The "mod your Zhalou" Thread
Jul 11, 2006 at 10:06 PM Post #376 of 2,143
Quote:

Originally Posted by Ori
One thing is really working in your favor... My wife is a displaced Juneau gal... She'll kill me if I'm nasty to you!
evil_smiley.gif

No problem. That Zhaolu has taken many by a surprise, myself included!
biggrin.gif

I'm not sure how long she's been away, But tell her I helped build the Mendenhall mall. Juneau is the most beautiful city in Alaska, maybe anywhere. Glad to hear our stateship influences your decision!
biggrin.gif

Does your discrete output mod work with the balanced outputs?

Jul 11, 2006 at 10:20 PM Post #377 of 2,143
Quote:

Originally Posted by swt61
I'm not sure how long she's been away, But tell her I helped build the Mendenhall mall. Juneau is the most beautiful city in Alaska, maybe anywhere. Glad to hear our stateship influences your decision!
biggrin.gif

I learned very quickly: once Alaskan, always Alaskan! She's displaced for over thirty years now but still calls Juneau "home"...
Quote:

Does your discrete output mod work with the balanced outputs?

Yes it does...
biggrin.gif
You just have to ask for the balanced version, which is almost the same minimalistic circuit as the RCA version.

Jul 11, 2006 at 10:24 PM Post #378 of 2,143
Quote:

Originally Posted by Ori
I learned very quickly: once Alaskan, always Alaskan! She's displaced for over thirty years now but still calls Juneau "home"...
Yes it does...
biggrin.gif
You just have to ask for the balanced version, which is almost the same minimalistic circuit as the RCA version.

Yep that's right! Alaskan forever!

I'm drooling on myself over this mod!

Jul 12, 2006 at 8:39 PM Post #379 of 2,143
Only when i thought things could not get much better here comes ori with his descrete output mod.

Running in class a with no feedback.

Well i recieved ori's modded 2.0 dac yesterday.I was going to wait longer before i posted--could not wait.

This dac has reached another level of Transparency.Midrange has nice body with Incredible speed and detail.The bass is well defined and much stronger--this is a much more refined dac now.

This is truly a world class sound to be matched now--don't crawl don't walk run to your nearest ori--
3000smile.gif

Jul 12, 2006 at 8:48 PM Post #380 of 2,143
Can you take some pics of the mod? I've been considering this myself, but am weighing my options.
wink.gif

Jul 12, 2006 at 9:06 PM Post #381 of 2,143
Quote:

Originally Posted by philodox
Can you take some pics of the mod? I've been considering this myself, but am weighing my options.
wink.gif

Ditto
i'm very excited about mine, but the suspense of waiting is killing me! would love to hear impressions on yours (maybe comparisons and pics).

Jul 12, 2006 at 11:11 PM Post #382 of 2,143
I'm also wondering if anyone has considered the ZapFilter Mk2 output stage? It can be purchased from Parts ConneXion [a sponsor here] for around $215 US and has recieved great reviews in lots of CD players and DACs. I wonder how it would compare with what Ori has whipped up?

Jul 12, 2006 at 11:27 PM Post #384 of 2,143
Quote:

Originally Posted by device manager
Anyone have an idea what the benefit the caps,

Eddie adds these caps - and you lucked out!!! The leads of these caps are very long. Bend them so they touch and solder. Done? You've just bypassed the DC-blocking caps - the easy way!
k1000smile.gif

Quote:

resistor, and a possible disconnected diode are doing? It looks like the black diode came unsoldered.

That's a wire with a ferrite bead. Don't touch it!

Jul 12, 2006 at 11:38 PM Post #385 of 2,143
Quote:

Originally Posted by Ori
Eddie adds these caps - and you lucked out!!! The leads of these caps are very long. Bend them so they touch and solder. Done? You've just bypassed the DC-blocking caps - the easy way!
k1000smile.gif

Couldn't I just unsolder those red caps as well, and then use wire in their place?

Quote:

That's a wire with a ferrite bead. Don't touch it!

One end is not soldered. See how it is off the the right of the trace? I assume I need to solder it back. Correct?

Thanks for the info!

Jul 12, 2006 at 11:45 PM Post #386 of 2,143
OMG the traces on the PCB appear to be burnt off in the two areas that I circled in green at the top. They are attached in the top of the pcb though. It's one of those black things that attaches to the big black heatsink. I also see a burnt up area in the middle that is circled in green. A purple sanyo oscon 68/20 cap connects there. What to do?
confused.gif

DSC00425_2.jpg

Jul 13, 2006 at 12:06 AM Post #388 of 2,143
Quote:

Originally Posted by philodox
wink.gif

I have not yet purchased another camara.After falling in the water on a trip my last one has died.I will attempt to get a picture posted though.

Jul 13, 2006 at 12:08 AM Post #390 of 2,143
Quote:

Originally Posted by granodemostasa
Ditto
i'm very excited about mine, but the suspense of waiting is killing me! would love to hear impressions on yours (maybe comparisons and pics).

Your in for a big surprise when you recieve you modded dac from ori.
biggrin.gif

Users who are viewing this thread

Back