The "mod your Zhalou" Thread
Jun 29, 2006 at 2:20 AM Post #241 of 2,143
okay... i got it now, and i'm practicing on the old amp. Am i suppose to resoder a coper wire or something after i take the dc blocking caps off?

Jun 29, 2006 at 9:15 PM Post #242 of 2,143
OKAY... IT'S ALL DONE NOW! WORKING FINE. THANKS FOR THE HELP

all it cost me was: sodering iron, two types of soder, soder remover, flux, wire, wire cutter, flux, stress and permanent emotional damage.

Jun 30, 2006 at 5:07 AM Post #243 of 2,143
Quote:

Originally Posted by granodemostasa
all it cost me was: sodering iron, two types of soder, soder remover, flux, wire, wire cutter, flux, stress and permanent emotional damage.

Dude, congrats!!

Now speaking of emotional damage, I'm still recovering after Zhaolu-fest 2006:

Zhaolu.JPG

Yup...three 2.0's. The bottom two have Ori's mods and the middle is mine unmodded...the top is my 1.3.

The O Man brought his modded units by today and we did some more listening.

RogerWilco, take heed...one of those modded units is yours...and it sounds fantastic in a serious way. In my system (low powered tube amp with old-school speakers) it was open and extended with extremely tight bass
basshead.gif
, beautiful with vocals...I handed mine over to Ori for surgery right then and there
very_evil_smiley.gif

It is a massive improvement over stock to my ears. And stock sounds damn fine. Scary! Mine should be ready soon, will report more when I can spend more quality time with it.

Jun 30, 2006 at 5:09 AM Post #244 of 2,143
Quote:

Man, what a bargain!!!
biggrin.gif
So, was it worth your trouble?
eggosmile.gif

Jun 30, 2006 at 5:20 AM Post #246 of 2,143
You need to send it to a meet to have credibility
tongue.gif

NYC ones coming up
wink.gif
biggrin.gif
biggrin.gif
biggrin.gif

Jun 30, 2006 at 5:25 AM Post #248 of 2,143
Quote:

Ha ha ha! So, what's the verdict then?

Jun 30, 2006 at 5:31 AM Post #249 of 2,143
Quote:

Originally Posted by lan
You need to send it to a meet to have credibility
tongue.gif

NYC ones coming up
wink.gif
biggrin.gif
biggrin.gif
biggrin.gif

Agreed! Ori needs to take the show on the road. No one believes me anymore...

But I have seen the light...I have worshipped at the shrine of the shrill DAC1, only to find a false idol...I have tasted the forbidden fruit of the muddy DA10, only to be expelled from paradise...but friends, I have seen the light.

Does that kind of insane babble help my credibility?
biggrin.gif
biggrin.gif
biggrin.gif
tongue.gif

Seriously though, I think once Ori builds a few of these units they'll spread around and people can listen/compare for themselves and see if the sound is to their liking.

Jun 30, 2006 at 5:32 AM Post #250 of 2,143
Quote:

Originally Posted by zdogg
Agreed! Ori needs to take the show on the road. No one believes me anymore...

But I have seen the light...I have worshipped at the shrine of the shrill DAC1, only to find a false idol...I have tasted the forbidden fruit of the muddy DA10, only to be expelled from paradise...but friends, I have seen the light.

Does that kind of insane babble help my credibility?
biggrin.gif
biggrin.gif
biggrin.gif
tongue.gif

Seriously though, I think once Ori builds a few of these units they'll spread around and people can listen/compare for themselves and see if the sound is to their liking.

LOL--i love it
very_evil_smiley.gif

Jun 30, 2006 at 10:50 AM Post #252 of 2,143
Quote:

Originally Posted by rodentmacbeastie
Ok now, what is it going to take to convince Ori to start one for me... and how much? Ori, you may have a line for your mods!

yes.... very interested in offerings of future mods (since, i dont' dare do anymore myself). and Verdict of the old one: the soundstage is alot bigger, however, since i only had like 50 hours on it, i dont' want to say anything preburn-in.

Jun 30, 2006 at 1:53 PM Post #253 of 2,143
Quote:

yes.... very interested in offerings of future mods (since, i dont' dare do anymore myself). and Verdict of the old one: the soundstage is alot bigger, however, since i only had like 50 hours on it, i dont' want to say anything preburn-in.

Thanks. Taking into account burn in, any noticeable differences in bass, mids and treble that has struck you thus far?

Jun 30, 2006 at 2:41 PM Post #254 of 2,143
I don't know much about "output stages," why they are necessary, and what is acceptable and what's not in their desgign..... But would it be possible to bypass the op-amp output stage of the dac and run the signal directly to the discrete headamp for a discrete output? Would this give any improvements to the dac? Could the headamp still be used as a headamp if implemented this way?

Jun 30, 2006 at 6:03 PM Post #255 of 2,143
Just to summarise, these are the opamps that CAN be used in the DAC section?

AD843
AD845
AD8620
OPA627
OPA2604
DY2000

Any other suggestions for well-regarded opamps would be welcome!
smily_headphones1.gif

Users who are viewing this thread

Back