The "mod your Zhalou" Thread
Sep 11, 2006 at 12:01 AM Post #721 of 2,143
Ah, I didn't realize that "via" was an electrical term (Looked it up on wikipidea).

So, I just connect two wires from the 2 places you marked on the zapfilter to these 2 blue points (Does it matter which wire goes to which pad?):
http://i4.photobucket.com/albums/y14...czapfilter.jpg

Sep 11, 2006 at 3:10 AM Post #722 of 2,143
Quote:

Originally Posted by Azure
Ah, I didn't realize that "via" was an electrical term (Looked it up on wikipidea).

So, I just connect two wires from the 2 places you marked on the zapfilter to these 2 blue points (Does it matter which wire goes to which pad?):
http://i4.photobucket.com/albums/y14...czapfilter.jpg

Nope. See the first white plug that comes from the IEC. I soldered my wires there, under the board. No it doesn't matter which wire goes where.

-R-

Sep 11, 2006 at 9:53 AM Post #723 of 2,143
Quote:

Originally Posted by looser101
The Zapfilter 2 is a high quality, universal DAC output stage so it will work on just about anything. A high quality, well designed, discrete output stage will always trounce an opamp stage IMO. So I suspect the benefit will be just as great.

Do you have a pic of the internals of the 1.3 so I can see?

Some pics are on the zhaolu site but also this form has seen a few.

Sep 12, 2006 at 7:36 PM Post #724 of 2,143
Just ordered my Zapfilter from partsconnexion.com

Right now they are out of stock and expect stock in a few weeks. But the good news is that they are having a 'dogs day' sale, it's a pretty sizeable discount. They have a tollfree number that you can call or you can e-mail them and get a quote.

Sep 12, 2006 at 9:54 PM Post #726 of 2,143
Quote:

Originally Posted by stryker
Has anyone acutally heard the Oritek discrete output mod to this DAC? There's a modded one on A'gon and I was thinking of trying it.

Thats a good friend of mine selling the dac.Overall he prefers the sound of the Citypulse-DA7.2x now.

Sep 13, 2006 at 2:53 AM Post #727 of 2,143
Quote:

Originally Posted by RogerWilco
Thats a good friend of mine selling the dac.Overall he prefers the sound of the Citypulse-DA7.2x now.

Have you heard the Citypulse yet, Roger?

Sep 13, 2006 at 3:09 AM Post #728 of 2,143
Quote:

Very interesting. Especially considering that its in the same ballpark price wise as a Z2.x with Ori Output or Zapfilter output.

I am especially interested in how any of these compare to a CI Audio VDA.2 at roughly twice the price. The VDA.2 uses the superior, high-output 1794 and a far more minimal and cleaner output stage - so it should sound better right? but twice-the-price better?

Sep 13, 2006 at 3:36 AM Post #729 of 2,143
I had the chance to audition the VDA-2 shortly after selling the modified Music Hall with ZF that Sacd lover sold to me. The VDA-2 is excellent and I would easily consider it again, especially for the money. In fact, the only reason I did sell it was becuase I cam across a battery-powered 16-chip DDDac that was superior to both of these sources. Its output comes straight off 16 parallel chips into an Auricap then on to the jacks. No Zap Filter, no opamps, nothing but an Auricap.

I preferred the VDA-2 over the Zap Filter output, at least the one on the Music Hall 25. Sacd Lover has said that the Music Hall with Zap Filter was not as good as his sacdmods 555ES which I assume might have been better because the 555ES uses a balanced, current output dac versus the unbalanced voltage dac in the MH. Matt had to add a resistor and what he needed to do with the output just seemed like a little too much tinkering. It also had a lower voltage output than the 555Es so you needed more gain in your amp or preamp, which I did not like. Lately I've been less impressed with the ZF although it's absolutely a superior to opamp analog stages. It's supposed to be a little temperamental to install.

Sep 13, 2006 at 2:10 PM Post #730 of 2,143
Quote:

Originally Posted by Sean H
Have you heard the Citypulse yet, Roger?

I have not heard it yet sean.I may pick one up soon.Been so busy lately looking at new homes with my wife have not had much time for audio.

Sep 14, 2006 at 4:23 AM Post #731 of 2,143
Quote:

Thats a good friend of mine selling the dac. Overall he prefers the sound of the Citypulse-DA7.2x now.

Never known about his preference.
blink.gif
blink.gif

Sep 14, 2006 at 8:35 AM Post #733 of 2,143
Quote:

That's not Larry selling his Zhaolu, is it?

Anyone have a Citypulse DAC in SoCal for a mini-meet vs. my Ori Zhaolu?

Sep 14, 2006 at 12:15 PM Post #734 of 2,143
Quote:

Originally Posted by Jon L
That's not Larry selling his Zhaolu, is it?

Anyone have a Citypulse DAC in SoCal for a mini-meet vs. my Ori Zhaolu?

No Jon--that is my friend bill--he is who originally told me about the Zhaolu and ori.

He said that the Ori Zhaolu is very good ,but the Citypulse is more resolving in the midrange(hard to believe) and more slam on the bottem.I have not yet heard the Citypulse so i have no idea.

I just know if the Citypulse can do this added with the imaging of the Zhaolu then there might be another winner

Keep in mind too--my friend bill is only 2 channel audio using his computer as a transport.

Sep 14, 2006 at 2:13 PM Post #735 of 2,143
Roger, Jon:

There is considerably better resolution and bass control with the 7.2x than my modded Zhaolu 2.0. Over the past three weeks, I've switched them in and out of my system many times, as they sit next to each other, using the same cabling, running off a Felicia balanced power supply. Each time, the 7.2x has impressed with more air, blacker background, greater space. Imaging and instrument placement is far better with the 7.2x.
I'm not slamming the Zhaolu: it's a fine DAC, especially at the price. I loved it. It's outperformed some high-buck DAC's at Raves where I've demoed it. However, I prefer the 7.2x by a wide margin.
The 7.2x takes some serious break-in time. It responds well to heat cycling: run it hard for hours, turn it off and allow to cool, turn it on. Each time there's a "perceived" difference. It "blooms" at about 100 hours but continues to improve. Mine has about 200 hours on it.

Regards,
Larry Welsh

Users who are viewing this thread

Back