Sep 30, 2006 at 8:24 PM Post #749 of 2,143
Quote:

Originally Posted by granodemostasa
What power cables/internconnects have you found that synergyze well witht he dac? (AD1852?). Thanks

mine isn't ori modded but i've tried volex, jelly fish, bolder nitro, bolder summit, blacksand violet, and am currently burning in a jena labs basic

volex... i didn't like it.

jelly fish, very good overall but harsh up top

bolder nitro no good at all, horrible match.

blacksand violet, awesome. transparent and totally black background, which makes for awesome imaging. Most bass out of all of the pc i've tried, maybe almost too much. its a little slow in transients when the music calls for it (i.e. the white stripes
biggrin.gif
) compared to others cables on this dac... this surpirsed me because this cable is extremely fast and dynamic on my amp. i'm thinking the 12 gauge shielded wiring is probably a bit too much for the dac.

bolder summit was probably best out of all the cables i've tried. just did everything right.. but at $500-$600 cable, there's no way i was buying that demo unit.

jena labs basic, currently burning it in but so far so good. seems to do every the violet does right but without the slow transients on certain track. the images have a a little less wieght than the violet, but seems more natural. i only have about 12 hours on this cable, so we'll see if it gets any better as it burns in.

fun stuff
biggrin.gif

Sep 30, 2006 at 9:08 PM Post #750 of 2,143
Thanks, i'll await your impressions (i was about to get a black sands).

Users who are viewing this thread

Back